Ethiopians, Eritreans

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Are there just Egyptians here?  Where are the other Coptics??  How do the different bodies differ??

Taylor

Comments

• [quote author=desertnurse link=topic=5455.msg72640#msg72640 date=1182104543]
    Are there just Egyptians here?  Where are the other Coptics??  How do the different bodies differ??

hmmmmm. Coptic = Egyptian.
    Coptic Church bisacly mean the "Egyptian" church. which is than part of the Oriental Orthodx churchs which than include Ethiopians and Eritreans.

Here are the Oriental Orthodox Churchs:

- Coptic Orthodox Church
        -> British Orthodox Church  (Were a sparate church but now is part of the Coptic Church)
        -> French Orthodox Church (Were a sparate church but now is part of the Coptic Church)
    - Ethiopian Orthodox Church
    - Syrian Orthodox Church
    - Eritrean Orthodox Church
    - Armenian Orthodox Church
    - Indian Orthodox Church

Here is a topic that can explain more:
    In communion with
  • Groovy.

Are any of them represented here?

Taylor
  • [quote author=desertnurse link=topic=5455.msg72643#msg72643 date=1182105935]
    Are any of them represented here?

if am not mistaken John (Anglian) is a British Orthodox Church member....
    i remeber a member of the Indian Church has posted a post here before.
  • Dear Mina, Dear Taylor,

Mina is right, I am indeed a member of the British Orthodox Church, which comes under the jurisdiction of Alexandria. Our Metropolitan, Abba Seraphim, is a full member of the Coptic Synod, and we have frequent meetings with our other Oriental Orthodox brothers and sisters. This site here http://www.copticcentre.com/ contains details of the recent Oriental Orthodox festival in the UK when all the parts of our family came together - and a joyous occasion it was too. None of us will ever forget the sheer power of the Ethiopians and Eritreans in their witness to the Lord - it blew us all away. Bishop Angaelos, the general bishop, who organised it all brilliantly, said afterwards in answer to a question that the reason he had left the drumming and dancing by our Ethiopian and Eritrean brothers and sisters until the end was that he knew it would be impossible to follow that; he was, as ever, right.

We have some Ethiopian brothers and sisters who post here, as well as some Indians. As part of the Oriental Orthodox family, Taylor, you would join many millions in bearing witness to the Risen Lord.

In Christ,

John
  • I am here as well.

Peter Theodore Farrington from the British Orthodox Church.

• Im so glad that there is a british orthodox church.. I wish there were more in australia and america (if in america there is not any or not much)

there isn't any in australia right?

• [quote author=mikeforjesus link=topic=5455.msg72706#msg72706 date=1182177865]
    Im so glad that there is a british orthodox church.. I wish there were more in australia and america (if in america there is not any or not much)

there isn't any in australia right?

well i think the word British makes a big diffrence here but it really doesn't matter because they are still part of the coptic church which fills the whole world.
  • Dear Peter,

welcome here - unlike another site we both know, this one does not have a problem with Coptic Orthodoxy!!! ;D

Dear Mina,

The 'British' refers only to ethos - that is, if you like, ethnic practice; Orthodox praxis is what it is in all the Oriental Orthodox family. We much admire the wisdom and holiness of Pope Shenouda, and have a deep love and respect for the witness borne by the Copts these many centuries; to be part of the historic see of St. Mark is a great honour.

In Christ,

John
  • [quote author=Anglian link=topic=5455.msg72732#msg72732 date=1182185691]
    Dear Mina,

The 'British' refers only to ethos - that is, if you like, ethnic practice; Orthodox praxis is what it is in all the Oriental Orthodox family. We much admire the wisdom and holiness of Pope Shenouda, and have a deep love and respect for the witness borne by the Copts these many centuries; to be part of the historic see of St. Mark is a great honour.

best way to put it.....thanks John.
  • Just to be thorough,
    the word "Coptic" is derived from the Greek word "Aigyptos," which the Greeks used to described the early Egyptians. When the Muslims took over in the seventh century, they couldn't pronounce the name correctly given the nature of their native language. Thus, they named us "Copts" or "Qypt" in Arabic. The actual Coptic language, which is the final derivation of a demotic script (which itself came from hieroglyphics), is written in Greek letters and seven added hieroglyphic letters (the last seven in the 31-letter alphabet). In Coptic, Egypt is called "Kemi" and Egyptians are "rem en Kemi."
  • Hello. I'm representing the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church here. :)

There are four other Ethiopians in this forum that I know of: Tefsehit, habesha, AT.Maryam, and Amdetsion.

But the sad part is that our church is divided and there are two synods right now. ONe in the country and one in the diaspora. There are two patriarchs.

As of the ERitrean Orthodox church... it is also in trouble. It's patriarch was under house arrest (i think he still is) by the government.  And the government takes all the money that is donated (given) to the church by the people...this includes tiths too. The government then pays the priests their salaries. Also, get this... it is funny and sad at the same time: the government requires a cerntain amount of priest and prohibits excess amount of priests in one church. If there are, they are sent to military camp to be trained to be soldiers.

May God help our Church to be one and free from any hardship. Amen.
  • well nto to change the subject but, why are we Coptic Orthodox... why "Coptic" was it the language we used to speak? or...
  • Yes in fact it was the language we used to speak until the arab conquest. Coptic of course means egyptian. coming from the greek word Aigyptos which the arabs couldn't pronounce calling us qibt or qibty instead.
  • oh ok tthanks jydeacon, it makes sense now lol
  • Dear Friends,
    I am an Eritrean Orthodox, and what the Ethiopian brother has said about the Eritrean Orthodox Church and the present situation with His Holiness Patriarch Antonius is correct.

Just to add in the most recent developments to the saga of the Patriarch, on the 28th of June, 2007, the government of Eritrea has finalized its full and complete control of the church by enthroning a schismatic bishop - one Abba Dioscoros - to the Seat of the Patriarchate. On June 30th, H.H. Patriarch Antonius was awakened by security agents of the government at 5:00A.M. in the morning from his residence where he had been held under house arrest, and was taken to another location for a more stringent incarceration.

Many prominent priests and deacons were thrown in prison three years ago and they have not been heard from since' nor have they been charged with any crime. It is worth noting here that the "crime" for which His Holiness' is persecuted is his determined opposition to any interference by the government in the affairs of the church.

Please pray for His Holiness and the Eritrean Orthodox Church. As you may all be aware, the Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox Churches are among the first fruits of the missionary work of the Coptic Church in the early 4th century under the Patriarchate of St. Athanasius.
    In Chirst,
    Habtu.

• Dear Mical,

We are praying for the Patriarch, and the British Orthodox Church is holding a special service for him on 27 June in London.

We must all pray for his safety, and that he be given the strength to bear his ordeal; to him has fallen the mantle of the confessors of the Faith. May the Lord comfort and strengthen him.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • [quote author=Anglian link=topic=5455.msg73024#msg73024 date=1182443685]
    Dear Mical,

We are praying for the Patriarch, and the British Orthodox Church is holding a special service for him on 27 June in London.

We must all pray for his safety, and that he be given the strength to bear his ordeal; to him has fallen the mantle of the confessors of the Faith. May the Lord comfort and strengthen him.

In Christ,

Anglian

BBC News reports it...

Christians protest over Eritrea 
    By Martin Plaut
    BBC Africa analyst 

Patriarch Antonios (l) used to have
    good relations with the president (r)

A service has been held in London to protest against the treatment of the head of the Eritrean orthodox church.

Patriarch Antonious is the head of two million orthodox believers and is a high-profile prisoner of conscience.

He was removed from his position earlier this year, after criticising the Eritrean government for interference in church activities.

Amnesty International says Eritrea displays one of the most extreme forms of religious persecution in the world.

The meeting heard that this was only the latest example of religious repression.

Health fears

In 1994, followers of Jehovah's Witness - who refused military service on religious grounds - were stripped of all rights, including citizenship.

Then in 2002 the crackdown was extended to the evangelical churches.

And now the patriarch of the orthodox church, to which most Eritrean Christians belong, has been removed from his post and imprisoned after objecting to Eritrean government attempts to stop a bible-reading group.

The head of the British Orthodox Church, Metropolitan Seraphim, told the BBC he was very worried about his health.

"He's 79. He is known to have diabetes. And he's been kept in a darkened room in his residence and he complained on one occasion he was unable to even read his Bible."

Eritrea has a history of considerable religious tolerance between its Muslim and Christian communities, but the government comes from a Marxist-Leninist tradition.

The church says it believes quiet pressure has failed, and it will now take the issue of Patriarch Antonios to the British government.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6249028.stm
  • Dear Hailemikael,

Thank you for posting the link; the service was, I am told, very moving; Abba Seraphim's speech was an eloquent plea, and we are organising further campaigns to focus attention on the plight of the Patriarch.

I would ask all our brothers and sisters here to remember Patriarch Antonios in their prayers, and, where possible, to add his name to their Church's prayer list.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • My ancestors saw that there was often trouble when church controlled the state or the state controlled the church.

I hope that this silly coup fizzles out with no spark and that your Church is restored to its proper peace.

Taylor