being corrupted

edited June 2007 in Personal Issues
well, i hate to blame those around me...but i have to.
so i'm stuck in summer school, and all around me is cussing.
even my friends, i have asked them to stop or not cuss around me,
they tried, and were able to keep it up for about 1 minnute, and that was it. I can't really do anything about it, i can't hang out w/ other ppl, everyone else in summer school, is older than me, and they all cuss even more than my friends...and i'm beginning to get used to it, and i 've started cussing too, i am becoming corrupted! ...it's not good at all :(
idk what to do...i don't wanna become one of them

Comments

• Hmmm growing up I had that problem too when I was younger. But I was able to cut it out completely for the rest of High School, with some exceptions which I regret.

I sympathise with you, but let's not think however that cussing is the major sin here..i mean there was no commandment against cussing as such, but more so that the words you speak are that of your heart, and to keep your words pure. We know that cursing is prohibited, and we know that sweating oaths are not ideal.

Ephesians 4:29-30

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption."

The Holy Spirit directs us to be honest with ourselves about just what is filthy and corrupt communications from our mouth. t really all comes down to Godly control of our language or conversation so that it glorifies Christ.

James 3:5-6

"Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasts great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindles!And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell."

Anyway, to get out of the habit, substitute words. I used "sugar", for you know what, etc. But the huge problem is your heart, because you obviously trying to communicate something vulgar. So I think it is best that you limit time with them (not saying that their sin is worse than mine or yours etc.), and try to rethink things that make you cuss.

For instance, when I was annoyed with a teacher, I remember think female-dog etc. I then expressed my frustration with mean. And then I thought that she is just a little demanding. Then I remember how I can be mean, so I knew I can not judge the teacher for I will be judged by my inhospitality etc. Try to restructure how you think about situations, and so your response will coincide with the milder things.

If you feel pressured to cuss, because otherwise you think your going to sound like a child (though most children cuss now-a-days, and it sounds so childish to me), then don't say anything at all. Just say "yeah", or you know- shift the focus or attention from yourself.

It is ideal, and I really urge you to try to avoid people that are not sensitive. But remember it goes both ways. Do you lie to them? Do you say unclean jokes? Do you judge others? These are just as bad, and they require your attention to. Even if they are accustomed or they say lies, tasteless jokes, judge etc., coming from you, a Christian, you put Christ into disrepute. And by that I mean we all do. Today, I have sinned many times and have done just that.

But, in the Orthodox concept, salvation is by a process, what is known by theologians as "theosis"- becoming as God. So, we always by the gift of the Holy Spirit conform more like Christ. This is another thing to remember my friend, that we should invoke God to strengthen us. David threw the slay, but he still said "For the battle is the Lord's" (1 Sam. 17:47). So, let God work in you through faith, and you do what you know how, and let God bless you with purity.

Thank you for your honesty. And God bless with your summer school.

• [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5505.msg73467#msg73467 date=1183011208]
    they tried, and were able to keep it up for about 1 minnute, and that was it. I can't really do anything about it, i can't hang out w/ other ppl, everyone else in summer school, is older than me, and they all cuss even more than my friends...and i'm beginning to get used to it, and i 've started cussing too, i am becoming corrupted! ...it's not good at all :(

You are the salt of the earth. If the salt loses its taste, from where shall it be seasoned?

Does the earth give flavour to the salt, or the salt give flavour to the earth??

It sounds soo spiritual when I say it, but its what my FoC told me when I complained about the same problem. HAHAH
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5505.msg73467#msg73467 date=1183011208]

you hate to blame but you feel you have to???
    ur tongue is in ur mouth dear not theirs....there are so many negative influences but we need to learn including me to attempt to control our tongues or refrain from such language.
    its most defently possible....when i was in high school all my frens cursed but i neva cursed in front of them NEVA...and ppl will admire u for that
    role modellling positive behaviour will change them...telling them not to swear wont stop them...its just like saying dont smoke its bad for ur health....
    BUt this just reminds me of James Chapter 3 which says "but no man can tame the tongue".....what was he implying??
  • Dear Kerestina,

But this just reminds me of James Chapter 3 which says "but no man can tame the tongue".....what was he implying??

What I have been taught, and pass on, is that this is another reference to our need for God's help. If we think that we can achieve things by own own will we have already lost the battle, because we are being 'ego-centric' instead of 'God-centric'. We should pray to Him for the strength to accomplish what we need; with His help all is possible.

You offer wise advice to copticcross3, and I hope it will be taken up. Profane language is of the Satan, and with it he marks his own; which of us would wish to be so marked and identified. Swearing is to treat others with a lack of respect, and therefore contravenes the command that we should love each other. It leads to a state of mind in which other sins become possible. Let us all remember that we are His children, and if we would not swear in front of our priest of our earthly parents, why should we treat our Heavenly Father with less respect.

I hope this is helpful.

In Christ,

Anglian