Visiting St. Mary's Convent in Florida

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
I would like to visit St. Mary's Convent (their information is at the bottom of the www.suscopts.org website) in Florida that they just opened last year, for a personal retreat in December, God willing. I need to convince my parents in order to go, and my father of confession of course, since I need him to write a letter to the convent giving permission. Convincing my parents is the hardest part. My parents are scared that the nuns there might convince me to become a nun too! It's silly to even think that. It's as silly as being convinced by a guy to get married after meeting him once! My parents keep telling me that they're thinking about it, but I'm worried that they're just trying to avoid this whole thing and find more reasons for me to not . I'm trying my best to trust God though, since His permission matters the most. I've been praying about this for several months now and asking the saints to pray for me. Could you please pray for me too? I'd really appreciate it.

Jasmine

Comments

• May God be with you and choose for you the best. I was just there last August for a personal retreat away from everything. That is what I told my parents, I wanted a good spiritual week away from anything that can cause me to stress, I wanted to gain back my spiritual energy. If you need any help let me know. I will be glad to help. May God be with you.
    Plz pray for me too.
  • i was thinking are they real nuns or just sisters
  • Is this by St. Stephen's retreat center in Pensacola?
  • [quote author=donia_kiwi link=topic=5922.msg79262#msg79262 date=1194678544]
    i was thinking are they real nuns or just sisters

They are real nuns.
  • [quote author=Ti Agia Malatini link=topic=5922.msg79264#msg79264 date=1194704259]
    Is this by St. Stephen's retreat center in Pensacola?

I don't think so, but then again, I've never been to either of them to know.
  • [quote author=SaintaMaria05 link=topic=5922.msg79260#msg79260 date=1194675631]
    May God be with you and choose for you the best. I was just there last August for a personal retreat away from everything. That is what I told my parents, I wanted a good spiritual week away from anything that can cause me to stress, I wanted to gain back my spiritual energy. If you need any help let me know. I will be glad to help. May God be with you.
    Plz pray for me too.

Thank you. You were there last August?! I've never been there before. What was it like? What did you do there?! I am curious to know becuase I have never visited any sort of monastery before. I'm worried my parents wont be convinced, but I like what you said. I'll definately try that. I will pray for you too, but I prefer to pray for someone by their name; what is your name?
  • Hi giggly shy, im 15 minutes from where they are. They are not "nuns" they are "mokarasat" meaning "devoted/consecrated" people, they do not marry as nuns, but they are more into service in the world. They currently are not in a monastary, they are still working on building a monastary for them in Pensacola, they are currently in a house in new smyrna beach and will move to the monastary when its built. There are 2 sisters at the moment Tasony Sarah and tasony Phoebe, there is also tasoni Mariam (but she is currently in egypt but will be back). let me know if u have any questions
  • Dear giggly shy:
    I think Princess Mary has answered your questions, but on what I did there well here it is:
    We had the morning prayers starting at 7:00 am following by the readings of the day and meditation on them. Then couples of hours for clean up, Breakfast, activities like crafts. We studied the book of Daniel when I was there; we also had time to learn hymns, read a book and discuss it. We also prayed the 7 prayers of the agpeya and finally Tasbeha at night. It was really a very fruitful week. I hope that help please let me know if you need anything else.
    In Christ
    Maria
    P.s. we are members form the Evangelism group you joined lately Maria M.
  • [quote author=PrincessMary link=topic=5922.msg79280#msg79280 date=1194757586]
    Hi giggly shy, im 15 minutes from where they are. They are not "nuns" they are "mokarasat" meaning "devoted/consecrated" people, they do not marry as nuns, but they are more into service in the world. They currently are not in a monastary, they are still working on building a monastary for them in Pensacola, they are currently in a house in new smyrna beach and will move to the monastary when its built. There are 2 sisters at the moment Tasony Sarah and tasony Phoebe, there is also tasoni Mariam (but she is currently in egypt but will be back). let me know if u have any questions

Thanks for explaining to me. I had always thought that to be consecrated meant that you were a nun, but thanks to you, I now know that they aren't. Thanks for giving me information about them and the monastery. I was wondering, can a non-Arabic speaking person visit there? Would it be difficult for one to visit, since I know that they don't speak English fluently...

Jasmine
  • [quote author=SaintaMaria05 link=topic=5922.msg79281#msg79281 date=1194758564]
    Dear giggly shy:
    I think Princess Mary has answered your questions, but on what I did there well here it is:
    We had the morning prayers starting at 7:00 am following by the readings of the day and meditation on them. Then couples of hours for clean up, Breakfast, activities like crafts. We studied the book of Daniel when I was there; we also had time to learn hymns, read a book and discuss it. We also prayed the 7 prayers of the agpeya and finally Tasbeha at night. It was really a very fruitful week. I hope that help please let me know if you need anything else.
    In Christ
    Maria
    P.s. we are members form the Evangelism group you joined lately Maria M.

Maria,

What you did while you were there sounds so wonderful! I'm not so nervous about the idea of going now (I've always been nervous about visiting monasteries, becuase I've never known what they do there and what I would do there) Would it be possible for someone like me (who doesn't speak ARabic) to spend time there, since I heard that they aren't fluent in English...? Thanks for answering my questions :)

In Christ,
    Jasmine

ps: yes I remember you from the evangelism group. it's nice to meet you here! :)
  • Dear sister Jasmine:
    Well I really don't see it a problem. If you are going in December you're also going to meet couple of people there from my church and they only understand English so it should be ok. Just email them or email his grace and let them know. Prayers and bible studies were done in the language you prefer, tasbeha too. Let me know if you need any more help.
    Nice to meet you here too :)
  • [quote author=SaintaMaria05 link=topic=5922.msg79296#msg79296 date=1194821432]
    Dear sister Jasmine:
    Well I really don't see it a problem. If you are going in December you're also going to meet couple of people there from my church and they only understand English so it should be ok. Just email them or email his grace and let them know. Prayers and bible studies were done in the language you prefer, tasbeha too. Let me know if you need any more help.
    Nice to meet you here too :)

Maria,

Thanks for explaining everything to me! I look forward to going if, God-willing, my parents let me :)

Jasmine