joshua harris

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
theres this REALLY good book by joshua harris called boy meets girl. u should read it no matter what age uu r, especially if ur like getting engaged or whatever. it can help u make out ur choices thro who u wanna marry and stuff
and its based around the bible so its pretty good..im reading it right now...and u dont HAVE to be engaged to read it.

Comments

• OHHHHHHHH I WANT TO READDDDDD ITTTTTTTTTT...

i read...kissed dating good bye and it was GREAT!!

i soooooo wanna read this one..anyone have links or anything about this book..maybe where i can order it..

and if any bookshop in sydney australia has this book..pls tell me..and ill be there this sunday!!
  • yeaa this one is realllly good too i cant put it down lol
    and ur church will probably have it becuase i got mine from my church bookstore
    and i havent read i kissed dating goodbye yet, but i RLYY want to it sounds good.
  • I've read both of them. Technically, Boy meets Girl is no good unless you are engaged. It's a nice read, but it's simply not practical if you, like me, are under around age 21 or 22.

However, I Kissed Dating Goodbye is wonderful. I highly recommend it to everybody, especially those who are very keen on dating
  • Is it because the Church along its 2000 yrs history never produced a book on purity or even taught on it that we have to refer to the heathen and the heretics to teach us on how to conduct ourselves ?

Joshua Harris and co. will never be able to provide a fundamental understanding of purity as related to deification and salvation, the essence of christian life, because he lacks it totally and has no access to it. You can get the same advice from a muslim or a hindu and it will be quite as good. Never was christianity a moral code or a set of rules.

• Joshua Harris isn't setting a moral code or a set of rules for us, all he's doing is telling us from his experiences why dating is bad and he uses examples and biblical references to help you better understand. Nowhere in the book is it stated that "you must obey this or else..." If it was heretical I highly doubt it would be sold in churches.

Sleepy
  • i heard about those books and they are great but i think it will be better if we have a sunday school servent that guides us through the book...
  • [quote author=sleepymusician link=board=13;threadid=4601;start=0#msg63234 date=1163473741]
    Joshua Harris isn't setting a moral code or a set of rules for us, all he's doing is telling us from his experiences why dating is bad and he uses examples and biblical references to help you better understand. Nowhere in the book is it stated that "you must obey this or else..." If it was heretical I highly doubt it would be sold in churches.

Sleepy

well explained..nd that is why i think he s reallly...good..and like for people dont want to read a book full of rules...JUST THOUGHTS AND EXPERIENCE!
  • all that i know is that his book {say hello to courtship} is really good

i think it is avbaible in the library
  • [quote author=sleepymusician link=topic=4601.msg63234#msg63234 date=1163473741]
    Joshua Harris isn't setting a moral code or a set of rules for us, all he's doing is telling us from his experiences why dating is bad and he uses examples and biblical references to help you better understand. Nowhere in the book is it stated that "you must obey this or else..." If it was heretical I highly doubt it would be sold in churches.

Sleepy

Whether his books are sold or not is not the standard for the bookstore keeper in the Church is not the ultimate authority on Orthodoxy. However, I did not say it is heretical or at least the 50+ pages I read are not a challenge to faith as much as they are empty and shallow.

Aba Hamad El-Ghazali has produced a great book on purity following the sufist approach to God yet it should not be a reference for purity and chastity.

Read Chryssostom and ascetic fathers for a better understanding of purity.
  • Oh please i would love to can someone tell me where i can get that please ..........i am from the fiji islands anywhere near to fiji would apperciate if i can get that please oh download for me too

Thank you
  • [quote author=Stavro link=topic=4601.msg77571#msg77571 date=1190921389]
    [quote author=sleepymusician link=topic=4601.msg63234#msg63234 date=1163473741]

Sleepy

Whether his books are sold or not is not the standard for the bookstore keeper in the Church is not the ultimate authority on Orthodoxy. However, I did not say it is heretical or at least the 50+ pages I read are not a challenge to faith as much as they are empty and shallow.

Aba Hamad El-Ghazali has produced a great book on purity following the sufist approach to God yet it should not be a reference for purity and chastity.

Read Chryssostom and ascetic fathers for a better understanding of purity.

Starvo, I understand what you are getting at- and it is problematic. Perhaps, however, we need Orthodox authors that can write to teens about these issues deriving the wisdom of the Church. Until then, I think you are being rather harsh. You cannot expect 12-20 year olds to read St. John Chrysostom.

Dating is seen to be a modern novelty, and thus we need modern-day Orthodox authors to write expansively on this subject with a target audience below 20. This has not yet occurred, and the issue is hot. What other choice do local parishes have but to propagate books that are written by heretics if they are in essence in agreement with our morals? Yes, it is a great shame and disadvantage that he cannot derive from our rich Orthodoxy, but on this subject I don't think it precludes it.
  • I think as your reading books like these discus it with you FOC because he will always help you keep on track.

We dont know how many lies are out there the devil trying to push us away from God, so be careful and may GOD Bless.

Pray for me a Sinner
    May the prayers of Pope Kyrollos be with us all Amen,
    Glory be to Our GOD Amen!