Judaism

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hello,
Can someone answer the following questions:

a) In the old testament, could someone who was not a descendant from one of the 12 tribes of Israel become a Jew? Or did they HAVE to be born a jew? I guess nowadays someone CAN convert to judaism.

b) What/who were the Sadduccess? What was their relationship with the Mosaic Law??

c) Saint Paul was born a roman. He didnt pay for it, but if he was born a roman, then he was a roman jew? Of jewish parents? - silly question, I guess, but could u confirm?

Thanks

Comments

• [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5666.msg75617#msg75617 date=1187299257]
    a) In the old testament, could someone who was not a descendant from one of the 12 tribes of Israel become a Jew? Or did they HAVE to be born a jew? I guess nowadays someone CAN convert to judaism.

It was possible for a gentile to become part of the People of Israel by accepting cirumcision. These were called Proselytes.

b) What/who were the Sadduccess? What was their relationship with the Mosaic Law??

Sadducees, unlike the Pharisees, did not believe in the resurrection of the dead. Nor did they accept the idea of an oral Torah, but kept only what was written.

They are described as being from among the wealthy and powerful segment of Jewish society, but ceased to exist as a group after the coming of Christ and the destruction of the Temple.

c) Saint Paul was born a roman. He didnt pay for it, but if he was born a roman, then he was a roman jew? Of jewish parents? - silly question, I guess, but could u confirm?

He was a Jew, from the tribe of Benjamin, but had Roman citizenship.
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5666.msg75619#msg75619 date=1187303491]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5666.msg75617#msg75617 date=1187299257]

It was possible for a gentile to become part of the People of Israel by accepting cirumcision. These were called Proselytes.

Sadducees, unlike the Pharisees, did not believe in the resurrection of the dead. Nor did they accept the idea of an oral Torah, but kept only what was written.

They are described as being from among the wealthy and powerful segment of Jewish society, but ceased to exist as a group after the coming of Christ and the destruction of the Temple.

He was a Jew, from the tribe of Benjamin, but had Roman citizenship.

Hi, so let's say a gentile became a jew, and accepted circumcision, were they treated anyway differently than jews who were born into 1 of the 12 tribes?
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5666.msg75620#msg75620 date=1187303612]
    Hi, so let's say a gentile became a jew, and accepted circumcision, were they treated anyway differently than jews who were born into 1 of the 12 tribes?

De juris, I don't know if there was any real distinction made. But de facto I'm sure there was a difference.
  • From what i remember
    St. Paul was of Jewish decent but had Roman Citizenship because of his place of birth
    Tarsus
    am I right?
  • St. Paul's Roman citizenship seems to have come via his father - who may have been born one or may have paid for it.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5666.msg75620#msg75620 date=1187303612]

Yes, they can convert. Our beloved Ruth was a convert. :)

I believe you also asked if a convert was treated equal? The answer is yes.

Basically, here is how it is.. In Judaism, the Rabbi wants to make sure that you truly want to become a Jew, and you are not faking it. (In Judaism no one HAS to be a Jew to go to Heaven, so they do not seek converts like we do.)

So the Rabbi turns you down three times.. He is trying to test you. If you give up, then you will not be able to convert. So if he turns you down, he is not serious.. And if you are truly seeking Judaism, you will bug him and tell him you really want to.

So, during the Conversion process, they do not treat you all that good, because they are testing you.

However, once you convert, you are a Jew.. And you are treated like a Jew.

If you read Jewish conversion stories, a lot of people say that before they were Jews and they were in the process, they were treated not very good. But as soon as they were a Jew they were treated like every other Jew!