Deeds

Does a good deed cover up a bad deed in the eyes of god?

For example if i lied and then gave to the poor would that balance out?

Comments

• [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=5534.msg73934#msg73934 date=1183952008]

would u think of that if u have confession and repentance that cover alllllll sins. what what ever is good is for u in heaven since there is levels in heaven.
  • Dear Kyrillos,
    You ask:
    [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=5534.msg73934#msg73934 date=1183952008]

to which the answer has to be 'no'. God does not run an accounting system in which one thing balances another. We are all sinners, and of our own volition we can, none of us, be saved. For that we need His free Grace given through the redeeming blood of Our Lord. We need to repent of our sins, not think we can bargain with God over them. Then, when we repent, we need to show through the way we live (including good works) that we are His; we need the Church and its sacraments and its help. And even then, when we stand trembling before the Just Judge, we know that we are sinners, and that only through Him can we be saved.

How wonderful then to know that He loves us so much that he sent His Only-Begotten Son to die that we should have life eternal! That is, to use a much abused word, really [b]awesome![b]

In Christ,

Anglian
  • if I may be so bold: Remember that through confession and forgiveness God had the right and the power and the way of blotting out our transgressions.  If it were a balance system, I don't think any of us would be getting far.

Taylor
  • Dear Taylor,

Good point. We can repent, we can amend our lives, and we can try to bear witness to Him whose disciples we strive to be - and through the Church, and His redeeming blood we can come to Him - as He wills it.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Just some food for thought:

Above all, maintain constant love for one another, for love covers a multitude of sins.
            1 Peter 4:8

It certainly isn't one good deed erasing one bad deed.  Our God is truly a wonderful God.
  • Does a good deed cover up a bad deed in the eyes of god?

actually no becuz u have to confess itz stil there.  with st.  moses the strong, if he didnt repent would he hav been a monk. 

it si not lke  a checks and balance type of thing. 
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5534.msg74276#msg74276 date=1184443264]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Just some food for thought:

Above all, maintain constant love for one another, for love covers a multitude of sins.
            1 Peter 4:8

It certainly isn't one good deed erasing one bad deed.  Our God is truly a wonderful God.

wow, thats a really nice verse... thanks for sharing..Love for one another means alot!