hey Christians

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
If you could pick one book of the Bible to give to a new believer to read which would you pick
Which book of the Bible do you think gives the best overview of God's message?

Comments

• i don't think I can really narrow it down to one book...

Try the Epistles, that is, everything between Acts and Revelations in the New Testament.

+God Bless !
  • Dear all,
    I think I would choose The Gospel according to Matthew. Jesus' words directly out of His mouth, and His deeds in simple words; that is simpler than in The Gospel according to Mark and The Gospel according to John. The Gospel according to Luke comes second choice.
  • I'd say the book of Proverbs if were talkin OT like i cant think of one person who doesnt enjoy reading that book NT wise.......id read the book of St Mark........

it's a very simple that heavily focouses on Jesus Himself
    its main goal was to reach the gentiles who were practically all "new believer"
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5831.msg78303#msg78303 date=1192362041]
    Dear all,
    I think I would choose The Gospel according to Matthew. Jesus' words directly out of His mouth, and His deeds in simple words; that is simpler than in The Gospel according to Mark and The Gospel according to John. The Gospel according to Luke comes second choice.

I agree with the gospel of St. Matthew specifically chapters 5,6,7 and parts of 8. These chapters are very important.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=donia_kiwi link=topic=5831.msg78295#msg78295 date=1192346065]
    If you could pick one book of the Bible to give to a new believer to read which would you pick

I can't pick just one.  The two books I would choose though would be the Gospel of John and the Book of Isaiah (especially chapter 53).
  • I think the best book to read would be Genesis. It shows His love when creating the world. I think that Isaiah 53:5 is also a very nice verse that really shows His love as well. What more can anyone give. He gave His Only Begotten Son for the salvation of this doomed world.
  • Which book of the Bible do you think gives the best overview of God's message?

i can't say that there's one book which gives God's message ,u have to read all the bible to know what God's message is, every book gives u one prospective, but as a start for a new beleiver i would say the Gospel according to St.John and the first Epistle of St.John 
  • I love the gospel according to St. John because of Jesus' powerful words about his identity.
  • [quote author=donia_kiwi link=topic=5831.msg78295#msg78295 date=1192346065]

Saint Mark. Its the recommendation of countless of FoC's that new believers start with the Gospel of Saint Mark. Not because he's our Patron Saint, but apparently its with his account of our Lord's works.

This is in fact a very good and wise question. I truly advise you to ask your abouna on this. No doubt he will also suggest saint mark's Gospel. But he'll be able to explain why.

Before confession, its advised to read the 1st 5 chapters of Saint Mathew's Gospel. (According to FoC's). There are good reasons for this.

Good luck
  • how about all? lol, you could read 1,2, or 3 chapter a day and finish the whole bible in a year. or even less. you will purified, and blessed to learn everything in the Bible