The Eastern Orthodox Church of America Scandal

edited December 1969 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries
http://www.ocanews.org/

As an Australian this comes news to me. Can something akin to this be happening in our Churches? Should we ensure more transparency with Church finances? Does this as the site purports: threatens the financial and moral integrity of the (E)OCA?

Comments

• Dear Thomas,

This has been rumbling on in the USA for a very long time now, and I fear the EO does not come out of it well; the instinct to 'cover up' and 'deny' is very human - but since the Church is supposed to be a hospital for sinners, one might have hoped for better.

Our Church is much better organised, and I should be very surprised if there were anything of this sort going on; the Copts spend their money on worshipping God - as the new Cathedral at Stevenage in the UK shows so magnificently.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • [quote author=Anglian link=topic=5540.msg74165#msg74165 date=1184252823]
    This has been rumbling on in the USA for a very long time now, and I fear the EO does not come out of it well; the instinct to 'cover up' and 'deny' is very human - but since the Church is supposed to be a hospital for sinners, one might have hoped for better.

Our Church is much better organised, and I should be very surprised if there were anything of this sort going on; the Copts spend their money on worshipping God - as the new Cathedral at Stevenage in the UK shows so magnificently.

With respect, while these events certainly call into question the moral integrity of certain OCA clergy, I don't think the inappropriate actions of a hierarchy representing less than 1% of EOs worldwide can be seen reflection on the EOC as a whole, much less as a basis to compare Her unfavourably with other churches.
  • Dear Orthodox11,

You are quite correct, and I apologise for the offence caused. I have, perhaps, relied overmuch on American friends who feel very strongly about this.

In Christ,

Anglian