Thought I'd share..

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
There's a wide misconception, especially among Egyptians, that in order to live you HAVE to get top marks and get the BEST job, and DEVOTE yourself to it so you can be successful...

This may seem really obvious to some, as it was to me, but it never really hit me till recently.. WHY ON EARTH DOES EVERYONE STRESS ABOUT EXAMS THAT MEAN NOTHING ? WHY DO WE STRESS ABOUT OUR CARREERS OR MONEY OR EVEN WHERE WE'LL FIND OUR FOOD TOMMOROW? WHAT'S THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN? YOU'RE HOMELESS? HUNGRY? COLD? YOU DIIIEEE?? WE'RE CHRISTIAN PEOPLE AND WE ALL KNOW DEATH IS NOT THE END!

Today I really put this to action and I really truly did not stress about the Physics exam I have tomorrow, I said to God, from the depth of my heart- 'Let Your will be done'
When I came to study I actually GOT SOMETHING DONE. If I had been stressed I know that I wouldv'e wasted my day and spent my last few hours doing absolutely nothing... but I didnt. ii know that whatever happens just happens and I won't be upset with the outcome.

You're probably wondering why I'm writing all this.. no, I don't have a problem and I don't need your advice.. I want you to take mine.. DONT STRESS, GIVE YOUR TIME AND ENERGY TO WHAT REALLY MATTERS, YOUR ETERNAL LIFE, GOD WHO LOVED YOU AND GAVE HIS LIFE FOR YOU... DON'T GET CAUGHT UP IN THE WORLD,,, IT'LL GET YOU NOWHERE !
+God Bless.

Comments

• [glow=red,2,300]thats cool[/glow]
  • thats cool, thanks for sharing  :)
  • oops, by accident i went on my sioters account

the reply on top was from me egy
  • :) i Totally see what you're saying.
    freaky, the past few days, i have had finals...right?
    and for the first time..in my WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE..
    i didn't stress out, it was the most amazing feeling ever..
    idk...it just really meant a lot to me that i was able to put it
    all in God's hands :) i wish i could do that more often...
    sometimes i sit and think: why do we care so much about
    doing so great in school...and always having straight A's..
    what;s the worst that could happen...minimum wage at mcdonalds?
    no biggy, but then other times...i think about that...and i just freak out
    at these thoughts..it's very strange....okay i'm done ranting :)
  • I disagree with what you are saying..

I thought just like you before and I think thats why I did not study (opposite to you)

I actually now believe being successful at something is very much Gods will for our life and it is important for salvation..
    when we don't study and get good grades we do not give glory to God and I actually believe it is important to succeed for our salvation.. remember that guy who his his lords money in the ground? he was cast into outer darkness or he was tormented.. we have to find out our talents and develop them... also if you want to be a monk you have to have a university degree and also if you want to get married its good to have a good job so you can support your family and do something you like.

• [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I'm in agreement with mikeforjesus on this one.  Granted, we should never stress of things, but that does not me we should not do our best either.  God created us with a purpose, and He did not create us to be failures.  We live in the world, and it is our duty to make it a better place, whether it's doing well in school, in work, in dealing with others, what have you.  You cannot have the mentality that, 'School is keeping me away from focusing on God, so forget school, I'll focus only on God'.  That is wrong.  You can focus on God while in school.  You can glorify God through your studies, and give Him honour and praise while at work.  They are not mutually exclusive.  There are those who are called to a more ascetic lifestyle, but as mike has pointed out, they must first have succeeded in school and life in general before they enter the wilderness.  If they could not succeed in the world, what makes anyone think they will be able to succeed outside the world? 
  • Dear all,
    I think the discrepancies that we are facing now is that because Hizz_child put the message across wrongly. I think originally they were two separate discussions, not one. The first being what would happen if I don't do what I am supposed to do (which I know she didn't mean exactly), and the second being why should we stress ourselves out when we have a strong God to fall back on.
    Of course the first discussion that mikeforjesus interpreted as be lazy, and don't do what you are supposed to, is the wrong message that hizz_child didn't want to put across. Unfortunately, this is how it can be interpreted dear hizz_child. Yes, we have to care about our future, about success, and about work, but not the worldly things of earning more money, or what's the new fashion in? Jesus himself, studied, worked, and succeeded. Hizz_child even said it: she didn't worry, but she studied. That is the point that dear mikeforjesus didn't get, and said having the same thought, he/she let the whole lot go, and didn't study at all. So basically, it is the interpretation of the message, but I think all of us are happy to go with hizz_child's advice.
    God bless you all and mention me in your prayers
  • i agree hard.
    there no need to stress as long as u study , let t b n gods hand  and wot you sed

with the first part i asked my mum why she always wants me to study andd why all egyptians do that.
    she sed shes not sure why all egyptians, probaly same reason as her , but n egyptt everyone wished to go to overseas for a better life and cause money was always a problem in egypt for the family wen she was younger.

x
  • If found a verse that explains exactly what i meant,

"Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”(John 6:27)

I didn't mean don't study.. i meant don't stress. dont be a control freak, put it in His hands and He will let His will be done..