Matania's

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Well we all know waht a matania is
adn why tis done

but what is exaclty said when you do one?

I mean I hear abouna sometimes saying something along the lines of "Iklelomenos"

Does any one kno what that means or if he says something differnet?

Comments

• [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5630.msg75161#msg75161 date=1186421304]
    Well we all know waht a matania is
    adn why tis done

but what is exaclty said when you do one?

I mean I hear abouna sometimes saying something along the lines of "Iklelomenos"

Does any one kno what that means or if he says something differnet?

Mmatanias (or Metanias) are mostly done when you are saying Kerie leisons. like in good friday.

the other time that Metanias are done publiclly is on matins of weekdays of lent where you say:

[coptic]`Klinomen ta gonata

Nai nan `V] `Viwt pipantokratwr

Anactwmen `klinomen ta gonata

Nai nan `V] pencwtyr

Ke anactwmen `klinomen ta gonata

Nai nan `V] ouoh nai nan[/coptic]

Means:
    Priest: We bend our knees.
    People: Have mercy upon us O God, the Father, the Almighty.

Priest: We stand and bend our knees.
    People:Have mercy upon us O God, our Savior.

Priest: Again, we stand and bend our knees.
    People:Have mercy upon us O God, and have mercy upon us.

Also you do metanias when you say 'i have sinned', when a priest start a prayer.
  • How about at home. I have been using it so far in the Kyrie Eleisons after the Gospel responses (and before Holy, Holy, Holy is the the Lord of Hosts...). I do it only in the morning, seeming that we should be fasting before we do it. Is that right? Are there other occasions?
    Thanks minagir!
  • [quote author=Doubting Thomas link=topic=5630.msg75198#msg75198 date=1186462216]
    How about at home. I have been using it so far in the Kyrie Eleisons after the Gospel responses (and before Holy, Holy, Holy is the the Lord of Hosts...). I do it only in the morning, seeming that we should be fasting before we do it. Is that right? Are there other occasions?
    Thanks minagir!

well i think your metanias are ur own prayers. when you do a metania, your praying to God to except your soul and repentance due to a sin (mostly why metania's are). so it's really ur choise. also i know monks mostly do metania while reading some psalms. not sure of that thoo..
  • My priest told me there are three types of metanias:

1. respect for the saints
    2. repentance metanias (either when you have wronged another person, or when praying to the Lord)
    3. worship for the Lord

What you say when you do a metania depends on why you are doing the metania, and it is usually something personal.

Thankyou,

Bishoy
  • [quote author=bishoykhali link=topic=5630.msg75226#msg75226 date=1186505385]
    My priest told me there are three types of metanias:

1. respect for the saints
    2. repentance metanias (either when you have wronged another person, or when praying to the Lord)
    3. worship for the Lord

What you say when you do a metania depends on why you are doing the metania, and it is usually something personal.

2 and 3 r mostly Kerie Leisons since if u r repenting, there is nothing better than to ask for mercy.
    or if ur doing a metania to another person telling them 'I've sinned'

1 thoo i think is only respect....not specificly for saint. that kind of respect is towards bishops. which there is nothing to say.
  • You are definitely right. I forgot to mention that the respect metanias could be done to saints, as well as bishops and popes.

Now that I think about it though, should we really do metanias to bishops and popes, seeing as how our metanias might put them through temptation of pride?

Thank you,

Bishoy
  • well i heard a man talking once
    about how it is ok to do that ......but y do it
    his exact words were

"do i do matania's at home for the worship of my Lord, so that i may go ahead and do one infront of a bishop"

which was a good point i liked
  • Gregory,

I know I am kind of late to answer, but can you please expain that quote to me? I don't understand it very well.

Thank you,

Bishoy
  • lol basically
    its not mandatory to do a matania for a Bishop or the Pope and its not disrespectufl either if u opt not to do it...actually from what i understand it is something that is nott as common

some people evne look down on it because in egypt, many people unfortuantely do it for the wrong reasons, instead of showing real respect they do it so they can earn a way in

thats why the man said his quote "that he the sinner doenst take time at home to do a matania in worship of the Lord, better yet he do one infront of a Bishop"  He said it in arabic so it doesnt sound quite right being translated
  • O I see,

Thanky you for clarifying that to me  :)

Bishoy
  • heeey ok great topic!
    the person that said that quote about not doing a matania in front of a bishop becuse he doesnt do it infront of God .. welll i think he is correct... thats y he should be doing it infront of God first hahah
    about wat to say whne doing matanias... i was told by a monk that u should say
    My Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me i am a sinner
    My Lord Jesus Christ guide me i am a sinner
    My Lord Jesus Christ forgive me i am a sinner

each line would be followed by a matania

also Abouna told me that when doing kyrie elisons u should do the matanias then

both r fine and are really spiritually lifting if u do them from ur heart acknowledging that u are a sinner bfore God
    hope i helped... p4m
    Enough