Nofri

2»

Comments

• [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I actually don't know that much about Coptic.  I'm just regurgitating what I've read and heard from friends.  :)
  • But i wonder what ages you are... are you in college or in school or are you already working?
    Looking forward to read more texts of you...

My name is Matt, 20 years old and I'm a medicin student at the uni of Amsterdam.
    It's always great to meet copts from Europe (especially when they are alhan freaks like me ;)), and I really really hope that I'll see you in the next european youth meeting next August in ............. Holland ;D
  • I'm Angelo, and I'm 18. I now live in California, USA, but I was born and raised in Cairo until the age of 9.
  • I informed myself... and i am in HICS (eklerekeja)... not in the clerical college as i´ve said... to eliminate misundersandings  :D... i am very sorry for my weak english  :-X
    I feel also very sorry, [coptic]Hoc `erof[/coptic], that i am not able to come to Holland this year cause i´ll be in egypt  :-[

I'm Angelo, and I'm 18. I now live in California, USA, but I was born and raised in Cairo until the age of 9.

I love egypt very much...but i also want to visit the usa when i´ve more time... i hope you´ll wait for me  :D

Yes, abouna Shenouda Doss from Ottawa Canada used sing us Nofri ba for our birthday -

"Nofri ba - bek a homiseen, pamenreet, nofri... "

I know the song [coptic]Nofri pe[/coptic]... we always sing it on birthday  :D

Thank you very much for your posts... I now really love the people in this forum... i hope that we´ll get good friends and good christians...  :D

[coptic]Vnou] `cmou erwten[/coptic]

[coptic]Gewrgioc[/coptic]
  • [coptic]nofri pacon Gewrgioc...nanirohi[/coptic]
    i'm an alhan freak too .. keep posting coptic words , it keeps the language alive .i learnt coptic by myself :books , forums..but i have to admit that my vocaulary is still limited to what is used in church ..

i'm interested in that book in german u talked about , can u send it to me ? if it is possible i'll be more than grateful..

• heeyy i luv alhan.  but iread coptic and write.  but speak well thats hard for me. :-\  but keep posting id be glad to lern.  8) rely plzz do thanksss ;D

/
    mahareel
    plzz p4m sister in Christ
  • i learnt coptic by myself :books , forums..but i have to admit that my vocaulary is still limited to what is used in church ..

I also began to learn coptic by myself... but after some years i noticed that when i learn it by myself it´ll never be so good as if i learn it from someone professional... and so i entered Higher Institute of Coptic Studies... ;)

i'm interested in that book in german u talked about , can u send it to me ? if it is possible i'll be more than grateful..

Dear smile4ever, this book is original from the UK, Dr. Nabil S. Isshak, transcribed by Ambrose Boles... We are about to translate it in German  :D
    But there is a website where you can find parts of this book in english: http://www.geocities.com/ambroseboles I hope it´ll help you...

[coptic]As pe pery] tacwni Mahareel[/coptic] = How are you sis mahareel?  :D
    [coptic]Nane emasw[/coptic] = Very good
    [coptic]Ari`hmot `slyl e;be `eroi[/coptic] = Plz pray for me  :)

• o mi gosh thats soo cool thanks!! can u plzz post upp like similat sentances and stuff. that would be very resorceful..

/
    mahareel
    plzz p4m sister in Christ
  • thank's Georgios for the link....

also began to learn coptic by myself... but after some years i noticed that when i learn it by myself it´ll never be so good as if i learn it from someone professional... and so i entered Higher Institute of Coptic Studies...

u are so lucky to have this opportunity to learn coptic in a professional way..i don't think i'll have this opportunity any time soon , i don't have enough time, but i'll do my best..

keep posting in coptic , it's really helpful.

May God be with u ..pray for me
  • welcome to the forums!
  • [quote author=Georgios link=topic=5456.msg76857#msg76857 date=1189683395]

i learnt coptic by myself :books , forums..but i have to admit that my vocaulary is still limited to what is used in church ..

I also began to learn coptic by myself... but after some years i noticed that when i learn it by myself it´ll never be so good as if i learn it from someone professional... and so i entered Higher Institute of Coptic Studies... ;)

Dear smile4ever, this book is original from the UK, Dr. Nabil S. Isshak, transcribed by Ambrose Boles... We are about to translate it in German  :D
    But there is a website where you can find parts of this book in english: http://www.geocities.com/ambroseboles I hope it´ll help you...

[coptic]As pe pery] tacwni Mahareel[/coptic] = How are you sis mahareel?  :D
    [coptic]Nane emasw[/coptic] = Very good
    [coptic]Ari`hmot `slyl e;be `eroi[/coptic] = Plz pray for me  :)

I would love to learn how to use Coptic as in conversations. That would be awesome because Coptic isn't even a national language, it is a recovered language. I only understand and know the words and prefixes of the Church, but if you know more, I would love to learn.
  • Thx very much Kyle & bballdude23
    Some coptic vocabulay:  :)

[coptic]Nane[/coptic] = good
    [coptic]Nane emasw[/coptic] = very good
    [coptic]Nane atoou`i[/coptic] = good morning
    [coptic]Nane rouhi[/coptic] = good evening
    [coptic]Nane jwrh[/coptic] = good night
    [coptic]Nofri[/coptic] = hi/hello
    [coptic]Ce[/coptic] = yes
    [coptic]`mmon[/coptic] = no
    [coptic]][/coptic] = I
    [coptic]]ka][/coptic] = I understand
    [coptic]]ka] an[/coptic] = I do not understand
    [coptic]comc[/coptic] = watch
    [coptic]pitelenau[/coptic] = TV*
    [coptic]niou`w[/coptic] = the news* (newly introduced words)  :D
    [coptic]]comc `eniou`w hi pitelenau[/coptic] = i watch the news on TV  ;D
    [coptic]Oujai[/coptic] = bye/cheer you
  • i think im a bit late hahah its kinda October now... but welcome Nofri!! thanks for the coptic words... i have just had a question... sorry im not too informed about this... r u kind of like Ibrahim Ayad... u dress in black like Abouna but ur only allowed to give the Blood of Christ during mass??? ... im really confused... i see that u r dressed in black but i dont know y. ive also seen a lot of young youth in Egypt dressed like that too ??? ??? can u please clarify this fact...
    Btw i didnt introduce myself.... my name is Sylvia and im from Canada,  i go to St. Mary and St. Athanasius church. Our church has a choir that comes on aghapy :D (HCOC Heritage of the Coptic Orthodox Church)
    i know i posted a bit too late... but anyone is welcome to clarify this for me... thanks in advance
    [coptic]Ari`hmot `slyl e;be `eroi [/coptic]
    Enough
  • No no... I am not allowed to give blood in the mass... also Ibrahim Ayad is not allowed to... only the deacon/archdeacon is allowed to do so... i am only an oghnostos (reader)... but i am in HICS (Higher Institute of Coptic studies (Eklerekea in arabic))... we learn almost everything about the coptic church (e.g. dogma, theology, Liturgy, Old & New Testament, geography in the bible, churchhistory, hymns, coptic arts & language and so on)... and the "eklerekis" are allowed to wear that black robe and the coptic cross...

Our church has a choir that comes on aghapy :D (HCOC Heritage of the Coptic Orthodox Church)

Wow... it must be a very good choir when it comes on aghapy... it´s a pity that we don´t have aghapy tv in austria :'(... but i think when i was in egypt i saw your choir on tv...  :D

[coptic]Ari`hmot `slyl e;be `eroi[/coptic]

--> [coptic]nane emasw[/coptic]!!! :D
  • Hmm ... Interesting.
    Now, why would an Ekleriki be allowed to wear a black tonia and a cross.  Of course, everybody is allowed to wear a cross, but a black tonia usually is a symbol of "death to the world".  So, does that mean that an Ekleriki is 'dead to the world'.  I always thought that the only ones who are 'dead to the world' are the monks and bishops/priests (including the rank of Diakon).  So, why then would an Ekliriki be allowed or even encourged to wear a black tonia.  On the contrary, I argue that Eklirikis are the kind of people that we need in the world, so they can teach the coming generations and fight off the heresies that arise.  I also think that wearing a black tonia would probably encourage some people to think that they are not far from being ordained priests, (Ahem, Max Michel, Ahem) which is a wrong and very misunderstood concept.  Please enlighten us Herr Georgios.
  • wooow i was way off  :o... lol but thanks for the clarification... so does that mean ur not allowed to take off ur black tonia? Do u have to wear it all the time??
  • In the Byzantine tradition, psaltis and anagnostis will only wear black robes during a service. However, those anagnostis who have also been ordained as acolytes/tape-bearers/ecclesiarchs (diff. names for same thing) will often wear a black cassock outside services, but generally only while they're in the church.

Wearing the pectoral cross is restricted to bishops and priests only.
  • But, you still haven't answered my question: "What for, what does this black tonia represent in terms of an Oghnostos or an acolyte?"
  • [quote author=Archdeacon link=topic=5456.msg78532#msg78532 date=1192829012]
    But, you still haven't answered my question: "What for, what does this black tonia represent in terms of an Oghnostos or an acolyte?"

I'm assuming it's worn simply as a way to distinguish them from the laymen - I don't believe there is any significant symbolism behind it. Also, the simple cassock worn by the anagnostis is different from the riassa worn by bishops, priests and deacons.
  • so does that mean ur not allowed to take off ur black tonia? Do u have to wear it all the time??

No... An ekleriki doesn’t have to wear it all the time - it’s not a law... it’s his decision... but for example you see Ibrahim Ayad often without black robe... Most eklerikis wear it in times of feasts... and only in the church...

Now, why would an Ekleriki be allowed to wear a black tonia and a cross.

To be honest, dear Herr Archdeacon ;), I’ve never asked me that question...
    But I think that most eklerikis wear that black robe, because they’ve learned almost everything about the bible and the church and her rites... and black also symbolizes [coptic]covia[/coptic] - wisdom. It’s not just clothing. It’s part of tradition, a testimony to the world of the ekleriki´s choice to serve God.
    Although it’s a tradition I don’t wear it… even in feasts…

I also think that wearing a black tonia would probably encourage some people to think that they are not far from being ordained priests, (Ahem, Max Michel, Ahem) which is a wrong and very misunderstood concept.

You’re right... this is a misunderstood concept… To calm you down: I don’t intend to be a priest… because of that I am studying laws beside HICS… But I can reassure you that God will choose his priests… And those who act against God’s will, God won’t accept them and they won’t have success… I feel so sorry for Max Michel and for all his followers… we as Christians need to pray for him and for all who follow him... we need to pray for him that God will open his eyes...
    I hope it helped…