Nofri

edited December 1969 in Introductions
[coptic]Nofri[/coptic]
Hi everyone!
I was told to this website by a friend 3 years ago.
I always listened to the hymns of this site, but never had a look on the forum until last two weeks.
It´s a wonderful place to discuss and to learn more about our church.
I am from Austria, St. Antony Monastery (20km from Vienna).
I hope that we can fortify our faith in this wonderful forum.
Looking forward to talk with you...
Georgios

[coptic]Oujai qen P=o=c.[/coptic]

Comments

• Welcome you will love the forum as much as all of us who come here do i am sure. again welcome
  • hey Georgios,
    welcome champ....what does nofri mean? is that austrian for hello?? awesome stuff!!!!
    anyways buddy
    God bless and look forward to leading you posts ;)

• [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

After a quick search, it seems that [coptic]Nofri[/coptic] (nofri) means 'happy' in Coptic.  It can be used as a form of greeting as well.
  • [coptic]Nofri[/coptic], as you said, means happy or hello and [coptic]Oujai[/coptic] means peace or bye in coptic. :D You will always find coptic in my texts because i am teaching the bohairic coptic in our monastery.
    I just wonder from which countries you are.... from all over the world. But i think that most of you are americans...
    God bless you
    [coptic]Se `nrompi[/coptic]

• I thought that oogai was salvation.
  • [coptic] `n;wk se `nrompi
    [/coptic]
  • You are very exact, brother Amoussa... Exactness is very good and important in life.
    But to be a bit more exact: [coptic]Oujai[/coptic] can also mean mercy  :D
    But i see that iam not the only one who speaks coptic... Coptic is very important for us because it´s our language and our culture...[coptic]¿[/coptic]
    [coptic]}sep`hmot pacon[/coptic] jy[coptic]diakon[/coptic]  :D
    May god bless you all
  • Hey there Georgios,
    I'm really glad you found your way to this site. I'm sure we will learn much from each other. Since you teach Coptic, I'm wondering if there are any tips you can give me to convince people at my church to take on a Coptic language class. I've taken classes before, but I am only a novice.
  • [quote author=Georgios link=topic=5456.msg72744#msg72744 date=1182209991]
    You are very exact, brother Amoussa... Exactness is very good and important in life.
    But to be a bit more exact: [coptic]Oujai[/coptic] can also mean mercy  :D
    But i see that iam not the only one who speaks coptic... Coptic is very important for us because it´s our language and our culture...[coptic]¿[/coptic]
    [coptic]}sep`hmot pacon[/coptic] jy[coptic]diakon[/coptic]  :D
    May god bless you all

wooowww,

so [coptic]Gewrgioc[/coptic], you wanna start a coptic class going here on the forum. please do so. i know how to write and read coptic well....but not understand it as a language.
  • Inshallah - When it is the will of god = [coptic]Aresan `Vnou] ouws.[/coptic]  :D
    We can learn a lot from each other. This forum is really a great way to keep our faith and our culture... I already read some of your texts...and i saw that your answers are very good, beautiful and really a helping hand. I am really proud to be one of you.
    But i wonder what ages you are... are you in college or in school or are you already working?
    Looking forward to read more texts of you...
    [coptic]Vnou] `cmou erwten.[/coptic] God bless you (pl.)  :D
  • wow this is incredible...Georgios can u just clarify sumfin for me? do Vnou] `cmou erwten and Se `nrompi both mean God bless you??

btw im not American im %$#*AuStRaLiAn*%$

God bless and take care :)
  • [coptic]se `nrompi[/coptic] (she enrombi) translates simply to: "A hundred years." it´s used to say something like "taeesh wat sali"...
    The answer can be [coptic]`n;wk se `nrompi[/coptic] (enthok she enrombi) - [coptic]`n;wk [/coptic] = you .... or ..... [coptic]ouoh `n;ok somt se (`nrompi), t[/coptic] which means "And you, three hundred (years)."
    You are correct in saying that the spirit of the greeting is
    "May you live and pray a hundred years." And the response, "And you three-hundred years."

Though I've always wondered why anyone would want to live on this earth for 300 years... :D
  • [quote author=Georgios link=topic=5456.msg72766#msg72766 date=1182248170]
    Inshallah - When it is the will of god = [coptic]Aresan `Vnou] ouws.[/coptic]  :D
    We can learn a lot from each other. This forum is really a great way to keep our faith and our culture... I already read some of your texts...and i saw that your answers are very good, beautiful and really a helping hand. I am really proud to be one of you.
    But i wonder what ages you are... are you in college or in school or are you already working?
    Looking forward to read more texts of you...
    [coptic]Vnou] `cmou erwten.[/coptic] God bless you (pl.)  :D

well am just a deacon...17 yrs old....about to graduate from high school in exactly 7 days...and than college right after.
    am from St. Mark church Jersey City, NJ....(best deacons everrrr)
  • Just 17 years old but i read some of your posts... wonderful answers...
    I know the deacons of st mark new jersey... also very good deacons
    I always listen to your songs and hymns on this site... wonderful voices and good chosen songs
    ...and graduating from high school in 7 days...
    May God help you on your way. [coptic]Vnou] aribo`y;in erok qen pekmwit.[/coptic]
  • [quote author=Georgios link=topic=5456.msg72777#msg72777 date=1182258990]
    Just 17 years old but i read some of your posts... wonderful answers...
    I know the deacons of st mark new jersey... also very good deacons
    I always listen to your songs and hymns on this site... wonderful voices and good chosen songs
    ...and graduating from high school in 7 days...
    May God help you on your way. [coptic]Vnou] aribo`y;in erok qen pekmwit.[/coptic]

thanks. just need ur prayers.
    btw, if you having discovered yet....am an alhan freak. ;D and am proud of it.
    and every once in a while u'll see me talk about how nice my church, st. Mark's JC is. am very proud of my church and those who are in it.
  • I am also an alhan freak, as you said.... i love alhan, especially the tasbeha...
    We in Austria have an exam for those who want to be oghnostos... and a part of the exam is to sing 10 long hymns, such as ke eperto, ten thino, bek ethronos and so on...
    I love our hymns very much... I love them so much that i´ve written a book with 32 pages about coptic music, but it is in german. There are over than 525 hymns in our church... I hope we´ll learn them all to give them to our children too...
    So, Mina, we can say that we´re alhancollegues  :D
    Gbu
  • I am a deacon as well, 18 years old. just finished high school and going off to college. i am in colorado.
  • [quote author=Georgios link=topic=5456.msg72781#msg72781 date=1182263322]
    I am also an alhan freak, as you said.... i love alhan, especially the tasbeha...
    We in Austria have an exam for those who want to be oghnostos... and a part of the exam is to sing 10 long hymns, such as ke eperto, ten thino, bek ethronos and so on...
    I love our hymns very much... I love them so much that i´ve written a book with 32 pages about coptic music, but it is in german. There are over than 525 hymns in our church... I hope we´ll learn them all to give them to our children too...
    Gbu

of course... :)... actually i missed one thing, i am part of the Seraphim Chorus. a small chorus that was started here in the tri-state area by some deacons. we're doing great. we had 2 semasters till now and we learned many hymns. the longest we learned till now is Al El-orban. if u go on the site u can see our syllabus, how to join, and goals.

and i thought we would have more alhan than 525 lhn.................

[quote author=jydeacon link=topic=5456.msg72784#msg72784 date=1182267143]
    I am a deacon as well, 18 years old. just finished high school and going off to college. i am in colorado.

great to know.
  • [quote author=Georgios link=topic=5456.msg72773#msg72773 date=1182256455]
    [coptic]se `nrompi[/coptic] (she enrombi) translates simply to: "A hundred years." it´s used to say something like "taeesh wat sali"...
    The answer can be [coptic]`n;wk se `nrompi[/coptic] (enthok she enrombi) - [coptic]`n;wk [/coptic] = you .... or ..... [coptic]ouoh `n;ok somt se (`nrompi), t[/coptic] which means "And you, three hundred (years)."
    You are correct in saying that the spirit of the greeting is
    "May you live and pray a hundred years." And the response, "And you three-hundred years."

Though I've always wondered why anyone would want to live on this earth for 300 years... :D

wow thats amazing.....but wats bohairic coptic? wat does bohairic mean?

It's a dialect of Coptic.  There are many, but the two most prominent ones are Bohairic and Sahidic (if I'm not mistaken).
  • is there much of a difference?? how can they be distinguished?

From what I've been told, there is a fairly significant difference between them.  I believe it is the Bohairic that is used in the Liturgy (again, someone who is more knowledgeable, please correct me).  As for how to distinguish them, I honestly don't know.
  • Yes you are correct boharic coptic is what is used in the liturgy. and yes there is quite a difference in the way certain words or letters are pronounced. just like it is in egypt now with arabic. there is the average pronunciation of words and the sahidic way of pronouncing words and any one that has been to egypt can verify this
  • Knfoc ur right.
    Bohairic is the diolect that we use mainly...which was also updated by HH Pope Kerrolos the V (or maybe the IV)
    the Sahidic on the other hand is the 'Se3ede' diolect which as it is called, originated in upper egypt.
    by the way, the text for both should be the same. only the way it's said is defferent.

actually some have diffrent texts for diff diolects.
  • im 19 and in a university. My passion is alhan and i would love to learn more about coptic as a language, i also encourage all deacons to do the same. If you can teach us georgious, that would be awesome! ;D

Tony
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5456.msg72789#msg72789 date=1182269040]
    [quote author=Georgios link=topic=5456.msg72781#msg72781 date=1182263322]
    I am also an alhan freak, as you said.... i love alhan, especially the tasbeha...
    Gbu

of course... :)... actually i missed one thing, i am part of the Seraphim Chorus. a small chorus that was started here in the tri-state area by some deacons. we're doing great. we had 2 semasters till now and we learned many hymns. the longest we learned till now is Al El-orban. if u go on the site u can see our syllabus, how to join, and goals.

and i thought we would have more alhan than 525 lhn.................

[quote author=jydeacon link=topic=5456.msg72784#msg72784 date=1182267143]
    I am a deacon as well, 18 years old. just finished high school and going off to college. i am in colorado.

great to know.

wow nice to know that your in the Seraphim Chorus  :) , i know 2 people in it, and there voices are amazing, hope to hear one of your recordings soon  :)

and..
    NOFRI, WELCOME Georgios!!! hope you like the forum, and thanks for some of Coptic words, i learned something new  :)
  • [quote author=He Wept link=topic=5456.msg72841#msg72841 date=1182285958]
    wow nice to know that your in the Seraphim Chorus  :) , i know 2 people in it, and there voices are amazing, hope to hear one of your recordings soon  :)

who you know....?
  • [coptic]Aresan `Vnou] ouws pacon Twni.[/coptic]... [coptic]pacon[/coptic]=my brother
    [coptic]}sep`hmot pacon Mina[/coptic]... [coptic]}sep`hmot[/coptic]=thx
    But i see that you all are´nt novices, you know a lot about the coptic language... ;)
    I am not a saidi and so i don´t speak sahidic coptic  ;D
    I am very glad that we found together... You´re a wonderful group of deacons and deaconesses...
    I have a entering test in the medicin university of vienna 6 july... and i am in the clerical college in germany (as you maybe recognized in my picture)... :)
    [coptic]Agapy nem Hirini[/coptic]
  • Everybody knows that Sahidic is the real Coptic, not that fake version that has been so modified by the Greek that it is hardly recogniseable anymore.  ;)

Welcome Gregorios, it is good to see someone who is able to read and listen to Bohairic as a language and not just mere sounds. The Divine Liturgy must be a much more heightened experience for you. As for me, I have just completed my first semester of Sahidic Coptic at Macquarie University's Coptic Studies Program, so although I am not able to have the full experience of the Divine Liturgy yet given that it is in Bohairic, I have been very privileged to have been able to start reading the writings of our Holy Fathers in their original language (some of which have yet to be translated into english)--excerpts of the Holy Abba Shenoute and Abba Dioscoros.

I hope more people will pursue learning of both dialects given their mutual importance to appreciating the faith and allowing it to be more accessible to the congregation.
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5456.msg72704#msg72704 date=1182177462]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

After a quick search, it seems that [coptic]Nofri[/coptic] (nofri) means 'happy' in Coptic.  It can be used as a form of greeting as well.

Hey knfoc, how comes u know so much coptic!???

That's very good. Yes, abouna Shenouda Doss from Ottawa Canada used sing us Nofri ba for our birthday -

"Nofri ba - bek a homiseen, pamenreet, nofri... "

But well done guys, i wish i could learn coptic too. Did u buy a teach yourself course?