The Harshness of the Old Testement

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
how come in the Old Testement, people were stoned and killed for sining, and when Jesus came all that changed?

in the old testement when Moses approached the camp, and saw the Golden calfand the Dancing, he rebuked Aaron and ordered that the people be struck down, and they killed 3000 ppl.

and Phiehas the grandson of Aaron, when the ppl began to commit adultery with the daughtrs of Moab, and all men had commited the act of fornication, he was so inflamed that he went into the tabernacle after the man and women and killed them. (numbers ch 25)

what i dont understand is why back then it was kool to kill a sinner, but now its completly wrong even to jugde some1...the idea of stoning a sinner now is out of the question, as jsus said "he who has no sin, may he cast the first stone."
why when Jesus came did this change...

could it be that because God practically spoke to them and they saw miricles, they sorta have no excue to go against him, why did God change from the, mighty and powerful, "Jealous" God to the all kind, merciful redeemer?

Comments

• *There was a similar topic posted earlier...OLD TESTAMENT VS. NEW TESTAMENT

-"For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone who dies," declares the Lord God. "Therefore, repent and live," (Ezekiel 18:32).

-"Say to them, ‘As I live!’ declares the Lord God, ‘I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked . . . (Ezekiel 33:11)

-"This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth" (1 Tim. 2:3-4).

-“For You, Lord are good, and ready to forgive, and abundant in mercy to all those who call upon You” Psalm 86:5

-“With everlasting kindness I will have mercy on you, says the Lord, your redeemer” Isaiah 54:8

-The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. (Ex 34:6-7)

-I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good to them, and I will inspire them to fear me, so that they will never turn away from me. I will rejoice in doing them good and will assuredly plant them in this land with all my heart and soul. (Jer 32:40-41)

-Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea. (Micah 7:18-19)

God, our God, was always kind and merciful. God is the lover of mankind. But in the old testament, even if people were killed because of their iniquities yet, God pardoned many for their sins, remember when David sinned, God still loved Him and said he was a man after His own heart, because he repented. Remember the city of Ninevah, because of their humility and repentance, God did not destroy them, but because of His lcving heart, He forgave them. Although many were killed, God wishes that none of us die, but He wishes that we live a righteous life and follow in His footsteps. We choose death for ourselves, the wages of sin are death, and even if now, we are not "physically" killed, and God does not strike us with His wrath..as He did in the old testament, yet sin really does kill us, and separates us from Christ. "For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it KILLED ME." Romans 7:11. thank God that He is more loving and merciful and made a new covenant with His children, and does not kill us and destroy us but gives us many, many chances to repent, from sin that kills us, so take that chance and repent now, dont wait till its too late!
  • ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
    thnx u rock!!
    :)
  • I always ask myself the same question, and i actually was discussing that with my friend during lunch time. i mean its like in the old testement god was that angry god and in the new testement god is a loving god. she will bring some information about it, so i will inform u guys :)

pretty good question. ;)
  • Hi every1:

There is one more difference between the Old testament (OT) and the New testament (NT) which I would like to share with you.

The last verse of the OT (Malachi 4:6) talks about a curse for the whole earth while the last verse of the NT (Rev. 22:21) talks about the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ for all His believers. This means that the OT could not give us the grace while the NT gives the grace by believing in Jesus Christ.

Thank you and pray for me.

KF
  • It's kind of late, but an example I heard of was parents with children:

When children are young, parents have to be strict so that the children learn, it may seem like the parents are always angry, but it's really because they love their children and want the best for them. As the children grow up and have more knowledge, it seems that the parents aren't as angry as they were when the children were little, when they didn't have much knowledge. This is the same with God, he has always loved us from the beginning of time and will always love us but in the Old Testament, it seemed that he was angry because we were like "young children" in spirituality but in the New Testament, we became "older children" in spirituality.

Sorry if somebody has already said this, and please correct me if I am wrong. I hope this helped.

LordHaveMercy