revealing clothe....??

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
why is it that most cops like flip when they see someone wearing shorts, or a (shorter) skirt, or like a tank top or somethingg and are soo quick to judge them??

what's SOOO incredibly wrong about wearing say a skirt or shorts?? is it the fact that they reveal a little more leg??? well, everyone has legs, everyone has thighs, everyone has shoulderss...and everyone knows this, soo what's the big deal??

Comments

• [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5649.msg75337#msg75337 date=1186683907]
    why is it that most cops like flip when they see someone wearing shorts, or a (shorter) skirt, or like a tank top or somethingg and are soo quick to judge them??

what's SOOO incredibly wrong about wearing say a skirt or shorts?? is it the fact that they reveal a little more leg??? well, everyone has legs, everyone has thighs, everyone has shoulderss...and everyone knows this, soo what's the big deal??

the big deal is that there are traditions and life ways that we learned in egypt as copts that we wont let go of. i personnally respect those tradtions becasue they are rit. why would u need to show of ur body keda ya3ny. ur body is the temple of God and u should respect it that way and let other do so hence they sin in their thoughts.
  • exactly as minagir said
    we are temples of God by showing ourselves off what would that imply.....taht we are so empty and shallow or so superfiscial that we have to use our bodies to get attetnion
    Girls shouldnt be looking for taht kind of attnetion its not good, if anything its disrespectful
    and what makes matters worse is that some girls come to church dressed like that
    showing more skin than neccesary and if thas not bad enough they have communion w/ their chest/shoulders revealed.

Unforutanelty todays western society STRESSES more SKIN...and more style...but girls should konw that a person could be stylish in a Christian way
  • i agree with you guyz when you said our bodies are the temple of God and about traditions and all the good stuff you said BUT girls dont necesarily have to go out fully covered..i really dont know how to put this in the right way..but when you go to the beach everyone would be wearing bikinies and shorts and tang tops, and you can spot egyptians miles away cuz they would be the only ones actually wearing something..you think that doesn't look awkward?!  its very normal here to go out with shorts and skirts..ofcourse i agree with not wearing them @ church..but outside..when its 100 degres and wer wearing a la7af and going out covered from head to toe..idk how that would look but doesn't sound comfy to me..and btw dont get me wrong here but when girls wear shorts and tang tops(outside church) they are not trying to show off or get attention.. am just saying everywhere has its special way to dress..dresses are not made for the beach and bikinies are not made for church!!

GBU
    sandra
  • lol well personally
    shorts and tanks are ok but not for most occasions
    i mean sure at the beach tanks and short are acceptable......but to go out w/ friends with it...kinda questionable i mean wat would the point be....comfort???

i mean t-shirts are comfy and shorts arent bad as long as the height and tightness are decent

but hey thats  jus my opinon
  • what if it's not to show off, i mean sometimes i wear shorts...for like a whole day and go with them wherever, but only cuz i live in vegas, where it's impossible to cover up w/o dieing of heat. i mean..it's not like i run around wearing a bikkkini all day or anythingg. and im not talking about wearing things like that to church, cuz that's just wrongg, but wearing it casuallyy is a different storyy.

everyone has a body, what is soo wrong about revealing it?? i mean..like you already know i have legss , rightt? so, now you see them...what's the big deall?? :/

i personnally respect those tradtions becasue they are rit

like my aunts recently went to visit egypt and they came back..like depressed. they said they couln't even wear swimsuits to the beach cuz they would get dirty looks and there were like no tourist there, it was all like muslim people covered up from head to toe, literally...is this your impression of "right"??
  • thats my impression of too drastic but respectful

i didnt say shorts were wrong or anythign but short shorts.. i mean

check this scenario out
    ok its vegas and its 111 degrees outside
    u have two things left in ur closet a decnet skirt or shorts taht are funky purple taht somehow survived the 80s (can u honeslty say you'd wear those cuz its hott and go out w/ them and stuff)  i mean....im not judgin im jus saying its something almost subconscious but controlable
    and its not only girls i mean im a guy...and i'd be a hypocrite if i said i dont do the same (not neccesarilly to show my legs off lol) but like the wya i dress isnt exactly a dress shirt with dress pants (like most copts idolize)
  • copticcross, I have two things to say.The first one is something you somewhat already mentioned. In Egypt, it can be hotter then vegas. But how do muslim women walk around with layers of headscarves some of them extending down to their feet? That's because of their Extremely Strong faith in Islam. Why don't coptic or catholic nuns walk around with tank tops?

My second point is that it might not be about you. It might be about the fact that through you the devil is causing other people to sin. It is much easier for people to see your privates with tank tops and shorts then with longer clothes. Also, you might turn a guy on and god forbid but he may want to rape you or something.
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5649.msg75342#msg75342 date=1186693037]
    everyone has a body, what is soo wrong about revealing it?? i mean..like you already know i have legss , rightt? so, now you see them...what's the big deall?? :/

Showing skin can make others sin... and if you have made another person sin through something thats in your control, (eg. your clothes) then that's a sin in  itself..

And about the church clothing vs. outside church clothing.. yes some things are not suitable to wear to church.. but NOTT because they're too revealing.. anything that's too revealing to wear to church shouldn't be worn at all.. You don't wear it to church out of respect for God, right.. ? Well believe it or not, He's everywhere, therefore you should dress appropriately alll the time.. now, the only difference between the clothes you wear to church and the clothes you wear outside church is how formal/casual they are.. a lot of people choose to wear formal clothes to church...
    [personally, i wear my trackies to church, lol]

ok now about the swimsuit issue, this is how i see it.. it all depends on motives. if you are going out dressed in anyyy way [not necessarily in 'revealing' clothes] in order to get attention, then that's wrong.. you should in fact do the opposite.. try fit in with the surroundings so you dont stand out.. and if you're going out on the each in a galabeya and a headscarf.. i do believe people will stare. So i think the solution to the problem is to wear a normal swimsuit [one piece/2 piece, not bikini] and a pair of swimming shorts... ennough so you're not showing too much and not standing out at the same time..

That being said.. I don't understand WHY this issue is so focussed on women.. I mean, women are physically attracted to men, women fall into the sin of lust... men are people TOO so they too are a temple of the Spirit...

So why is it approriate for a man to wear practically nothing and women have to cover up???
  • thats exactly wat am saying..dress like the surrounding.
    BUT if we're talking about egypt here, now thats diff. i was talkin to my best friend from egypt today and she told me she just came back from a masyaf and she sent me pics..EVERYONE that came out in that pic was covered up from head to toe IN THE WATER!  so thats another issue..but here..i dont think its a big deal as long as it doesn't stand out AND not too revealing..!!

GBU
    sandra
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

People, this is a non-issue.  In a word (well, two actually): common sense.  That's all there is to it.  Do not take extremes.  You are all intelligent individuals.  You know what is appropriate and what isn't.  Just use your common sense and you'll know what is appropriate to wear and what isn't.
  • the thing with common sense is it's neither common nor is it a sense.
  • [quote author=Doubting Thomas link=topic=5649.msg75367#msg75367 date=1186719624]
    the thing with common sense is it's neither common nor is it a sense.

how about common sense to copts not to everyone else.!!!
  • Hi, I totally see your point. However, unless you are at a beach, i don't think it would be wise to wear skimpy clothes that reveal your body.

Adam and Eve were naked, and they were embarassed over it. Did God leave them naked, or did He cover them?? He covered them!

But its as if your generation want to reveal more, and are taking off the garments which clothed you from the embarrassement of your nakedness. Legs are not wrong, thighs are not wrong, Buttocks are definately not a crime, but its just most people are embarassed, although we all have these body parts, when they are exposed.

You know, I see women's magazine's in newsagents etc, and there was one, where all this woman was wearing was a skirt, barely the size of a belt, covering her. I looked, and I felt so bad for this woman, that I hid this magazine behind some newspapers to hide her from this embarassement.

Now, if you are not embarassed by revealing your body, perhaps others may be embarrassed by looking at you?? 

I remember I read once: If superman is so smart, why does he wear his underpants outside his trousers?? And since reading this, my respect for superman has gone down BIG TIME!!!

• An interesting discussion, and one which is to some extent culturally conditioned. What women and men wear to the beach in California would be unacceptable in Alexandria; but it would probably be equally unacceptable in Missouri or Norfolk UK. There is no doubt that in Muslim countries, or countries where Muslim influence is dominant, what can be worn in public by women is looked upon with a severity that is absent in the west.

But there is also another cultural element at work here which is noticeable - and that is the view that men cannot help themselves - if they see a woman dressed in a short skirt they are just going to be so attracted to her that it is best she covers up quick. Now what does this really say? That men are such poor weak-willed creatures that they have little self-control? Perhaps all it really says is that for men used to living in Muslim countries the sudden appearance of so much of the female form gives them a problem, but they'd rather the woman dealt with it by covering up; would it not be better if such men learned a little respect for themselves and for women by developing some self-control?

Of course in religious situations we should all dress with respect for the Lord - and that means no t-shirts for the guys in my view. But for those living in western cultures, it is a matter of getting used to the fact that women have equal rights and the freedom to dress as they want. Do some people abuse that freedom? Well, show me any freedom that does not get abused from time to time; that's not an argument for getting rid of the freedom.

Again, for anyone brought up in a Christian environment, there are rules and customs that one adopts from that background, and it would be much better if we all showed some respect for each other and ourselves by dressing in a manner that does not give offence.

That said, language can get in the way too. I still treasure the moment an American woman friend went into a local clothes store with me and asked the saleswoman for 'some suspenders for her husband'.

In Christ,

Anglian

[quote author=Doubting Thomas link=topic=5649.msg75367#msg75367 date=1186719624]
    the thing with common sense is it's neither common nor is it a sense.

Perhaps in modern "Western" society, there is nothing common or sensical about 'common sense'.  However, within the Church, one can find a common Church sense, which is what was implied by my usage of 'common sense'.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5649.msg75372#msg75372 date=1186738447]
    You know, I see women's magazine's in newsagents etc, and there was one, where all this woman was wearing was a skirt, barely the size of a belt, covering her. I looked, and I felt so bad for this woman, that I hid this magazine behind some newspapers to hide her from this embarassement.

hahahahahaha wow arent u so considerate hahahahahahha

firstly i dont belive in the term common sense..........wat is common is not always acceptable to others or common........i would however say that there is unspoken norms of behaviour and dress code in the church setting and even in society in general.....

in saying that...we cant be hypocrites and say gurls need to respect their bodies but ignore men walking around with no shirts or tight tanks......

tight tanks......

Ew.  Now there's a nasty mental image.
  • [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5649.msg75420#msg75420 date=1186838827]
    in saying that...we cant be hypocrites and say gurls need to respect their bodies but ignore men walking around with no shirts or tight tanks......

i don't think there would be a male who would go to church that way. if they do, tan they r really out of it. and also am sure other would tell him that because men r that way.

but when it comes to girls, i guess when one dress inappropriatly, other gals tend to may be not talk about, igonore, or maybe some talk aobut it but that just doesn't work.
    am saying that because i guess it just keeps going and going and never stops. same ppl over and over doing the same thing.
  • i dont think anyone would go to churvh with a tank top---jus syaing

qalso shorts are not that bad but like if a person can c ur thighs then thast bad, y would would want to walk around half naked--leg wise

ALso, egyprians ahte those clothes so y were them {ppl r going to llook aty you like u re weird or something and u r going to be doing a sin at the same time}--even in the summer there are better things for you to wear--just saying

but nowi have a question--its not bad to wear tanks in the pool or beach right?

just wondering

hope i helped--plz pray 4 me

EgY
  • no tis not.....lol i mean
    ur not gonna wear a galabeya to the beach lol
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5649.msg75342#msg75342 date=1186693037]

When you say what is soo wrong about revealing your body, then you would be talking about your whole body not just your legs, and besides the Bible says that if any man looks at a woman in lust he has already committed adultery with her in his heart. So if you or other girls weren't short shorts or skirts or any tight stuff and dressing like christian young ladies should that wouldn't be a problem in today's society.

In Christ,

abosefien
  • Religous wise.... like most people said, It is a sin!

Society wise.... People like to make men el haba oba, like they don't do it  ::)!

I wear shorts and I wear skirts and tanks, However; I don't wear them to church.  I just can't leave home, if i am not appropiatly dresses for church.

One time, my skirt was to my knees when i am standing up, but then i had to go and tell abona something in the hekal, and and it wasn't to my knees when i sat down, and abona told me it is haram, If i am a "GROWN UP" doing this, then what they kids are going to do?, and he said since I am a sunday school teacher, I should dress more appropiatly.  :( and every since, All of my skirts I wore are way blow knee level.

pray for me,
    bentBABAyasoo`
  • [quote author=kerestina link=topic=5649.msg75420#msg75420 date=1186838827]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5649.msg75372#msg75372 date=1186738447]

hahahahahaha wow arent u so considerate hahahahahahha

firstly i dont belive in the term common sense..........wat is common is not always acceptable to others or common........i would however say that there is unspoken norms of behaviour and dress code in the church setting and even in society in general.....

Kids, don't forget, the sales of Superman movie tickets went down by 80% when people noticed he was wearing his underpants outside his trousers!

ITS NOT COOL!!
  • Dear QT,

One of the things revealing clothes can reveal is how little the wearer is thinking about Christ.

In Christ,

Anglian

• Look its all quite simple, depending on where you are going and what you are doing think to your self is what I am wearing disrespectful to me? Is there anything else I can wear that is more appropriate? Will it cause others to lust over me?

If you think that it may cause others to lust over you, don't wear it!
    If you think others may be judging you, it’s probably because you have a guilty conscious about what you're wearing and deep down you think it may be inappropriate for the occasion. I'm sure you would get the same feeling of "judgement" if you went to a formal dinner party in shorts and thongs and vice versa, if you went to a casual party in a 3 piece suit!. It's a feeling of being left out of place that makes you believe that others may be "judging" you!.

In any case, I don't think its right for people to judge others based on what they are wearing or for what they do. (Mathew 7:1 Judge not, that you be not judged.) But don't forget, believing that others are judging you based on what you are wearing is also judgemental!

Just use your discretion to determine if what you are wearing is appropriate or not!
  • You got to ask you self why are you wearing these type of cloth in the first place?

Are you wearing the shorts to attract boys or because of thesummer's heat which I highly doubt because most churches are air conditioned!!!! 

Besides, in the church you dress as if you were going to meet God, the Lord of Hosts that not even the Archangels can look at His brightness. Therefore I do not think that wearing shorts or a short skirt is appropriate to meet the King of kings
  • The same i bleive also stands for guys

I mean I dont understand the point of a Guy comming in w/ a pink abercrombie shirt and flip flops with gelled hair to church

I mean i dress like that out of church......its not bad......but its not appropriate for Church

I also call me close minded find it offensive when abouna gives the Holy Body and Blood to a girl or a guy who is there not showing enough respect.......i mean im not judging no one but there are definite borders
  • I mean I dont understand the point of a Guy comming in w/ a pink abercrombie shirt and flip flops with gelled hair to church

^hahahah..nice...

Besides, in the church you dress as if you were going to meet God, the Lord of Hosts that not even the Archangels can look at His brightness. Therefore I do not think that wearing shorts or a short skirt is appropriate to meet the King of kings

i don't know anyone who would wear shorts or a mini to church..i was thinking like more casual occasions when i posted this..

i really don't parade around in shorts or anything ...the reason i wrote this was becasue it was really bugging me how everytime my family(or ANY copt)  and i went out in public(not around other copts), there would obviously be that someone wearing somewhat short shorts...and whoever i was with always had some judgemental comment ...and i didn't see the big deal. so yea...as much as all the posts makes sense,  im just still not fully convinced that it's wrongg...i'm begininng to think its only wrong now because people can't control their eyes and lusts, which really sholdnt be blamed on the person wearing the shorts or w/e.
  • Copticcross3,

I’m not going to inculcate you by reiterating the same comments that have been mentioned prior. All I have to say is that it’s your responsibility as well as obligation as a Christian to protect your brothers and sisters from falling into temptation and sinning.

Although it might seem that people are being judgmental; in reality you actually are the one giving them motives to comment about your clothing choices. The clothes you wear do in fact send a message about you and if you dress in a manner that is provocative then the innate reaction will be that someone eventually will lust over your body.  I assume it is not your intention when you wear shorts to have anyone lust over you, but the reality of the matter is that if you do reveal your body then inevitably someone will have inappropriate thoughts. 

I recognize that no one is infallible but my advice would be to judge yourself before you are judged and I am not referring to people. 

In His Name
  • Guys,
    You know I live in France; and the Paris is truly the capital of "fashion", well, here are some facts:

The French love to dress "sexy" and "chic" at the same time. However, EVERYTIME my French friends travel to the UK, America or anyother EU country, they come back with the same comments:

"the people there dress slutty".

There is a difference between "sexy" and "slutty".

I don't mean to offend anyone by this; but there is NOT ONE French person that has not told me that they thought the British dressed in a very promiscuous manner. I have to agree. When i go to the UK, i see that.

I went with my fiance to the UK and she was really shocked by what she saw there. In fact, we ended up taking pictures of the way people dressed. In France, people tend to criticise what you wear, and give u looks if you wear something that does not match, or looks out of place.

The good thing about England, on the other hand, is that no one cares what/how they look, and the culture is not one that demands that you wear clothes in a sexy way, as opposed to a "slutty" way.