Sex Change

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello,

What is the view of the Coptic Orthodox Church on people that undergo sex changes?

Is this a sin?

We disagree with homosexuality, but what is our position if a woman has a sex change to become a man and then marries a woman?

They are married: man and woman.

Now, when I wrote the word "man" , i wasnt sure, but sexually, its a man? right?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6249566.stm

Is any of this a sin or banned in the Orthodox Church!??

Could abouna marry a woman who has had a sex change (to become a man) to another woman??

Thanks

Comments

• This is something that is completely prohibited by the Orthodox Church.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5506.msg73489#msg73489 date=1183047500]
    What if the woman who had a sex change to be a man doesnt admit that she had a sex change to the priest?

If you mean "what if a priest finds out he accidentally married a man?", then since Christian marriage is between a man and a woman, the marriage would be considered invalid.

But since you can't get married after being ordained, the priest would be forced to remain celibate. So basically if you're planning to become a priest, don't marry a woman with broad shoulders and a deep voice.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5506.msg73486#msg73486 date=1183045473]
    Hello,

What is the view of the Coptic Orthodox Church on people that undergo sex changes?

Is this a sin?

We disagree with homosexuality, but what is our position if a woman has a sex change to become a man and then marries a woman?

They are married: man and woman.

Now, when I wrote the word "man" , i wasnt sure, but sexually, its a man? right?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6249566.stm

Is any of this a sin or banned in the Orthodox Church!??

Could abouna marry a woman who has had a sex change (to become a man) to another woman??

This is the same as homosexuality.....God made them Male and Female. and He made each person of us as He chose. who are you/we to change His will to be the sex we want.
  • What a strange world we live in, nobody is happy with who they are. Everybody wants to be somebody else ??? :o
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Hey Matt, can I be you?  :D
  • Dear Vassilios,

Yes, I suspect this isn't the most edifying of your topics! ;)

But the answer is pretty clear. Surgeons can mess about cutting people up and claim they have turned a man into a 'woman', but all they have done is to practice surgery on him. Legally, in most countries, he would still be recognised as a man. Those countries which allow 'same-gender' partnerships can recognise whatever they want, but for the Church, since the man remains a man, he cannot marry another man.

The ancients did not allow eunuchs to marry, and effectively, that is what modern surgery does.

I hope that will help.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • i have no prob wif ppl getting a sex change ...i figure if ur gonna act like a gurl you might as well become one.... :-\

lol wat a sad thread
  • Wow i wonder if anyone ever got a sex change and confessed it to a priest. Thats going on the list of the weirdest sins to confess.

I could see the convo:

Priest: Tell me what sin is bothering you my son

Confesee: Well abouna i did something pretty abnormal

Priest: its ok you heard me a million times tell you that there is no sin you cannot confess

Confesee: ok well here it goes....I got a sex change

Priest: haha thats funny but you should be serious at confession

Confesee: (blank stares at abouna)

Priest: Oh........well uh......... jesus said.........uh.......why did u do that my son? ................sorry......daughter

• QP_TA_2T

Brain transplants aren't real. They've tried a couple of them and the most succesful one was in France and the patient ended up waking up from surgery and stayed alive for 3 minutes then died. So, It's pretty much not possible. Most of the ones done around the world, have a result of the patient not waking up.
  • Dear QT,

I'm all in favour of hypothetical questions - but come on now ...! As Kyrillos pointed out you can't do brain transplants (though there are those individuals where a brain implant might help!)

You can change the arrangement of your physical appearance, but whether that amounts to a change of gender is a moot point - not least in law.

In Christ,

John
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5506.msg73673#msg73673 date=1183388163]
    What if a woman had a brain transplant and had the brain of a man, PLUS a sex change!?

Would that be a sin?

what's wrong is that PLUS. also i don't think they are that advanced yet with brain related things. and even if it's possible...what would be the point of it.

Brain transplants eh?  Sounds like you may have been watching the X-files one to many times my friend.
  • Even if all of that was possible, you cannot have a soul transplant. God still knows who you are and how he made you; nothing can change that.
  • Ey Kefas, since u wanted to be me, and I want to be you, what about a brain trade...we switch brains ;D. Maybe we can have a piece of Vassilios' brains as well bel marra ;)
  • [quote author=Hos Erof link=topic=5506.msg73721#msg73721 date=1183480345]
    Ey Kefas, since u wanted to be me, and I want to be you, what about a brain trade...we switch brains ;D. Maybe we can have a piece of Vassilios' brains as well bel marra ;)

Sure, have  a piece of my brain, you'll start saying jokes, and get yourself excommunicated from tasbeha.org... but why not,the more the merrier!!
  • i think sex change is a sin, because didnt God make us with his own image? so why would we want to change it?

My dear dear DEAR Matt,

Rest assured, you do NOT, under any circumstances, want to be me.  I wouldn't wish such a thing on my worst enemy, let alone a good friend.

Ya habibi,

You are too kind.  Trust me though, I want to spare Matt the horror.  It's for everyone's own good, really.  :D
  • Not to be too serious or anything,

But a person's gender isn't something to be joking about, as many have had sex changes and still think that they are doing the right thing. Here is the deal, even if homosexuality was allowed (ITS NOT) why change something that God has made? God has either made you a man or a woman. Why would you want to go against His will, and change your sex. Sure he has given us the freedom of choice, but who are we to go and change man's nature? God has made us after His image, who are we to tamper with this image and say it is imperfect?

Be content with the gender God gave you, I can assure you that there is no sane reason to be homosexual, or even bi; as "God made them man and woman", and since there is no other reason to get a sex change, it is then not edifying, and as someone has stated earlier, is then a sin.

Forgive me and feel free to correct me if I am wrong,

Bishoy
  • ohh wow...i can't believe i read all those posts, very interestingg...haha.

im a little confused though
    ..so abouna WOULD give absolution for such a sinn? & don't mean to be like nosyy or anything..but..
    ...who's  matt? ...and who's vasillios?? :/ gahh. haha
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5506.msg75402#msg75402 date=1186775262]
    and who's vasillios?? :/ gahh. haha

I'm Vasillios!!! 8)
  • Umm no way. I don't think Abouna would give absolution for this sin UNTIL the sex change was well, changed back, and whoever the person who got the sex change would go straight again

[quote author=Hos Erof link=topic=5506.msg75411#msg75411 date=1186788763]
    [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5506.msg75402#msg75402 date=1186775262]

I'm Vasillios!!! 8)

This reminds me of that scene from 'Spartacus' (the one with Kirk Douglas), where the Roman guard ask the large group of slaves which one of them is Spartacus, and then one by one, each of them stands up and says they are him.  :D
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5506.msg75425#msg75425 date=1186853617]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=Hos Erof link=topic=5506.msg75411#msg75411 date=1186788763]
    [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5506.msg75402#msg75402 date=1186775262]

I'm Vasillios!!! 8)

This reminds me of that scene from 'Spartacus' (the one with Kirk Douglas), where the Roman guard ask the large group of slaves which one of them is Spartacus, and then one by one, each of them stands up and says they are him.  :D

lol, i would love to be the roman guard  where i'l kill ALL..... ;D
  • [quote author=bishoykhali link=topic=5506.msg75396#msg75396 date=1186771811]
    Not to be too serious or anything,

But a person's gender isn't something to be joking about, as many have had sex changes and still think that they are doing the right thing. Here is the deal, even if homosexuality was allowed (ITS NOT) why change something that God has made? God has either made you a man or a woman. Why would you want to go against His will, and change your sex. Sure he has given us the freedom of choice, but who are we to go and change man's nature? God has made us after His image, who are we to tamper with this image and say it is imperfect?

Be content with the gender God gave you, I can assure you that there is no sane reason to be homosexual, or even bi; as "God made them man and woman", and since there is no other reason to get a sex change, it is then not edifying, and as someone has stated earlier, is then a sin.

Forgive me and feel free to correct me if I am wrong,
    Bishoy

yeah i agree with u bishoy...there's too many clowns on dis thread :P lol jkz

i heard of a 12yr old boy who changed now that is freakin SCARII..the kid hasnt even hit his teens and he thinks he thinks his a gurl.......ppl assume that if a lil boy acts like a gurl or dresses like one for fun that they have sexuality issues but realli dey r jus kids......

you r who r u....the prob is that ppl arent content with that  :-\

Hey ker bear,

you r who r u....the prob is that ppl arent content with that

Listen, I have this confession to make.  I'm not content with being me.  I really truly want to be you.  You just, like, totally, ROCK!  :D
  • id just like to re-iterate a important point i made previously; "there are too many clowns on this thread, not taking this issue serious enough" :P lol.......

[quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5506.msg75470#msg75470 date=1187022418]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]
    Listen, I have this confession to make.  I'm not content with being me.  I really truly want to be you.  You just, like, totally, ROCK!  :D

and koko; the question is who WUDNT wanna be like me?????....the list is never ending......
  • wow u guys are so weird in ur topics . but .... someone is getting a big head!!!! ;D ;D
  • [quote author=coptic youth link=topic=5506.msg75485#msg75485 date=1187089125]
    wow u guys are so weird in ur topics . but .... someone is getting a big head!!!! ;D ;D

:o im soo cuttt bro...how cud u imply such a thing?????? hahhha nah its all good...im jus kiddin but i dont think koko wud eva be lucky enouff to be me :P lol

I've said it before and I'll say it again: 'big' in the description of ker bear's head is the ultimate in understatements.  :D