Is smoking a sin?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello everyone who are hearing I mean reading this message may you please give me a good reply now my question is that is smoking a sin because some of my relatives smoke and I really do like my relatives or actually relative. I am asking this question because my D.A.R.E. officer says that you can choose once you are over 18 if you want to smoke or not because it's your decision but if it is a sin why do you want to smoke but it is true once you are over 18 you can choose to smoke because in that age you become a man. So can you please reply and tell me the truth if smoking is a sin or not. Oh yeah I am not saying this to smoke O.K. just to tell you and did i tell you my D.A.R.E. officer smokes please ansewer me with a good reply.

Comments

• smoking is defenitely a sin, why?? because it's an addiction, and any addiction is a sin, because u chose the addiction over God, u can't control urself, and ur will weakens, so if u cant resist the addiction u won't be able to resist other sins. It's kinda the opposite of fasting, u see where i'm going???
  • Hey mr.cool, what I think is that it is sin because smoking can give you a lot of problems to kill you. what i think mr.cool about smoking is that, when you take smoking you are leting an enemy take you over when you actually know its that bad. The is the mean of addicting. I know you'r D.A.R.E officer sais that you have to be 18 years or older which is correct but he oicked his way of life so I am sure he is addicted to smoking but he is telling you this and your class because he doesn't want anyone to choose the wrong thing he picked which is most likely wrong. See ya later bro
  • “Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your bodyâ€? 1 Corinthians 6:19-20.

Would you pollute God's Temple like that....would you smoke in Church...If you wouldnt smoke in God's house, the Church Building...then How much more, by comparison, should you not smoke and pollute the temple of God that is you...

• ow yeah, good point copt4life, i forgot that one lol

it's a sin, because our body is a temple to the Holy Spirit, so it's a sin to damage the body or destroy it in any way, that's why tatoos and piercings etc are wrong, and also smoking of course, which kills and damages the body :)
  • i have a question...maybe off topic a bit...but those people who smoke...are they suppose to take communion...i don't know why but I always thought they aren't...so anyone have an answer.... ???
  • here's another verse... "For this is the will of God ...that each of you should know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honour." 1 Thessalonians 4:4

sanctification..or cleanliness...not pollution
  • Hello Mr. Cool. I hope this answers your question.

"Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are." (1 Cor. 3:16-17)

Now why would you like to harm your body, If you can avoid it please try. Agape

Please remember me in your prayers
    Avvaantoni
  • i ones heard abouna saying that smokinf is the same as murder
    we all know that smoking kills
    so at the end of the day, ur killing urself, slowly, and of course that is a sin
  • goog point Wog!
  • Smoking is a sin becoz you are hurting God's beautiful creation: Your Body

Its like hurting Jesus himself
  • I believe it's a sin but abounas know a lot of adults that confess to them who smoke and they never confess that they smoked ::) so how come?
  • i think it isnt bc its not exactly something u do over and over again, with time to change or repent or even rethink what ur doing, once ur in u cant get out, theres no ok i did it again, and for confession, u confess it once u start, then its all recovery
  • i heard that it was a sin because 1st of all it is not our bodies. we dont hve the rite to hurt the bodies that God gave us for our time here on earth. my sunday school teacher told me 2 look at it as borrowing a book from the library- since the book is not ours we hve to take good care of it. u cant spill coffee on it and return it not expecting 2 get billed! we are borrowing our bodies from God so we shouldnt hurt it. also we shouldnt spend our money on haram. u worked hard 4 tht money and 2 spend it on cigarettes which is really expensive thez dayz iz not rite. God gave us this money and we should use it wisely.
  • I would also point out the following verse:

"All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful. All things are lawful, but not all things edify." 1Cor 10:23

Thus, even when your DARE teacher says that once you're 18, you can legally choose to smoke, you must realize that doing so is still a sin. It does not help or edify you in any way whatsoever. It is indeed very sad to see people smoking. Perhaps you should gently nudge your relative to quit--although this is obviously easier said than done. But it's still worth a shot -- just be nice, telling him that you care for him and his physical and spiritual health and that's why you bring it up. In any case, you should never start--don't even try it.
  • i want to add to my previous post that what i meant is that although no doubting it is a sin, i dont know about it being considered a sin to confess each time, bc its so hard to control that once u start u cant stop, even if u realy want to, so y is it a sin still if ur trying but its out of ur hands...
  • Father Armeya Boules said that smoking is a form of slow suicide. You know that stuff will kill you, yet you still listen to the flesh and go ahead an kill yourself.
  • Wow..that's smart..but my quiestion remains..how come smoking adults don't confess that they smoke if it's a sin..and how come the abounas know they smoke and don't tell them to confess about it or anything..
  • how do u knw they don't confess abt it...u don't hear their confession...do u...unless u are an abouna ???
  • I don't smoke. I don't see how it could be a sin. You can't take those words in the Bible and only apply them to smoking. If smoking is a sin then eating your mom's fatty foods is a sin. The only people who are sinning are the tabacco companies and those governments who do not wish to stop it because it brings in too much money. And personally I also believe that those parents who overfeed their children are just as bad as the tabacco companies.

Smoking is the least of your worries, maybe you should care more about how you hurt others rather than smoking and hurting yourself.

I highly doubt you will go to hell for smoking tabacco, and if thats the case then im not to happy about that.
  • When I say "smoke" I don't mean to the point of killing yourself and causing pain to the one's you love, I mean casual smoke.
  • im not sure if this was said or not, but here goes
    smoking is a sin for sure... i've heard it a few times from bishops and priests and such...
    it is an addiction, and any addiction is wrong (smoking, alcohol, drugs, eating, etc)... if someone has an addiction they value that thing over God, an addiction causes someone to focus on it rather than on God, and we know God has to be #1 in our life. sadly enough it becomes like an idol in our life and we spend time, money and energy on it...

as well, sometimes somkers are unable to fast before communion because they need to smoke in the morning or during the day, thus cant take communion. if something stops someone from recieving the Holy Body and Precious Blood of Christ, then in that situation it's definately a sin.

unfortunately, i believe that there arent very many who 'casually smoke'.... tobacco is too addictive to be casual...

and as many have mentioned before, it is destroying the temple of God, our bodies, and we need to keep His temple as clean and good as possible, so slowly killing oursleves with smoking is not keeping the temple of God in good shape.

eating too much is a sin too, overfeeding kids needlessly is a sin and should be controlled... after all, gluttony is one of the 7 deadly sins....

for those who choose not to confess smoking, it is a personal choice.... its a sin like any other and should be confessed, even if it gets repetative... we all need forgiveness for all sins...

i kno i may have been repetative...that's jus my 0.5 cents..

take care and God bless!
  • [quote author=mr.cool link=topic=953.msg16667#msg16667 date=1104356710]
    Hello everyone who are hearing I mean reading this message may you please give me a good reply now my question is that is smoking a sin because some of my relatives smoke and I really do like my relatives or actually relative. I am asking this question because my D.A.R.E. officer says that you can choose once you are over 18 if you want to smoke or not because it's your decision but if it is a sin why do you want to smoke but it is true once you are over 18 you can choose to smoke because in that age you become a man. So can you please reply and tell me the truth if smoking is a sin or not. Oh yeah I am not saying this to smoke O.K. just to tell you and did i tell you my D.A.R.E. officer smokes please ansewer me with a good reply.

what's a D.A.R.E. officer??
    anyway, smoking is wrong if u inhale. Carrying a packet of cigarettes in your pocket JUST to look cool is OK.
    Pretending to smoke to impress girls is OK, heck its even funny, and they could think u were hilarious and marry u for it.
    But INHALING is when it starts to get dangerous.

Someone I know stopped smoking because someone asked him:
    "Would u smoke in front of your dad"
    No
    "Would u smoke in front of your priest"
    No
    "Would you smoke in front of the Pope!?"
    No
    "But u smoke in front of God!?"

Anyway, had he reached the full logical conclusion of this, it would have read as follows:

"Would you go to the toilet in front of your priest"
    No
    hahah...

Just stop cos its killing your health and those aroud u!!!!
  • Smoking damages your body - which is the temple of your spirit; that is a sin.

Smoking damages others around you - who are the children of God; that is a sin.

Smoking is an indulgence of selfishness; that is a sin.

Smoking wastes money that might be used for God's work; that is a sin.

Are these major sins? Well, in as far as they damage you and others, yes. In as far as they are a wasteful indulgence and distract you from better ways of being, yes.

Ask your foc, but I think he will say that it is wrong.

It is an addiction - and addictions are to be avoided as they divide us from God.

In Christ,

John
  • Fasekh(rotten/salted fish) damages your body- that is a sin

Fasekh damages people around you- who am I kidding, no one would be around you!

Fasekh is indulgence...perhaps not

Fasekh wastes money that could have been used for pasta- that is a sin

At the end of the day, fasekh is disgusting.
  • ok....so what anglian said let me say that nearly everything is a sin...let me say some examples:

driveing a car must be a sin -> it emmiting dangerous gases such as nitroso gases and fcc wich are bad for our health
    working in an industrie -> u help people polute the environment and "kill" other people with it
    buying cheap clothes made in china or india -> u suport those people who take children and let them work for them for really cheap
    warming ur home -> if u warm it with wood or oil...u are wmmiting dangouros gases and thats bad for the health of u and other people
    using electricity-> the same

do u get my point?...so if smoking is a sin then nearly everithing what we do on this world is a sin!
    or what do u think about it?
  • [quote author=Αριψαλιν link=topic=953.msg72964#msg72964 date=1182389218]
    ok....so what anglian said let me say that nearly everything is a sin...let me say some examples:

driveing a car must be a sin -> it emmiting dangerous gases such as nitroso gases and fcc wich are bad for our health
    working in an industrie -> u help people polute the environment and "kill" other people with it
    buying cheap clothes made in china or india -> u suport those people who take children and let them work for them for really cheap
    warming ur home -> if u warm it with wood or oil...u are wmmiting dangouros gases and thats bad for the health of u and other people

do u get my point?...so if smoking is a sin then nearly everithing what we do on this world is a sin!

Yes, its awful. We are beginning to learn that we cannot pollute the planete and expect everyone to be happy about it. The biggest thing on the agenda of the G8 is global warming.
    So, it is a sin to pollute.

Smoking is bad because you pollute your own body and those around u that have nothing to do with your personal desire to ruin your health.
  • Starving is bad for your health, so is it a sin to fast (and I mean only eat one meal a day sort of thing or not at all).

Exactly. As a medical student I can not downplay at all the damage that is done by cigarette smoke. It may help in decreasing chances of developing parkinson's or increase chances of surviving a heart attack, decrease severe gum regression, treat Tb, decrease the risk of breast cancer and papllary thyroid cancer, and decreasing Alzhiemers.

However, smoking is a disgusting and expensive habit. It increases dramatically the chances of a number of lung cancers, especially small cell carcinoma, which has probably one of the worst prognosis (outlook) that most cancers. It increases chances of cancers everywhere in the respiratory tract. If you have been exposed to asbestos, you can get mesothelioma from smoking additive effect. You can increase your blood pressure and increase the chance of having a heart attack. You will have emphysema and chronic bronchitis (together usually referred to as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) which is irreversible decrease in the ability to breathe- you can kiss good bye doing a lot of activities (not that you would be able to afford them!).

In effect kids, say "no" to drugs.
  • [quote author=Doubting Thomas link=topic=953.msg72978#msg72978 date=1182417562]
    Starving is bad for your health, so is it a sin to fast (and I mean only eat one meal a day sort of thing or not at all).

Exactly. As a medical student I can not downplay at all the damage that is done by cigarette smoke. It may help in decreasing chances of developing parkinson's or increase chances of surviving a heart attack, decrease severe gum regression, treat Tb, decrease the risk of breast cancer and papllary thyroid cancer, and decreasing Alzhiemers.

However, smoking is a disgusting and expensive habit. It increases dramatically the chances of a number of lung cancers, especially small cell carcinoma, which has probably one of the worst prognosis (outlook) that most cancers. It increases chances of cancers everywhere in the respiratory tract. If you have been exposed to asbestos, you can get mesothelioma from smoking additive effect. You can increase your blood pressure and increase the chance of having a heart attack. You will have emphysema and chronic bronchitis (together usually referred to as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) which is irreversible decrease in the ability to breathe- you can kiss good bye doing a lot of activities (not that you would be able to afford them!).

In effect kids, say "no" to drugs.

Thomas! Walking outside your house and going to the town center to buy some water or milk will drammatically increase your chances of gettng run over by a car. Unless of course, you are homeless and live on the M25 and M4 interchange near heathrow airport.

But the probability of getting run over is soo small (unless u live in Egypt near the Midan Talaat Harb), and its even smaller if u are a sa3eedi man living in that area as they cross the road without even looking.

But consistent smoking causes lung cancer. Crossing the road consistently doesnt cause lung cancer nor death. Bad drivers cause death.

Do u see the difference, or are u sa3eedi? lol
  • [quote author=Αριψαλιν link=topic=953.msg72964#msg72964 date=1182389218]
    ok....so what anglian said let me say that nearly everything is a sin...let me say some examples:

i think your over exaggerating.........something onli becomes a sin when it is morally wrong or prevents you from serving christ
  • not really. It's funny "the wages of sin is death". Now what is the wages of cigarettes? Hmmm...Interesting hey. It is more than 15 dollars everyday. It is death.

I will leave you with what a priest said about smoking (which is in the same lines as Anglican/John:

he simple answer is YES.

Here's why:

1. It is a dirtying of something that should be respected as holy.

Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. It was dipped in the Holy water of Baptism and anointed with the Holy Chrism, thus being filled with the Holy Spirit. It regularly recieves the Body and Blood of Christ in Holy Communion. Your body is a holy gift from God and should be treated with respect and care.

Could you imagine someone setting off a sooty smoke bomb next to the altar in Church? Covering the altar with black soot and ash? What a terrible thing to do! Yet when you smoke, that is exactly what you are doing. You are allowing harmful substances to enter that body sanctified by the Holy Spirit and coat your lungs with soot, and clog your blood vessels with plaques.

2. It is a form of Suicide.
    Smoking is slow Suicide. There are a hundred different ways that smoking can kill or severly disable you, ranging from cancer to gangrene (your toes rot and fall off) to emphysaema (where you slowly suffocate to death over many weeks or months) to heart disease to strokes and paralysis. It contains many poisons that are harmful to your body.

We do not have the right to kill ourselves in this way or any other way - it is disobeying the 6th commandment, "You shall not murder". Not only do we have a responsibility to ourselves and to God, but also to those who love us. How do you think a child feels whose mother ends up spending weeks and weeks in hospital because of their smoking?

3. It can kill others
    It has been proven that passive smoke (which comes out of the lit end of a cigarette) has six times the concentration of poisons as the smoke the smoker inhales from the filtered end. That passive smoke can cause disease in a non-smoker who breaths it by being near you. You could kill someone with your cigarette.

4. It is a form of addiction
    As Christians, we have been freed by Christ and should not allow ourselves to become a slave to anything. A smoker who cannot stop will find herself often nervous and anxious because she can't get a cigarette in a meeting, or forced to miss out on activities where smoking is not allowed, or even unable to have Holy Communion. WHY??? Why do that to yourself? Why become a weak slave of a little stick of paper and leaves?

5. It is an irresponsible use of your money
    Would you like someone to give you $3650 a year for doing nothing? That's what happens when a smoker who smokes a packet a day (about $10 a packet) saves when he stops smoking! Smoking is almost like taking your money and burning it. That is not a responsible thing to do. God gave each of us certain gifts and talents and we should use them not just selfishly, but to help others also. Imagine what that $3650 could do every year: how many hungry families could it feed? How many vaccinations could it give to save the lives of poor children. Or you could at least spend it on your family and friends rather than just burning it away for nothing. That is truly selfish.