Why no missionaries??

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Why does the Coptic and EO churches seem to not be sending out missionaries like the RC and Protestants??

Taylor

p.s.  I know there are some, but the Coptic and EO just seem a little more quiet that the others, but maybe that is because I live in the USA (where there aren't a lot of EO and Coptics).

taylor

Comments

• what's the rc?

uhh, i don't really have an exact reason, but i think it's because the coptic church doens't exactly have the money for missionaries, and missions and ect. the protestant and mormon (also has many missionaries) churches are two of the (if not the) richest churches out there..so...yea...
    :/
  • [quote author=desertnurse link=topic=5556.msg74255#msg74255 date=1184395416]
    Why does the Coptic and EO churches seem to not be sending out missionaries like the RC and Protestants??

Taylor

p.s.  I know there are some, but the Coptic and EO just seem a little more quiet that the others, but maybe that is because I live in the USA (where there aren't a lot of EO and Coptics).

taylor

Actually, Orthodoxy is one of the fastest growing religions in America. If you look on the internet, you fill find that there are mission orientated radio programmes, video broadcasts, books, leaflets, etc.

What you wont see (or atleast shouldn't see) is the in-your-face preaching done by a lot of other denominations. Orthodox mission is witnessing to others by visibly living the faith, not so much by preaching it. This is because Orthodoxy is not an intellectual concept, but a way of life; a relationship with the Living God.

Orthodoxy is also rapidly growing in many parts of Africa, with a large missionary effort. The Coptic mission so far seems to be mainly involved in medical treatment, whereas the EO mission has focused more on education, the latter having gained near to 2million converts, mainly in East Africa.
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5556.msg74280#msg74280 date=1184449229]
    what's the rc?

RC = Roman Catholic
  • i was actually at a youth convention last year, and the topic of the discussions for that yeaar was orthodoxy, with sermons liek what is orthodoxy, livign orthodoxy, etc and the last one was preaching orthodoxy.  Just as orthodox 11 said, all the bishops stressed that the best form of preaching is with your own good works as an orthodox youth.  And when people see these good works,deeds, practices, etc, they themselves would come to you or a church father asking about your religion.

-peter
  • oh ya and as orthodox 11 said we do have many missions aroudn the world, in the US, in Hawaii, in Fiji, in Africa, etc etc, just theyre not as....outspoken.... as the other missionaries of other denominations who force their ideas in someones face, lol.
  • OK, this may step on some toes.  Granted:  I have a VERY hard time with one church does it right or best, but I know that that is part of OO and EO and RC and heck just about everyone else.

So....................

Why doesn't the OO try to convert the EO and the RC?

Taylor

Or maybe instead of converting are these more so trying to find communion with each other and reconnect with each other? 

Taylor
  • [quote author=desertnurse link=topic=5556.msg74287#msg74287 date=1184471632]
    OK, this may step on some toes.  Granted:  I have a VERY hard time with one church does it right or best, but I know that that is part of OO and EO and RC and heck just about everyone else.

So....................

Why doesn't the OO try to convert the EO and the RC?

Taylor

Or maybe instead of converting are these more so trying to find communion with each other and reconnect with each other? 

Taylor

In case of OO/EO, there has been much dialogue in recent years, which has essentially concluded that there is no substantial difference in faith between the two churches - i.e. that both are wholly Orthodox. As such, there is no need for conversion.

In the case of RCs however, the Orthodox should be as concerned about bringing them to the Truth as anyone else. In America, a large proportion of those who have become Orthodox are actually ex-Catholics.