can't think of a subject heading..

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Hmm.. sometimes i feel like i'm avoiding things/people that might challenge my thoughts or beliefs.. Or sometimes i'm in a particular situation and i just kind of stop listening to whoevers talking because i don't want to hear what they have to say anymore...

Is that wrong. ?

Comments

• If you feel you are not strong enough in faith that little things can shake you(or big things) then you should definetly avoid them and you are 1000% correct in doing so. but if you just stop listening just because you don't want to hear them is not necesarilly wrong but more mean than anything else. would you like it if you were talking with someone and they just stoped listening because they don't want to hear what you have to say?
  • I guess not..

But I really don't like it when people talk rubbish and don't agree with me no matter what i have to say. I normally igonore them at ths stage [though, I don't let them notice].. because if i don't, it could get ugly.

I guess it is mean though.. thankyou.
  • I understand where you are coming from and i hate it when people talk just for the sake of talking and have nothing important to add to the conversation. but you should do to them what you want done to you so even if they are talking rubbish just listen knowing that you would want to be heard if you were in their position. but again like i said in my previous post if this has something to do with faith and by listening to something that can be detiremental to you than you should definetly stop listening to them and say a short prayer so you don't fall into temptation
  • just like jydeacon said,

if it has to do with faith and u dont feel comptent to fight it then the best thing to do is "run-away" from the situation
    runing away is not a cowardly act, so dont look down upon yourself for doing it,

but if its just random talk htat you dont feel interested in, then without being rude, the best way to deal with it (cuz im just like u) is to slowly but surely ease ur way out of the convo by starting the ending process by using words like "Oh wow thats awesome" or "ya thas very interesting"

hope i helped
  • [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5694.msg76076#msg76076 date=1188057628]
    but if its just random talk htat you dont feel interested in, then without being rude, the best way to deal with it (cuz im just like u) is to slowly but surely ease ur way out of the convo by starting the ending process by using words like "Oh wow thats awesome" or "ya thas very interesting"

LOL.

[quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5694.msg76076#msg76076 date=1188057628]
    if it has to do with faith and u dont feel comptent to fight it then the best thing to do is "run-away" from the situation
    runing away is not a cowardly act, so dont look down upon yourself for doing it,

Why would you run away from that stuff though.. I mean.. shouldn't we have the answers.. ? Why should something like that shake our faith? Well sometimes it's just silly, eg. Jesus having 'literal' brothers and getting married.. etc.. but sometimes it's bigger than that.. for example, at school, many people say to me 'if God existed, why do bad things happen'.. or 'why does God let people die' or even, 'if God really existed, He wouldv'e given us a manual, He would speak to us.' Things like that, we have answers to..
    though, some people dont allow room for any kind of logic to enter their mind.. so to those people, should we stay open minded and patiently and calmly explain the validity of their statements, or should we just walk away and ignore, since we know we won't get through to them anyway.. (cause thats what I would do.. ?)
  • If you know the answer completely, then answer without hesitation. If you are not 100% sure, do not say anything. There is no shame in not knowing. The real shame is refusing to learn.
  • [quote author=EpNomos EnTaio link=topic=5694.msg76086#msg76086 date=1188096670]
    If you know the answer completely, then answer without hesitation. If you are not 100% sure, do not say anything. There is no shame in not knowing. The real shame is refusing to learn.

True..
    thankyou! :)
  • Why would you run away from that stuff though.. I mean.. shouldn't we have the answers.. ?

Well I meant running away if we dont ahve answers which was said by my other brohters and sisters here

Running away is never a bad thing though when you are in a situation that can compromise your beliefs or cause you to sin. I heard somewhere this peice on running away: Moses the Prophet ranaway after killing the Egyptian.  Our Lord Jesus Christ himself ran away from Herod.  In both cases, they were "running away" from Evils.

So these people are Evil at times, so its better if we runaway from them. 

A mormon once came to our church, and our preist was ok with it because they were just observing but then they started criticizing, so abouna kicked them out, and they answered saying "Isn't everyone welcome in Gods Kingdom" to which Abouna replied, "eveyrone but the devils"

So yet again he was runnign away from evil lol
  • Hizz Child,

I refer you to Romans 16:17-20:

“Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them. For those who are such do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple. For your obedience has become known to all. Therefore I am glad on your behalf; but I want you to be wise in what is good, and simple concerning evil. And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you”

In His Name
  • i think in terms of answering question or talking or listening to non believer its diffretn as already said if u know the answer then speak freely if u doint then just stick to sometyhing that is moving for u and repaet that and be silent just say this is all i ahve to say for example one thing good would be to quote ur favourite versue like mine i usually do

i just say the following and stay quite

Matthew 5:8 - "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
    i love this versus its an inspiration its my reason for more deeper faith its encouraging me into a certain virtue etc then i say thats all i have to say about my faith if u desire more go seek ur self but that s all i ahe to say

theres many versus u could say u could even say john 3:16 and then refrain from talking to them if u know its useless but do not disrespect them listen to them and if they cast a doubt i ur mind come bk and reaffrim ur self in faith through research prayer and the clergy

but if u ignore people whenu are in a youth meeting and u doint wanna listen to thier view i find that very upsetting aboslutely up setting and makes me very angry i pratically dispise people who i come across who just wanna put thier view ahead and pulll faces when someone else says something that most likely is true.

i have a few like that in my church it sickens me tothe stomach i hope u r not part of that group

God bless :-\
  • well.. i dont make faces.  :'(

• hey i am not directing this to u just merly stating my opinion and experience
    i have had that happen to me and since then waht ever little hallow hi was happening has never happened with those particular people. its pretty sad. i doint wann a say it but i practically dispise that person and i beleive so does that person in refrence to me.

i doint think its meant to be like that so we should all cultivate an attitude that can bear others opinion and give them a space that shows we respect thier opinion and the individual but we might or might not agree with the idea presented. there in it i belive is a hidden virtue so many of  our saints examplify it. also being not resent ful and having a gentle appreance of listening rather an annoyed or something else really plays to the benfit of driving ur own message futher in a more power ful way.

i hope i am not confusing
    pray for my weak self
  • you're absolutely right.
    ;)

thanksyou!
  • [quote author=joyisgod link=topic=5694.msg76107#msg76107 date=1188193049]

I refer you to Romans 16:17-20:

“Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them. For those who are such do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple. For your obedience has become known to all. Therefore I am glad on your behalf; but I want you to be wise in what is good, and simple concerning evil. And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you”

This is a beautiful verse. Look at Proverbs 14:23 "In all labor there is profit, But idle chatter leads only to poverty." Simply put, if the conversation will lead to no where, there is no point in continuing the conversation.
    If at school they ask you questions which attack your faith, then it can mean 2 things. 1. They are genuinly seeking an answer on faith or 2. They are not so much interested in the answer as much as they are interested in attacking your faith.
    If they are the first, then all good and well and you can try to answer their questions as best you can. If they are the second type, then there is no point in continuing the conversation, as no matter how well you answer the question, they might not really care.

GBU
    Doogie
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Joyisgod presents a very good verse about avoiding those who could lead you astray.  However, there will be times when such confrontation is unavoidable and so see what St. Peter has to say about it:

[quote=1 Peter 3:15]Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you;

If you don't know an answer, that is okay.  Simply acknowledge that you don't know.  But be sure to tell the person that you will try to find out and get back to them.  There is always an answer to virtually every question asked, and you should make every effort to find out what it is.  In the end, you benefit.  You've learned more about your faith and in the future, are able to answer people who may challenge your beliefs.
  • hmm.. so many things to considerr..
    ok.. so when putting together what everyone said.. i get;

You should always listen to what people have to say, unless it's causing confusion about your beliefs.. in that case you should end the conversation politely, and do some research.. But if someone confronts you with something you are 100% about.. you should give them direct answers.. If it's just a matter of opinion kind of thing [non-religious] you should respect others oppinions even if you dont agree...?

did i get all that right?
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Sounds good to me.  ;)