social life of egyptians

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
i personally feel that egyptians are enclosed in a cocoon....they go to coptic schools and then when move to uni and congregate into the arab communities.....this is perfectly fine and its always easier associating with someone who has similar values...but if u put one of these egyptians into a different setting for example with pacific islanders....they isolate themselves....i think since we r a multicultural society that we shud be more open to diverse settings not just church et al but youth spaces like a youth centre...and i dont mean clubs etc....young people need to develop social skills that are adaptable in any setting such as the work place

one more thing is that egyptians (which is quite a concern i think) is that they refuse to seek help from service providers....eventhough we have awesome priests, counselling or welfare services are never sought...i know i often refuse to discuss my personal issues with egytz and wud rather speak with non arabs becoz all they are concerned about is the details...who? when? where?why?...regardless of how painful the expereince may have been...they dig into u...so ppl begin to close up....

anyways just a few thoughts of mine

Comments

• GBU kerestina

I think that what you'll read in my reply is deeply rooted in our culture and it changes gradually in newer generations abroad. We also feel globalization impacting us right here.

To start we are basically kind peaceful people (but we can fight back). We are usually emotionally sensitive, bit shy in showing it, with a little touch of moodiness. This results in needing more time to get acquainted or seriously mingling with "strangers". We usually try to be (too?) careful no to embark into difficult situations without having enough info.

In bad situations we first look for the help of the Comforter, who is our Lord in Whom we certainly trust, that is just before seeking other people preferably friends or relatives.

We bury a lot of stress in much talking, yes that happens also. But we (I generally mean all good Egyptians) are strongly inclined to being warm and truly kind, loving and protecting, and practically useful when the situation allows hence sometimes needing that much of real concrete details.

Although not all are highly educated or culturally fit - which results in some stiff minds, I still think we are intelligent plus having a good inheritance of rich history of many civilizations. We try to remain conservative, in the good sense of the word. And not to be unlike others, you will naturally find both good and bad people. In short, we are human beings.

GBU +++
  • kerestina, from my experience with egyptians, i have found them to be the MOST closed-minded people out there, and i know exactly what you're saying, i tend to communicate with non-egyptians wayy easier then with egyptians. about the seeking help, i'm disagreeing big time on that one :/
    i DEF think  the same thing on this : " since we r a multicultural society that we shud be more open to diverse settings not just church et al but youth spaces like a youth centre...and i dont mean clubs etc....young people need to develop social skills that are adaptable in any setting such as the work place"

, but how...?
  • OoOoOoOoOoOoOoO ppl lol
    you prob all thought i was jabbing egyptians......
    i wasnt, i was just having a thinking spurt.....
    i forgot all about this thread actually lol

anyways.....why i thought this at the time i posted it??
    becoz i brought together to cultures for one my programs that i ran and i was amazed at how reserved egyptians were in comparison to the islander group...

anyways.....imma ask moderators to delete thread

FA!!!
  • You are right kerestina: we are more reserved than many other communities.
    I am trustful you will find good ways to melt the ice easily and quickly the next time (let the group be decently, gradually involved from minute 1) and without the need to oppose this resistance.

Please don't delete your thread it's OK!

GBU
  • Actually i find it the complete opposite of what you all say. now i did  not read all the posts so if i said something that was already said sorry. in egypt they have much more social lives than people in western countries. they are always out and about and usually aren't home until like 2 or 3 in the morning. now this is in egypt mind you. Egyptians that have migrated i find have no social lives whatsoever as you have said.
  • im not saying egyptians have no social life indeed we doo.....
    all im saying is that they struggle to mingle with other cultures n this is becoz they are not exposed to other nat's......n wen i say this, i am thinking of coptic skools....so young people are onli associating with ppl of the same culture which is good
    but there needs to be abit of diveristy
  • oh well in that case you are 1000% correct. like i said in my first post i didn't read all of the others sorry about that. we don't get as much diversity with other cultures because they are close minded and believe the way they do things is the only way it can be done