Do we belive in the Big Bang theory or not?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I find that we could believe in the big bang -
maybe not? ???

Comments

• [quote author=epshiri link=topic=5785.msg77418#msg77418 date=1190567515]
    I find that we could believe in the big bang -
    maybe not? ???

I think the Church denounces the Big Bang because it is unlikely an explosion would create the universe (anybody correct me if I am wrong).
  • The Big Bang theory is not supported by the Church. If an explosion created the universe, then what is Genesis 1 talking about? It is God, the Holy Trinity, who created the universe and all that is in it. Did we forget that we pray in the Divine Liturgy: "The Creator of the heaven, the earth, the sea, and all that is therein,"?
  • If God wanted to bring the universe into being through a big bang, He could. And for all we know, maybe He did.
  • Exactly we don't know how God created everything we just know He did it. so really there is no reason to refute a theory like the Big Bang.
  • I remember once my 7th  grade Sunday School Teacher saying how sometimes science cna run parrallel to religon
    i.e.

God said Let their Be Light and out of sheer darnkness erupted light
    and
    A huge bang errupting creating light

So the "bang" could have been God's Speaking and thus Light was still created
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I would love to see anything that says that the Church denounces the Big Bang.  I do not see it in anyway contradicting Genesis.  That is true of other scientific theories that 'appear' to go against Scripture.
  • whenever i think about the big bang, i always think that God made the universe, and since the creation himself, maybe he made the universe and everythign ands make the big bang using, w/e..why not?
  • We don't support the Big Bang. Why? Because it brigns up more questions then answers how did this explosion occur, how can all this matter be produced through something the size of a pin, how was matter produced throught this, etc.
  • well, questions come by people about Revelations that cannot be answered yet. we dont have to know everything. that doesnt mean we dont support Revelations..
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=ANDPOC link=topic=5785.msg77527#msg77527 date=1190836479]
    We don't support the Big Bang. Why? Because it brigns up more questions then answers how did this explosion occur, how can all this matter be produced through something the size of a pin, how was matter produced throught this, etc.

Care to back that statement up?  I think the Church, in her wisdom, does not meddle in matters of science, as that is not the primary concern of the Church.  As such, on matters such as the big bang and evolution, the Church is silent.  Why?  Because, as was mentioned in the Evolution thread, the purpose of the Bible is not to speak about scientific theories.  Rather, the purpose of the Bible is to reveal God's plan of salvation for mankind.  Thus, there is no contradiction between science and faith, and there shouldn't be any.  The big bang theory could very well fit in with the Genesis account of creation, as could the theory of evolution.  One must be more open minded and not restrict themselves to a purely literal reading of Scripture.
  • Listen to these...
    http://www.coptichymns.net/modules.php?name=Coptic_Media&op=modload&file=index&p=Sermons/English Sermons/Fr Athanasius Iskander/Science_Creation_Bangs_and_Booms
    I think they are also in paper, so try e-mail Fr. Athanasius and asking him to mail them to you if you're interested.
  • Firstly I would like to say the Church does not condemn any kind of Discovery or inference from Scientific Findings. Why? Because Science can never refute the words of Scripture. However, what the Church will and does condemn is any philosophy that denies that there was ever (and might add all these relatively new theories such as Bing Bang and Evolution, contains a lot of philosophical existentialist language) a Creator who brought the whole of Corporeality from NOTHINGNESS. That Nature itself must have its very source in Supernature, that which is above and beyond nature, and from here we realize that not one Scientific theory will and never can refute it. However, Philosophical inferences from these theories (which are weighed on both sides (however one side must be in the Right)) are in reality going to be closer to that Truth or further from it. But no one can blame a theorist who uses Science to explain again Science. The other problem is that we seem to forget of Philosophy's Predation to Science. We forget about the value philosophy gives to Life. We forget about Logic and Rationality and her Superiority to Science which is Subject to Her. We forget that this is why Man is crowned over the Creation with the Likeness and Image of God. That is he contains something a mark that is above nature in one way, and bears likeness to what God is. This is the Spirit. The Spirit of the Logos. By which we can use our Logic to understand Life...
  • I think the Big Bang itself shows a few things:
    a) Time has a beginning
    b) the Universe was made ex nihlo
    c) that everything came into form at different times

I think that Big Bang is the "elaborate" story of the Universe that Genesis hinted and simplified because the Scriptures were not to be looked for science (God wanted to look at the heavens, because they declare His glory!) but, as Moomoo said before was meant for our Echatological life in the Church (by that I mean as the Lord's people, including the Jews at the OT times).
  • well when you say everything came into form at different times, yea God made the everything in 6 days. and God rested on the 7th day. and that we are living still on the 7th day.so each day God made somthing, it could of been 1 million years, we dont know. so i guess we already knew that things were made at different times, with out the Big Bang "discovery"
  • In my opinion, the Big Bang Theory is completely crazy because it was an explosion of which after this created all of the planets. It just doesn't fit.
  • And God said, "Let there be light"...sounds like the Big Bang to me, apply named.  :)
  • We have to be careful to be not reading the Holy Bible as a Science Textbook, if there is one thing I am certain about the six day passage is that it does not concern itself with teaching how, for that does not directly pertain to our Salvation, if you will allow me to reiterate.  But there is one thing that we should know, that our Faith is in perfect harmony with any Science, but we should not mistake Science for Faith, and Faith for Science.

• Moomoo,
    I have to say that many things that the Bible says and science says are completely different. We are not (well at least I am not) using the Bible as a Science Textbook because according to science, the earth is everlasting, while in theology, thee is a final Judgment Day.
  • That is simply false, any good look into any scientific facts you will see that the Earth a long with the Universe will one day come to an end. Btw, not any scientific observation is true, that's not what I said. But if there are things that seem contrary to the faith by means of literality, they do not have to be so.

Anyways, as Time itself Began at one point, so it is also believed by many scientific theorists to have its End (After this is a state of Eternity, or who knows). Also the space and time that  exploded from the primeval atom must in some billion years into the future come to an end.

Anyways belief in Scripture and Scientific discovery are two quite different things. We are certain of the Spiritual infallibility of the former, while the latter is an never-ending quest finding an answers about our Corporeality, how it functions and how it influences things, it does not go beyond or above that...
  • [quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5785.msg77600#msg77600 date=1190956450]
    Moomoo,
    I have to say that many things that the Bible says and science says are completely different. We are not (well at least I am not) using the Bible as a Science Textbook because according to science, the earth is everlasting, while in theology, thee is a final Judgment Day.

Actually that's not completely true.. scientists do believe that life will cease to exist on earth [and are actually trying to make life possible on other planets so we can leave earth...]. they've got many theories for the how factor, there's the explosion of the sun into a supernovae, or if not that, the death of the sun altogether.. and then there's the global warming epidemic.. and of cource, the famous 'big crunch'.. a theory that gravity will cause all matter in the universe to come togather causing a crunch.. [one that we obviously won't survive]

Anyway.. there are many disproved theories that condradict the Bible, such as the theory of evolution.

Even though scientists seem to be trying to disprove the existance of God, everything they find further supports the fact that He DOES exist!
    +
  • There is nothing necessarily inconsistent between the Big Bang theory (and it is just that, a theory) and the creation account in Genesis.

Atheists will, of course, try to resurrect the old 'science versus religion' dichotomy, but those sort of people will use, or misuse, any piece of information to advance their cause.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5785.msg77668#msg77668 date=1191134408]
    [quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5785.msg77600#msg77600 date=1190956450]
    Moomoo,

Actually that's not completely true.. scientists do believe that life will cease to exist on earth [and are actually trying to make life possible on other planets so we can leave earth...]. they've got many theories for the how factor, there's the explosion of the sun into a supernovae, or if not that, the death of the sun altogether.. and then there's the global warming epidemic.. and of cource, the famous 'big crunch'.. a theory that gravity will cause all matter in the universe to come togather causing a crunch.. [one that we obviously won't survive]

Anyway.. there are many disproved theories that condradict the Bible, such as the theory of evolution.

Even though scientists seem to be trying to disprove the existance of God, everything they find further supports the fact that He DOES exist!
    +

I am not sure on this issue and therefore I will not continue speaking about it.
  • Well we know the story of the creation which we all believe in. It doesn't five much detail about how god created everything. The Big Bang could have been true. It could have been caused by God and under his will to create every thing. Remember nobody's mind can ever know or find out how God has done somthing. On the other hand the big bang could be aload of them theories that have been faked to prove the bible wrong just like Darwins theorie of human evolution......
  • Wow, this is a very interesting topic!

How come I didn't pay attention to it?

Anyways, keep up with the great questions.

God bless you all.
  • Maybe I'm a bit late but I'll have you all know that the Big Bang Theory is almost un-theorified and fact-ified.  Very, very, soon it will be the Big Bang, period--no theory--fact of life just like the model of the human brain.  So to whom it may concern, stop hating on the Big Bang Theory because really, it's almost proven to be just about 100% true in the science world currently.  There is no doubt in any scientist's mind that this is how the universe came to be--except of course for the "conspiracy" theory loonies.  Signs of the Big Bang are apparent everywhere.  So like I said before, the Big Bang theory DOES NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM CONTRADICT CREATION.  God created the world.  So what?  Do you know how exactly He did it?  No?  Neither do I.  Let's keep it that way.  And be careful when you speak of science and religion because to say that religion and science do not go hand in hand, is blasphemy to He who created both science and faith.
  • Dear Servant,

Good points. We don't know how He created the universe, and it would not be at all surprising if scientists were to discover traces of His handiwork - what else would you expect? Of course atheists are not going to admit that - but such people would not admit anything they could not see and touch - but Our Lord told us how much more blessed were those who had no seen and touched but still believed.

As for evolution, that is another ballgame.

In Christ,

Anglian