LYING DURING CONFESSION

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Following on from the story of Annanias and Saphira, it was pointed out that they died because they LIED to God, not to a particular person.

Hence, the following topic concentrates on the effects of lying during confession. What if we confess things and are NOT totally open/honest about it?? What happens!?? Do we drop down dead also like Ananias and Saphira?

Comments

• no. St John Chyrostom says that because they were the first ones to do this sin, they were killed instantly as a warning to the other believer's on how grave the sin is. so those after do not suffer the same fate. but they died. there is worse consequences that can happen during your life.
    And I confess, I lied once in confession. I changed confession fathers, and was not really comfortable with this one. I was asked if I did a certain sin, and I flat out said no, when in actuality I did...I was not ready to confess the sin at the time- i.e. i wasn't that repentant....I suffered a lot, because I really became a slave to that sin after and I really felt hopeless and it effected everything- my relationships with family and friends, my studys, my health...
    I hope that helps.
  • [quote author=Doubting Thomas link=topic=5464.msg72691#msg72691 date=1182170808]
    no. St John Chyrostom says that because they were the first ones to do this sin, they were killed instantly as a warning to the other believer's on how grave the sin is. so those after do not suffer the same fate. but they died. there is worse consequences that can happen during your life.
    And I confess, I lied once in confession. I changed confession fathers, and was not really comfortable with this one. I was asked if I did a certain sin, and I flat out said no, when in actuality I did...I was not ready to confess the sin at the time- i.e. i wasn't that repentant....I suffered a lot, because I really became a slave to that sin after and I really felt hopeless and it effected everything- my relationships with family and friends, my studys, my health...
    I hope that helps.

I truely believe in confessing everything. Enjoying the experience of confession; saying all your sins, getting it out in the open... break free from all your fears and just spit everything out... its VERY liberating. Its just i wasnt sure if something was a sin or not....
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5464.msg72685#msg72685 date=1182165548]
    Hence, the following topic concentrates on the effects of lying during confession. What if we confess things and are NOT totally open/honest about it?? What happens!?? Do we drop down dead also like Ananias and Saphira?

this would be lying to yourself not God only. think about how you're there to confess ur sins to be purified...than you lie again...so what ever u just did is meaningless. it would of been better not going to confess at all.

[quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5464.msg72693#msg72693 date=1182171017]
    I truely believe in confessing everything. Enjoying the experience of confession; saying all your sins, getting it out in the open... break free from all your fears and just spit everything out... its VERY liberating. Its just i wasnt sure if something was a sin or not....

well that's for the priest to say. am sure you're father of confession wont mind.
  • Dear Mina,

excellent points, thank you, yet again; I learn much from your contributions here.

The point of lying to God escapes me, as no doubt it does others here; He knows it already! If in doubt, confess it, your foc will know what to do.

In Christ,

John
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5464.msg72685#msg72685 date=1182165548]
    Following on from the story of Annanias and Saphira, it was pointed out that they died because they LIED to God, not to a particular person.

nooooo
    just all of the sins you "confessed" is not accepted by God.