Luck!!

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello,

They say that one should never over-congratulate themselves nor over-berate themselves as what happens to us in life is 50% luck and 50% our own will. We cannot be in control of 100% of our lives; some of us were born into prestige, some were born into poverty. That was just our luck (bad or good) that decided who will be our parents.

Or is it? Do we believe in "luck" or is everything "God's will"
What can we say is attributable to "Luck" , and what is "God's will"?
Does "luck" even exist for a christian?? Does the Coptic Orthodox Church believe in "Luck"?

What do you think also?

Comments

• No i don't think that we believe in luck, because everything that happens is the will of God and not just by chance without His consent. sorry i can't really say much more on this subject because i don't have the knowledge to just thought i'd give you my opinion
  • In the words of Albert Einstein:

"God does not play dice with the universe."

So the answer is no, we do not believe in luck :)
  • I like to believe that Luck is just God giving us a gift from him, to help ease our lives or make us happier. 
    i.e.
    if your running late for school, and ur runnign through the train station, and you kno your late, and you get on the track and you find that the train is just getting in, and you don't have to wait for the next one.  I find that as a tiny gift from God to make your day go by easier, not luck.
  • God has created the rules of the Universe; the mathematic rules of chance, and the conditions of the world. He foresaw before He created us the infinite possibilities that would be created, depending on when He created Adam and how He supernaturally interacts with us. He foresaw it, and He thus created.

So, does luck exist? That depends by which perspective. If it merely means fortunate, of course it exists. If it was blind, of course not, because God foresaw it before time's creation and allowed it.
  • Human will interacting with God's will.

We choose to be exiled from paradise. The suffering of the world is the real consequence of Adam's sin, and our own.
  • God's will for each of us is worked out in our lives in proportion to the way we listen to His will.

This does not mean (contrary to the belief of some American Protestants) that being a Christian means you will be rich and successful because God will reward you. Our reward in not in this world, and we should not be attached to it and its possessions because it is passing away.

The One who was without sin and loved us all, the Creator of the World came into the World and the World knew Him not; He died an agonising and shameful death upon the Cross, the victim of human cruelty and envy and selfishness. Yet on the third day He rose again and brought with Him our salvation.

Luck? Well, how fortunate we are that God is love and loves us enough to save us. But what do we do to show our gratitude - trust in luck??

In Christ,

Anglian
  • Dear QT,

Since the Good Lord allows us free will, we should not attribute every genetic accident to Him. Since He has a plan for us all, we should not attribute it to chance either.

His ways are not our ways, and there are things that we are not meant to understand. This, I know, is inadequate, but let us hope it prompts a better answer!

In Christ,
    Anglian
  • What is "bad" and what is "good"? Is suffering "bad" if it brings people to God, or if it humbles a person? What if it brings character?

God allowed genetic diversity and radiation to mutate our genes because they serve a purpose. We choose death, and when death was introduced into the world, so did suffering and toiling for food. Without the disabled, we would not feel privileged to be able, and strive to make due with our gifts. And the disabled have built up good character in many cases, and that is what they bring when they leave this transient life.

Everything we do has consequences, and those consequences can by the grace of God be used for our benefit. In this way, "bad luck" becomes a rather useless term, because it only describes one event rather than the whole life outlook.

No one can tell you what to feel, or make you feel it, only you can choose to let it affect you.
  • Dear Thomas,

A great response.

We do not know the Mind Of God. We are called to have faith and to repent; that's quite enough for most of us!

In Christ,

Anglian