Question Regarding Psalm 50

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
How is it that David the prophet says

"Cast me not away from your presence and do not take away your holy spirit from me."

David was before the day of Pentocost so how did he have the holy spirit?

PK

Comments

• [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

In the Old Testament, the Holy Spirit was not given as freely as it is now.  Back then, whenever a person was anointed by oil (typically by a prophet), then the Holy Spirit would descend upon that person.  This was the case for King Saul.  In the beginning, when Samuel anointed him king, the Spirit of God descended upon him.  However, as he strayed further and further away from God, the Spirit left him, and he eventually became possessed.  This is why we are chrismated to this day with oil, in order that we might also receive the Holy Spirit after baptism.
  • David was before the day of Pentocost so how did he have the holy spirit?

David was a prophet, one of the greatest prophets in history.
    We all know that the whole bible is written by god through the saints.
    "For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." (2 Petrus 1:21)

And so also David the Prophet:

"These are the last words of David: (...)     
    The Spirit of the Lord spoke through me; his word was on my tongue." (2 Samuel 23:1-2)

God bless you

[coptic]Gewrgioc[/coptic]
  • Although the Holy Spirit was not present in the same way as He was after Pentecost, He was nevertheless present.

Although He did not abide in people as He did in the Apostles after Pentecost and subsequently all baptised and chrismated Orthodox Christians, He worked  outwardly.

This is how a heretic, Jew, Muslim or pagan (i.e. those not baptised) may be led by the Holy Spirit to embrace Christianity.
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=5466.msg72748#msg72748 date=1182214073]
    How is it that David the prophet says

"Cast me not away from your presence and do not take away your holy spirit from me."

David was before the day of Pentocost so how did he have the holy spirit?

PK

THe Holy Spirit of God was present since the beginning. We know this. It was hovering above the waters during the creation. Everything was created with the life giving Holy Spirit.

In the old Testament, before the pentacost, certain people had the Holy Spirit descend on them such as kings, and prophets.. that's how the prophets prophecised. When David sinned, he noticed what it was like to have the Holy Spirit part from him. He consciously decided to sin. It wasnt an accident. I think he was so devoured by lust, he himself didnt even realise at what he was doing.

I read the response by knfoc, it sounds exactly like the response i heard from my priest.