St Anthony the Great

So I was reading something about the Great Saint were I came across something I found interesting, and a bit confusing:

St. Anthony lived in the Inner desert but had his diciples lving in a monastery.  And every couple of days whether according to God's will he would leave the desert adn go to the monastery to check up on them, and to talk to the people who had come from the cities to get his blessings.  Now upon arrival he would ask one of his dicisples who was named Abba Macarius if  the people visiting were either Egyptians or Jeruslemites.  And this was a code: The Egyptains were people who were very unlearned, humble of origing, etc. and the Jeruslemites were the brilliant thinkers, people who were learned etc.
this is the interesting part
if they were Egyptains, he'd have the monks feed them some lentils and send them away and he'd say a prayer for htem, yet if they were Jeruslemites he'd actualy sit down and spend the night talking and exchanging with them

Now Lord knows I dont mean to Judge this Great Saint, for I am not worthy, but I was wondering if you guys knew why he did this, send away the Egyptians and Stay with the Jeruslemites the book i was reading didnt explain it.  So I figured i'd see if anyone else knows this story and its explanation.

Comments

• Perhaps he treasured the meekness of the Egyptians and did not think to burden them with thoughts that would distract them?

I don't see the problem here- he showed hospitality to both, but in different ways. So what?
  • [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5782.msg77384#msg77384 date=1190433116]
    So I was reading something about the Great Saint were I came across something I found interesting, and a bit confusing:

St. Anthony lived in the Inner desert but had his diciples lving in a monastery.  And every couple of days whether according to God's will he would leave the desert adn go to the monastery to check up on them, and to talk to the people who had come from the cities to get his blessings.  Now upon arrival he would ask one of his dicisples who was named Abba Macarius if  the people visiting were either Egyptians or Jeruslemites.  And this was a code: The Egyptains were people who were very unlearned, humble of origing, etc. and the Jeruslemites were the brilliant thinkers, people who were learned etc.
    this is the interesting part
    if they were Egyptains, he'd have the monks feed them some lentils and send them away and he'd say a prayer for htem, yet if they were Jeruslemites he'd actualy sit down and spend the night talking and exchanging with them

Now Lord knows I dont mean to Judge this Great Saint, for I am not worthy, but I was wondering if you guys knew why he did this, send away the Egyptians and Stay with the Jeruslemites the book i was reading didnt explain it.  So I figured i'd see if anyone else knows this story and its explanation.

Hello:

Could you please let us know what book you were reading?  I don't have the answer to your question, but I do know that Saint Antony would have never done anything to hurt anyone. 

While we are on the topic of Saint Antony, I highly recommend all of you to view this DVD on Saint Antony's life.  I loved it so much that I watched it more than three times.  The priests do a wonderful job of explaining his beautiful life, his struggles and why he is such a great saint. 

Here is the link if you're interested:  http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?ProductNum=SAIN250

One of the things they said in the documentary was that during Saint Antony's time, the wilderness (the desert) was thought of as the dwelling place for the demons.  Saint Antony did not run away from the world or satan but rather, he confronted satan head on.  He was not afraid to put forth a fight with satan.  He did this for his love of our Lord.

I admire the strength Saint Antony showed, and the love he gave to all.  He is referred to as "God's Friend," and indeed he is +

God Bless 

• It's Actually from a very reliable source
    The Paradise of the Holy Fathers "Bostan El Rohban"
    in the story of hte Blessed Man Eulugious who ministered to Arian the Leper
  • It could easily just be because most of the prophets of the Bible are from Jerusalem and because they were the scholars of the most amazing book ever thought of being written. The Egyptians were the people that were there as long as the Jerusalemites but are not known for much religiously during St. Anthony's time.
  • May I mention that "egyptian" was a code that the people were here to look at him only and see him as if it was a show. That doesn't mean that they are uneducated as gregorythesinner said.

Jerusalemites was the code for people who are intrested in learning from him so they are not jus there to watch him but to learn from him. That doesn't mean they were educated as gregorythesinner said.

That was why the "egyptians" were presented with food and then they left however the St Anthony stayed discussing things and teaching the "jerusalemites".

I hope this made thing clear. If you are still unsure post me.

pray 4 me and god bless u
  • Kirolos is absolutely right...to be more accurate about what gregorytheSinner said , the story says that when St.Antony finds visitors in the monastery he asks the monk in charge whether they're "egyptians" or "jerusalemites", and according to the monk's answer he reacts diffrently as was mentioned by kirolos.