Preserving life

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Has anyone come across a verse in the Bible that says we need to preserve life on earth, that is, other than human life.. ?

like theres the famous "thou shalt not kill".. does that onlee refer to human life? I mean, obviously we eat plants [and some eat animals] but i mean for any other reason than that.. like shooting animals for sport.? quicklleee PLEASE!

Comments

• As far as i know there is no verse in the Bible(at least that i can recall) that has a verse that says do not kill this animal for sport or don't kill an animal period. we are supposed to have dominion over all the animals of the earth. but of course everything to an extreme is bad. like if you are a rabid animal killer and its not for food thats probably not good. well hope i helped. sorry for rambling on.
  • my question wasn't specifically about animals.. sorry if it seemed that way..

in short terms, is there anything in the bible that says we should take care of the earth [and all thats in it] therefore, life... ?
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5457.msg72666#msg72666 date=1182138514]
    Has anyone come across a verse in the Bible that says we need to preserve life on earth, that is, other than human life.. ?

like theres the famous "thou shalt not kill".. does that onlee refer to human life? I mean, obviously we eat plants [and some eat animals] but i mean for any other reason than that.. like shooting animals for sport.? quicklleee PLEASE!

Killing animals for sport is vanity. What kind of sport is that? why not make it a real challenge and give the poor raindeer an AK47 semi automatic rifle too, and see who wins!?

• [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5457.msg72774#msg72774 date=1182256572]
    in short terms, is there anything in the bible that says we should take care of the earth [and all thats in it] therefore, life... ?

This may be relevant to what you are talking about:

[quote=Genesis 1:26-31]
    26.  Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."
    27.  God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
    28.  God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
    29.  Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you;
    30.  and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food"; and it was so.
    31.  God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

Take note of verse 28 in particular where God gives man dominion and responsibility over all the earth.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=5457.msg72799#msg72799 date=1182270538]
    [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5457.msg72666#msg72666 date=1182138514]

Killing animals for sport is vanity. What kind of sport is that? why not make it a real challenge and give the poor raindeer an AK47 semi automatic rifle too, and see who wins!?

Ok... can you find a bible verse that agrees???
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5457.msg72800#msg72800 date=1182270878]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5457.msg72774#msg72774 date=1182256572]

This may be relevant to what you are talking about:

[quote=Genesis 1:26-31]
    26.    Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."
    27.  God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
    28.  God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
    29.  Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you;
    30.  and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food"; and it was so.
    31.  God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

Take note of verse 28 in particular where God gives man dominion and responsibility over all the earth.

to me it seems more dominion than responsibility... anything else?
  • ya Hizz Child, el mawdoo3 mesh me7tag ta32eed. whether or not fee ayah fel Engeel, nesta3mel el logic shewaya.  delwa2ti ana lama agy w'adba7 farkha 3ashan akolha, fa ana mosh bakhty(not sinning)  la2en Rabina Laho El Magd nafsoh kan beyeshwy samak w'yakloh ma3 talameezoh.  enama 2ol masalan eny gibt bondo2ya wala mosadas wala ay 2ala 7ada w'2atalt ay no3 min el 7ayawan 3ashan for the heck of it.  2oly entah, isn't that considered killing? w'mosh bas kidah, isn't that a sin?

Fibo
  • Thankyou

God Bless you!

• [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Responsibility and dominion, in my opinion, go hand in hand.  We have been given dominion over the earth, and as such, it is our responsibility to take care of it.  It wouldn't make sense that God would give us dominion over something only to destroy it. 
  • Dear Hizz_child,

The passages from Genesis quoted by Κηφᾶς give the classic location of the instructions that we should try not to kill anything God made.

But surely the whole message of the new covenant of Our Lord is that we should love one another and should care for each other; we do not do that by destroying the world and its other inhabitants. We should not confuse dominion with domination. We are the stewards of this world, and Our Lord had much to say in his parables about stewards - just and unjust. I wonder what sort of stewards He will think we have been of this world He made so beautiful?

In Christ,

Anglian
  • ya Hizz Child, el mawdoo3 mesh me7tag ta32eed. whether or not fee ayah fel Engeel, nesta3mel el logic shewaya.  delwa2ti ana lama agy w'adba7 farkha 3ashan akolha, fa ana mosh bakhty(not sinning)  la2en Rabina Laho El Magd nafsoh kan beyeshwy samak w'yakloh ma3 talameezoh.  enama 2ol masalan eny gibt bondo2ya wala mosadas wala ay 2ala 7ada w'2atalt ay no3 min el 7ayawan 3ashan for the heck of it.  2oly entah, isn't that considered killing? w'mosh bas kidah, isn't that a sin?

Fibo

this topic wasn't supposed to be about opinion or common sence.. i want Bible verses because i need it for an assesment.

Κηφᾶς and Anglian,
    I can deffinitly see that point you are making and am now satisfied with the Genesis quote, but I do still want to know of anything else that might relate.

+God Bless.
  • Psalm Eight is perfect for this. emphasis added on relevant verses

Psalm 8

1 O LORD, our Lord,
            How excellent is Your name in all the earth,
            Who have set Your glory above the heavens!

2 Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants
            You have ordained strength,
            Because of Your enemies,
            That You may silence the enemy and the avenger.

3 When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
            The moon and the stars, which You have ordained,
    4 What is man that You are mindful of him,
            And the son of man that You visit him?
    5 For You have made him a little lower than the angels,
            And You have crowned him with glory and honor.

6 You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands;
            You have put all things under his feet,
    7 All sheep and oxen—
            Even the beasts of the field,
    8 The birds of the air,
            And the fish of the sea
            That pass through the paths of the seas.

9 O LORD, our Lord,
            How excellent is Your name in all the earth!

From this we learn that God made us stewards of his creations on earth

In Luke 16 he gives us an example of how we should behave as good stewards, as John has explained.

Luke 16:1-2

1He also said to His disciples: “There was a certain rich man who had a steward, and an accusation was brought to him that this man was wasting his goods. 2 So he called him and said to him, ‘What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your stewardship, for you can no longer be steward.’

Notice the bold portion in the previous verse. We should not be wasteful. This includes killing for sport.

Also Luke 16:10

10 He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much.

Thus, as good stewards we have to deal justly and faithfully, which entails being responsible towards nature.