Kiahk Psalmody 2007

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Peace and Grace
Through the help of God, we started a humble project of compiling/editing a complete Kiahk Psalmody. We came up with the first edition, which you can download from the following link:

http://www.stgeorgestjoseph.ca/Downloads/Kiahk_Psalmody_2007_final.pdf

We pray to the Lord to help us complete this project in the near future. Please share this with others and give your comments.

Comments

• Dear ougai,
    Well done. God bless your works...
    Pray for us a lot
  • There is also a nice program set up by St. Shenouda and St. George's Coptic Orthodox Church of Jersey City. If you click, Presentations Setup (the second link) it has hymns for the whole year, all categorized and everything, and also includes the whole Kiahk Psalmody. ENJOY!!!
  • great job......but one major thing i first saw was Tennav.
    You don't say Tennav from te begining of Kiahk.
    Tennav goes with Aktonk....we don't say aktonk in Kiahk....u say akee.
  • it's good to see a kiahk psalmody online but just something i saw:
    in "ten thino" in the 23[sup]rd[/sup] verse it says: "pi o ou nak pi mairomi en aghathos, shere tek mav emparthenos..."
    while in every psalmody i've checked it says "..pi o ou entekmav emparthenos.."

and please consider what minagir said about "ten nav" because it's very striking to see it in a kiahk psalmody..
  • What is the source for all the annual tasbeha hymns, coptic, english, arabic?
  • [quote author=smile4ever link=topic=5948.msg79590#msg79590 date=1195836704]
    it's good to see a kiahk psalmody online but just something i saw:
    in "ten thino" in the 23[sup]rd[/sup] verse it says: "pi o ou nak pi mairomi en aghathos, shere tek mav emparthenos..."

and please consider what minagir said about "ten nav" because it's very striking to see it in a kiahk psalmody..

Thats the first time i heard of such a thing. I have yet to see a psalmodia that says "pi o ou entekmav" i have always seen it as "shere tekmav."
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5948.msg79598#msg79598 date=1195860388]
    [quote author=smile4ever link=topic=5948.msg79590#msg79590 date=1195836704]
    it's good to see a kiahk psalmody online but just something i saw:

Thats the first time i heard of such a thing. I have yet to see a psalmodia that says "pi o ou entekmav" i have always seen it as "shere tekmav."

That's a commen mistake to put [coptic]<ere[/coptic] instead of [coptic]Piwou[/coptic], refering to St.Mary.
    The Psalmody that is online in the above link of 'Articles' says [coptic]Piwou[/coptic], more important, the last edition of the Paramous monestary Psalmody have [coptic]Piwou[/coptic].
    that is also the same with what Ibrahim Ayad says, [coptic]Piwou[/coptic].

the only book i seen to put [coptic]<ere[/coptic] is the black Psalmody book done by Queens church.
  • I was just wondering if there was one where coptic, english, and arabic were in it instead of just english and coptic. I know it is demanding but the priest at my church really likes it and he wants one where there was arabic too so he can get rid of the old books that we have and start using the new one where every language can be read. Thank a lot.
  • [quote author=kmeka001 link=topic=5948.msg79674#msg79674 date=1196114773]
    I was just wondering if there was one where coptic, english, and arabic were in it instead of just english and coptic. I know it is demanding but the priest at my church really likes it and he wants one where there was arabic too so he can get rid of the old books that we have and start using the new one where every language can be read. Thank a lot.

why not make a make one to be published by ur church.
  • This message is for kmeka001:

I understand what you mean! If your church ahs a projector and screen you could use this presentation for the Kiahk Psalmody, and it does have the coptic, arabic and english.

it found here:http://www.stshenoudajc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=32

just download the correct coptic font and yeap you should be good to go!

BTW I like the PDF this thread is originally talking about a lot Thanks a lot for your hard work and dedication, GB!
  • [quote author=ougai link=topic=5948.msg79690#msg79690 date=1196121103]
    Hi everyone,
    My apology for the late reply, but I happen to travel a bit these days.

First, we found some errors, corrected them , and put it again for download. Please make sure that you always download the latest version (I know, I should start adding release number).

Second, I took the order of this Psalmody from the original Arabic/Coptic Kiahk Psalmody. There are many parts that I was not sure if I should include them or not. For example, beside Tennav, it contains the Lent Doxology. Since I am not sure anymore if this is correct or not (even though we never sing it), I chose to add it to comply with the original. Some of you might disagree with me, however, I chose not to be the one who will change one of our Church reference book.

Pray for me.

i like the way ur talkin.....but ur not changing a reference book......if so, why make a new one...

you put togather a book to make it easier for other to use.....having things that are not said and are not put in the way they are chanted will confuse the people. especially those who are not as knowledgable as we are, as deacons.

this also applys to the Lent doxology that u just mentioned....
  • some mistakes....

in [coptic]Ten;ynou[/coptic], the refrain is [coptic]Doxa ci ..[/coptic], not [coptic]Doza ci ..[/coptic].

also i tihnk ur coptic is missing a lot of jinkums......

also i still wanted to know what is ur source of the english text.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5948.msg79545#msg79545 date=1195619788]
    great job......but one major thing i first saw was Tennav.

i agree with u mina but what about this year...kiahk tasbeha will start on 29 hatoor ,so should we say aktonk or akie?
    what confused me more and made me ask, is that in the new version of kiahk psalmody published by El Sourian monistry- and was reviewed by the committe of rites - i found tennav.more over,i found a note that says
    "then we say alliluia (known as great alli) and then resurrection psali if it is OK,and then we read kiahk hoos"
    "ثم ابصاليه القيامة اذا وافق ثم تقال الليلويا (المعروفة باللى الكبير) بلحنها المعروف
    و بعدها يقرأ الهوس الكيهكى المعروف"

so .... what is ur opinion mina ?  ???
  • [quote author=shnoda link=topic=5948.msg80039#msg80039 date=1196952824]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=5948.msg79545#msg79545 date=1195619788]
    great job......but one major thing i first saw was Tennav.

i agree with u mina but what about this year...kiahk tasbeha will start on 29 hatoor ,so should we say aktonk or akie?
    what confused me more and made me ask, is that in the new version of kiahk psalmody published by El Sourian monistry- and was reviewed by the committe of rites - i found tennav.more over,i found a note that says
    "then we say alliluia (known as great alli) and then resurrection psali if it is OK,and then we read kiahk hoos"
    "ثم ابصاليه القيامة اذا وافق ثم تقال الليلويا (المعروفة باللى الكبير) بلحنها المعروف
    و بعدها يقرأ الهوس الكيهكى المعروف"

so .... what is ur opinion mina ?   ???

i really don't know. tell me, how did u manage to get that psalmody. i been trying from last year and couldn't. any way i can get it?
  • [quote author=ougai link=topic=5948.msg80061#msg80061 date=1197005955]
    Hi everone,
    I thank all of you for this discussion. It is nice to read the debates and here the opinion of those knowledgeable people out there. The preparation of this humble book was driven by love to our Church and supported by the prayers of my family. Originally, my daughter was agruing why does she has to switch to different books during that spuritual night, and then I realized that we have to have a "near-complete" or "complete" reference in the language that we use. Unfortunately, due to the lack of knowledge of the coptic language, my review was word-by-word from the Psalmody book. This was HECTIC and HARD. I still tried, and would appreciate if somone out there can make all the necessary correction in a printed copy and send it to me. As per the English language, I did not even have time to re-read it after typing. I could on both the Church youth (allover the world) and my family to review it this year   and get back to me with the necessary corrections.

I also pray to God to help me translate some songs, Psalis, etc for progress toward a final complete copy. I prommise that this will still be FREE for everyone to print and use.

Pray for me.

i think the hymn text library, which i am sure you know and have used texts from there, is the best place.

actually i started actually ordering the WHOLE kiahk psalmody from 2 source books that are trustable sources. i only started with an order to actually create a full and PERFECT psalmody online for everyone to use. But i personnaly know and other who help me somtimes that this wont be done this year. Also if anyone can help in translating from arabic, please contact me ASAP. I am allready working onthe kiahk vespers texts