humility

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
does any1 know a practical way of attaining humility?....or simply how can one be humble? ..i would love to hear personal practices too..that would be greatly appreciated and more beneficial ..i think...honestly..anything...all feedback will be helpful.

Thank u in advance
-sister in Christ

Comments

• I think one thing one should do to stay humble is always remembering that even if i see myself a good person or i have many gifts i don't have to be glorious abt this because it's due to the work of the grace of God in me and that God who put in me his Grace can take it back. So one should always remember to give glory to God and not to oneself.
    Maybe another point is considering the qualities of other people and at the same time looking to one's sins not to qualities.

GB
    Pray for me
  • Try to think of the needs of others before you think of your own needs. Read how Our Lord behaved and try to walk in His way.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • I think one of the best example of humility is of St. Anthony the Great who was even humble towards the devils that tempted him. and just as Anglian and Peter said, think of others needs before yourself and don't focus on your good qualities so much and don't boast about them. but always remember that those good qualities you have were from God.
  • "Those who seek humility should bear in mind the three following
    things: that they are the worst of sinners, that they are the most
    despicable of all creatures since their state is an unnatural one,
    and that they are even more pitiable than the demons, since they
    are slaves to the demons. You will also profit if you say this to
    yourself: how do I know what or how many other people's sins are,
    or whether they are greater than or equal to my own? In our
    ignorance you and I , my soul, are worse than all men, we are dust
    and ashes under their feet. How can I not regard myself as more
    despicable than all other creatures, for they act in accordance
    with the nature they have been given, while I, owing to my
    innumerable sins, am in a state contrary to nature."

- St. Gregory of Sinai, Philokalia, Vol. IV.
  • Personally
    when ever i am in a position taht makes me feel proud
    i tend to revert to a reallly humiliating moment for me and that usually brings me back to my senses
    when i realize how low i felt then
  • Act, don't just think. If you act in a humble manner, the inner disposition will follow on its own.
  • hi every1

thanx for all the feedback...it is great..thanx

however..<orthodox11>
    [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5959.msg79627#msg79627 date=1195944859]
    Act, don't just think. If you act in a humble manner, the inner disposition will follow on its own.

how do we act humble..give me some examples pls..Thank u

-sister in Christ
  • they are all good points i might add that you all have addressed but another way...would be admitting you are wrong is also a good way, another is to be patient, don't judge people from their cover, going to visit the sick in a hospital, praying for those who are ill and doing community service as in fundraising for different types of causes!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • [quote author=perfectsinner link=topic=5959.msg79632#msg79632 date=1195946182]
    how do we act humble..give me some examples pls..Thank u

Listen more than you talk, don't give your opinions unless asked, don't make demands, don't talk about your own achievements/abilities, don't draw attention to yourself, cater for the needs and wants of others before your own, always ask for forgiveness (even when you feel you've done nothing wrong), aknowledge your mistakes, etc. etc. etc.
  • Usually when people think of humility they think of weak people or people who are always saying "I am nothing, I am a sinner, etc" but this is not the true humilty. The first way to achieve humility is to not think less of yourself, but to think of yourself less and thinking about others more. The second thing to do is be teachable and not be a know it all, listen to others. The third and most important thing you must realize is that all the good that you do is not by your own will and power but with the power of God. I think if you have any questions about humility you should listent to a sermon given by Fr. Anthony Messeh online at http://www.orthodoxsermons.org/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=176&Itemid=26

God Bless
  • hi every1

these r great replies thank u soo much..pls continue

unworthy1...the sermon or "Be clothed with Humility" if that is the one u r talking about..i have listened to that sermon so many times i have lost count...as a side note i love orthodoxsermons.org ..it is great..anyways even though i did listen to that sermon many times..i am having a hard time applying it in my life...(do u mean only that sermon or the whole series?)

all these things that were said...i do some of it...however regardless i am not humble..

thanx every1
    pls keep me in ur prayers
    -sister in Christ
  • I would say always think that other people are better than yourself, don't ever think that you are better than anyone, no matter what situation you are in. I recommend the book "Service and Humility" and "Christian Behavior" by Pope Kyrillos VI. Pope Kyrillos does an amazing job describing humility....as we all know he was probably the most humble person on this earth during his time....
  • read paradise of our fathers, learn form the saint's actions
  • thanx every1 for all those great replies..pls continue to post

i will try to get the books mentioned above and read them..thanx

-sister in Christ
  • [quote author=perfectsinner link=topic=5959.msg79644#msg79644 date=1195969779]
    hi every1

these r great replies thank u soo much..pls continue
    all these things that were said...i do some of it...however regardless i am not humble..

thanx every1
    -sister in Christ

perfectsinner...even though you might not know it, you just now are talking humbily, you just admitted you aren't humble, but that is also one way of being humble, is being modest!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Yes I know stuff on this topic (therefore I equal proud fool to you)

People have hated me at times or often because they think I think I know it all........ hmmmm I don't know.. did not david say "I know more than the ancients because I seek to do your commandments?" atleast after talkiing to God and asking others..  did not St James say "He who lacks wisdom let him ask of God.." therefore we need to have all knowledge.. st paul says to grow in knowledge...

"Those who seek humility should bear in mind the three following
    things: that they are the worst of sinners,

I AM THE WORST OF SINNERS? I WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS! DO I KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE.. AM I GOD TO SAY THIS ABOUT MYSELF? I DO NOT THINK THIS IS GODS WILL SOMETIMES.. HE SAID TO US "WHEN YOU ARE PERSECUTED REJOICE.. FOT THEN YOU KNOW YOU ARE LIKE THE PROPHETS" . Will that not cause you despair if you think like this? but I know this is wise for Jesus said "strive to enter the narrow gate... many......." if you do not think you are a sinner you will lose your soul..  I want to ask if you think like this will this stop you from being able to do good deeds? I understand you can sometimes feel that you are a big sinner but this state better not last long because then you will despair and if God does not help you to overcome the thing which is causing you trouble.. why call yourself a big sinner.. Yes I am a big sinner now but I wish to be set free .. "do not rejoice over me my enemies for when I fall I will arise" David himself called himself holy and that "a righteous man falls seven times and gets up again"  "preserve my life for I am holy" "I have walked in my integrity" "I have trusted in the LORD I will not slip"

that they are the most
    despicable of all creatures since their state is an unnatural one,
    and that they are even more pitiable than the demons, since they
    are slaves to the demons.

Yes I can be a slave to the devil (therefore my state is pitiable) but No I am NOT WORSE THAN THE DEVIL.. HE WILL HAVE THE WORST PUNISHMENT...... EVEN MORE SO FOR TEMPTING US RIGHT? unless humans can be worse than the devil himself..

You will also profit if you say this to
    yourself: how do I know what or how many other people's sins are,
    or whether they are greater than or equal to my own? In our
    ignorance you and I , my soul, are worse than all men, we are dust
    and ashes under their feet. How can I not regard myself as more
    despicable than all other creatures, for they act in accordance
    with the nature they have been given, while I, owing to my
    innumerable sins, am in a state contrary to nature."

What does this mean o St Gregory and fellow brethren.. ? unless it means since I have been baptised it is expected that I know better..

" another is to be patient, don't judge people from their cover, going to visit the sick in a hospital, praying for those who are ill and doing community service as in fundraising for different types of causes!
    "

Not sure I do any of them or if I ever will..  you don't judge the person as a whole being wicked but you should know their weak points.. a girl wearing a very short skirt can have many good points.. maybe she is a hard worker (as long as this is not because she finds more favor in the world because she is pretty) and she cares for people but still she is being proud when she does not care that others are tempted by her and are afraid of her.. and she mocks when someone says this is wrong.. when she seeks for more attention than other people... and she disrespects God.. I think today there are so many churches for people to know this is wrong.. and bad crimes on tv...

"Listen more than you talk, don't give your opinions unless asked, don't make demands, don't talk about your own achievements/abilities, don't draw attention to yourself, cater for the needs and wants of others before your own, always ask for forgiveness (even when you feel you've done nothing wrong), aknowledge your mistakes, etc. etc. etc."

don't give your opinions unless asked
    ... NOT SURE NOT SURE.. If I am asked and they know what I think and they still do not care what I said.. do they just want you to feel miserable in their presence?

cater for the needs and wants of others before your own?

can you always do this? what about strangers who it seems God does not want you to be close to them?

Usually when people think of humility they think of weak people or people who are always saying "I am nothing, I am a sinner, etc" but this is not the true humilty.

I think it is sometimes humility.. as long as you really believe it..  I am a sinner and It seems I will go to hell. .God save me.. is that not humility? if you were never like that you would not be on this board..

The first way to achieve humility is to not think less of yourself, but to think of yourself less and thinking about others more. The second thing to do is be teachable and not be a know it all, listen to others. The third and most important thing you must realize is that all the good that you do is not by your own will and power but with the power of God. I think if you have any questions about humility you should listent to a sermon given by Fr. Anthony Messeh online at http://www.orthodoxsermons.org/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=176&Itemid=26

God Bless

This is easy for him to say since he is a priest and he is married..  (you got it from Fr Anthony Messeh right?)

I hope I am humble so that I go to heaven.. if you are not humble you are a devil..

My priest helped me understand about humility a bit I think from what he said to me..

• Always decrease your self and consider every body above you. I manage to humiliate my self but somtimes fail and make people think that i'm showing off. Don't over do it! And don't make people hate u in the process.
    Pray 4 me
  • Being humble is also not just saying i am the worst of the worst to everybody who complements you or something like that because then its obvious your trying to show them that you are trying to be humble, but instead take the complement and think to yourself i'm not worthy of this complement. this doesn't just go for getting complements but in everything, you need to be humble in the site of God, not the just in the site of men. just like the pharisee and the tax collector. hope i helped

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness
  • hi mikeforjesus

I hope I am humble so that I go to heaven.. if you are not humble you are a devil..

i will begin by saying I AM A DEVIL...i am not humble
    ..anyways

"Those who seek humility should bear in mind the three following
    things: that they are the worst of sinners,

what r the other 2..that is the first one

I AM THE WORST OF SINNERS? I WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS! DO I KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE.. AM I GOD TO SAY THIS ABOUT MYSELF? I DO NOT THINK THIS IS GODS WILL SOMETIMES.. HE SAID TO US "WHEN YOU ARE PERSECUTED REJOICE.. FOT THEN YOU KNOW YOU ARE LIKE THE PROPHETS" . Will that not cause you despair if you think like this? but I know this is wise for Jesus said "strive to enter the narrow gate... many......." if you do not think you are a sinner you will lose your soul..  I want to ask if you think like this will this stop you from being able to do good deeds? I understand you can sometimes feel that you are a big sinner but this state better not last long because then you will despair and if God does not help you to overcome the thing which is causing you trouble.. why call yourself a big sinner.. Yes I am a big sinner now but I wish to be set free .. "do not rejoice over me my enemies for when I fall I will arise" David himself called himself holy and that "a righteous man falls seven times and gets up again"  "preserve my life for I am holy" "I have walked in my integrity" "I have trusted in the LORD I will not slip"

so r we supposed to say that we r the worst or not?....b/c u mention that if we do that we will fall in despair..however later on in ur post u say it is k...

Usually when people think of humility they think of weak people or people who are always saying "I am nothing, I am a sinner, etc" but this is not the true humilty.

I think it is sometimes humility.. as long as you really believe it..  I am a sinner and It seems I will go to hell. .God save me.. is that not humility? if you were never like that you would not be on this board..

i will admit that i say that but sometimes i dont necessarly believe it..

lastly,

This is easy for him to say since he is a priest and he is married..  (you got it from Fr Anthony Messeh right?)

y does it make it a difference if he is a priest or married..infact i think it would be harder for a priest to be humble..

sorry for all the questions mikeforjesus..i am just a little confused with it..i hope u dont mind answering ..thanx..sorry..

hi jydeacon

i really like that technique i will try using it

thanx every1 for ur great replies..pls continue to post

keep me in ur prayers
    -sister in Christ
  • hi mikeforjesus

i will begin by saying I AM A DEVIL...i am not humble
    ..anyways
    NO NO NO NO! . GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOU / ME........ SAVE US.. WE CRY TO YOU.. WE CANNOT BEAR ETERNAL TORTURE..

QUOTE FROM YOU MY FRIEND

"so r we supposed to say that we r the worst or not?....b/c u mention that if we do that we will fall in despair..however later on in ur post u say it is k..."

That is a very difficult question for me to answer.. maybe someone else can answer it.
    Isn't there a time for everything? a time to weep and a time to laugh? pope shenouda said you can have spiritual joy for overcoming a sin by the power of Jesus Christ that was troubling you for a long time..  I don't remember where he said it or what book.. but if St Gregory said that he knows what he was saying right? am I being proudful because I know I am being humble?  But I don't understand why I was not clear..  to me it seems hard for me to believe you can believe you are the worst sinner in the whole universe and still not despair.. (unless ofcourse you can really be saved just by humility and not doing good deeds)  but if you can do this and not despair this is wonderful because then you will not have to worry about the salvation of all the other many many on the planet who seem really bad.. but didn't st monica used to pray for st augustine her son who was living in sexual sin (?).. why did she not pray mostly for her own soul or did she?
      to me it seems hard for me to believe you can believe  you are the worst sinner in the whole universe and still not despair.. (unless ofcourse you can really be saved just by humility and not doing good deeds) but even then it is not a good thing to try because what you thought to be humility might not be and you will perish..  if we were really humble would not christ take away our sins and help us to do good.. for St James (?) said "God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble" but pope shenouda said as long as we are in the flesh there is hope for our salvation.. but he also said in another place those who spend their life in pleasure and then try to repent how will they "be perfect as your heavenly father is perfect" ?  I don't know what he meant..  if it is a condition for salvation (I think many might want to say NO it is not but I don't think salvation is going to be too easy for any to have ).. our greatest hope is try our best and strive and if we fail we hope to be saved like the right thief..

I think you could feel like you are the worst sinner.. no other has sinned as we have to excess and in the same way and you cannot imagine others doing it.. but like my priest said to have a balance... "but by the grace of God I am what I am..
    " "His grace toward me was not in vain but I laboured more abundantly than they have" .. but I have not striven like St Paul has though...

(I don't fully understand maybe why St Paul said someone in the bible that he does not judge himself.. he said he is not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges)

But everyone here REALLY SHOULD read this book.. EVERY PAGE..
    tasbeha.org/content/hh_books/Repentan/index.html

CONTENTS
    FOREWORD
    PART ONE
    WHAT IS REPENTANCE?
    1. What is Repentance?
    2. Repentance: Its Progression and Perfection.
    3. An Invitation to Repentance.
    4. Do Not Despair.
    5. Repentance between struggle and grace.
    6. The importance of repentance.
    7. The obstacles of repentance.
    8. Repentance and the church.
    PART TWO

READ THE DO NOT DESPAIR POINT.. ALL OF IT! it helped me..

lastly,
    y does it make it a difference if he is a priest or married..infact i think it would be harder for a priest to be humble..

Because a priest knows he has to serve in special ways (like he must visit the sick right? I don't think I can do these deeds in a good way)... it is still very hard for him but he KNOWS that it is what he must do.....and God must help him right? the late Father Andrawos the Samuelite, usually known as "a visitor from heaven" was a blind monk.. he could not attend to the needs of others as a priest can and even as I can..

Now I really need humility.. I am about to fall more in a very bad sin.. not exacly now.. but maybe tommorow.. pray for me.. I have to struggle quite a bit (not too much) to get rid of the sin.. I have fallen before but I am trying to repent..
    overall I hope I am growing...
    I am having a hard time also just to get my degree in university.. I already change my degree once.. A bishop I know by face (God forbid the envy of the devils harm him) got high distinction in university.. and I am having trouble just passing.. now I want to get high distinction haha..  but really I know I have not done much but I don't see that I could strive hard for my salvation.. all the world promotes laziness.. and I can not endure a hard life.. anyway sometimes I think I am going to heaven.... God make us worthy..

I sure sound like a got alot of wisdom and knowledge don't I? I felt good saying it.. hope God was with me.. all of us should have some knowledge about a topic such as this or else have we been completely asleep?

• hi mikeforjesus

i have to admit that post was full of alot of good stuff!!

i want to say  that i agree with alot that u were saying..about falling in despair..also the part about visiting pple in the hospital and stuff...(i dont do that either)..

i will try to take a look at that book..i actually read a part of it a while back..but i will try to continue it..God willing..not sure if it is gonna be soon..i have finals coming up..so ya..

and yes u do have alot of wisdom and knwoledge..really..i love how ur heart is soo sensitive to sin...that is great..that means u have already conquered the sins that u commit knowingly and now in the process of conquering the hidden sins that we commit..as we pray about them in "Holy Holy Holy" ..this part "the hidden and manifest O Lord forgive us.."

may God perserve u from that sin..and all other sins..and to keep the temptation of the devil away from u at all times...but have faith that whatever temptation God puts in front of u ...that u can overcome it and defeat the devil...God will never give u something u cant bear...i pray that u dont fall into this sin...rabena ma3ak..

.. all of us should have some knowledge about a topic such as this or else have we been completely asleep?

the thing is i do know a bit about this topic and asked and read about it alot..however..i am unable to find a practical means of applying it in my life..i am just really weak..or maybe i just dont know enough and i am just completly asleep..

last thing just for curiosity..what r u planning on getting a degree in?..and God willing u will get the distinction u want...only if He wills

thanx.. i pray that all goes well for u
    pls pray for me
    -sister in Christ
  • Thanks very much sister..

I plan on getting a degree in Engineering.. It seems very unlikely I will get high distinction... Pray that I pass atleast.

• mikeforjesus..God willing u will pass with His help ...what is impossible for man..is possible with God..

just remember this.."i can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"..i am sure u  will be successful with Gods help

anyways thanx every1..all these things r really helpful..i would like to learn more ..continue to post...thanx

pray for me
    -sister in Christ
  • http://www.bygpub.com/books/tg2rw/chap1excerpt.htm

Have you seen this site?

I have read some of it.. seems like an eye opener.. has not fully affected me yet. My parents are kinda rich and I have hardly ever worked in my whole life..

Maybe I will make a new post later.. if I think it helped me alot.

• [glow=red,2,300]Philippians 2:5-11[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]5.[/glow] let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,
    [glow=red,2,300]6.[/glow] who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,
    [glow=red,2,300]7.[/glow] but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.
    [glow=red,2,300]8.[/glow] And being found in appearance of a man, He humbeled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.
    [glow=red,2,300]9.[/glow] therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given him the name which is above every name,
    [glow=red,2,300]10.[/glow] that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth,
    [glow=red,2,300]11.[/glow] and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.