i pledge alligence to the flag--or do i?

egy
edited December 1969 in Random Issues
[center]this is A VERY RANDOM question but ill ask it anyways:

in school do any of you say or get up when i pledge alligence to the flag goes i dont bascially b/c i am too tired to get up

but this girl told me thati am disrespceting america and all of the soliders who died ibn the war....

should i stand up or this is a dumb quesztion and i should not csre about it at all

I want tpo read ur relpies thankss

pp4m

EgY[/center]

Comments

• [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Americans are notorious for their patriotism, and since you go to school there, it is no surprise that the pledge is recited everyday in the morning.  Should you stand up?  Yes.  Why?  Because it is a sign of respect.  You don't necessarily have to recite it audibly, but you live in the US, and should respect the rules of the school.  Remember what our Lord taught us, 'Render to Ceaser the things that are Ceaser's'.  That is to say, you should obey the laws/rules of the land you live in as long as they do not contradict the laws of God.  So again, yes you should stand when the pledge or national anthem is recited/played as a sign of respect for the country that you live in.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I just found another couple of verses for you to think about:

Therefore submit yourselves to every ordinance of man fo the Lord's sake, whether to the king as supreme, or to governors, as to those who are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and for the praise of those who do good.  For this is the will of God, that by doing good you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men -- as free, yet not using liberty as a cloak for vice, but as bondservants of God.  Honor all people.  Love the brotherhood.  Fear God.  Honor the king.
    -- 1Peter 2:13-17

Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities.  For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.  Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves.  For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil.  Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same.  For he is God's minister to you for good.  But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.  Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience sake.  For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God's ministers attending continually to this very thing.  Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor.
    -- Romans 13:1-7

• Dear Egy,

Yes you do, for the very good reasons that Κηφᾶς has given.

Our whole allegiance is given to Christ, but we have His warrant that we give the respect to Caesar that is his due; let us do that. It is only if and when the State demands we do something against our Faith that we should refuse.

There is, for example, in the UK, a law which requires providers of business services not to discriminate against others of grounds of race, gender or sexuality. Christians who run guest houses have protested that this law requires them to provide rooms for gay couples who wish to sleep together, which is against the Christian principles of the hoteliers; so the latter either have to break the law of go against their consciences. That is a real dilemma.

But on the issue you raise, I think it is only right and respectful that you do as the others do.

In Christ,

John
  • but why should i stand up for men who are fighting in irak for no reason? respect that they are fighting a war that shouldn't be ???
    that makes no sense...
    however maybe i missunderstood somethng...

p4m
  • Dear Αριψαλιν,

It really has nothing to do with Iraq at all. For Americans (as for some others) the flag is a symbol of patriotic pride and so standing for it is a sign of respect for the State and its institutions.

We all owe a debt of gratitude to those who have gone before us; for Americans this is one way of acknowledging it. In the Church we do so by praying for those who have reposed, and by asking for the intercession of the Saints. It all helps remind us of something that is important to Christians - that we are part of a community which includes those who have reposed as well as those still living this earthly life.

I hope that helps.

In Christ,

John
  • thanks everyone, but did I commit a sin becuaee i stopped standing up around from 2 years ago.

pp4m
    EgY
  • Dear Egy,

Not necessarily. There may have been an element of self-will and pride in deciding not to stand - but only you and the Lord know if that was the case.

It probably struck those with you as impolite, but no more than that.

If you acted as your conscience told you, you broke no Christian commandments; if you are at all worried, confess to your priest.

In Christ,

John
  • ok, thanks  for the reply ;D
  • You should pledge allegiance because those who don't are the same liberals that support gay marriage and the like. The only reason they don't stand up is to be one of the rebellious in class and not stand up because they "don't have to". Don't label yourself as one of them.

Putting all that aside, this country pays for your schooling, your health care (if you cant afford your own), feeds you (if you can't feed yourself), protects you, etc. and you won't stand up for the pledge? We came from Egypt for one reason, because life over there wasn't as good as here. If you're going to reap the benefits of this country, then love the country, don't be a leach.

Stand for the pledge.
  • in fact i dont know the meaning of that...i thank god that i am in europe and not in the us...there would be a lot that i dont understand...i didnt want to hurt anyone...

pp4m
  • [quote author=Mark423 link=topic=5375.msg72118#msg72118 date=1181226590]
    You should pledge allegiance because those who don't are the same liberals that support gay marriage and the like.

Personally I find it quite difficult to reconcile the actions of the American governments, not to mention the intensely individualistic consumerism that defines American culture, with my Christian faith.

As such, the American flag is not a symbol I would associate with Christian values and a high sense of morality.

To answer the original question - yes, you should pledge allegiance to the flag since our faith demands that we be loyal to our civil authorities provided this does not infringe upon our faith.

However, I can't say I agree with the assessment that if you're not a flag waving ultra-nationalist you support gay marriage and the murder of babies.
  • You should pledge allegiance because those who don't are the same liberals that support gay marriage and the like.

That would be a bad reason for pledging allegiance; some people who do not are surely merely misguided? Let's not judge everyone - we all stand in fear and trembling of a greater judgement.

He told us to render unto Caesar those things which are his; that's reason enough, I hope.

In Christ,

John
  • Hi egy,

Granted: I'm an ultra liberal American.  Standing for the flag is not a necessity, but it is a sign of respect.  Due to our nations variety of religions and view points, standing is no long mandatory because there are many who believe that that is a violation of their faith. 

On the other hand, there is a strong movement within America today that is strongly patriotic and nationalistic.  There are many Americans who believe unfortunately that if you don't support the country you're not a good American.

There are many sides to this issue, and this is something you should discuss with your family, your school councilors, and your church community.

Taylor
  • One more thing:

Remember Egy:

You live in the most powerful country in the world.  We are the largest economy, the largest consumer market, and the most religious country in the West.  We are the largest English speaking country and the 5th largest Spanish speaking country.  We are the largest Protestant country, the 3rd largest Catholic country and the largest Jewish country.  We are the third largest country in area, and the third largest country in population.

We have our faults, which are many, but we keep the world economy intact.  No where else in the world will you have the freedoms that are here.  You faith will be able to grow with out persecution and tyranny. 

May your faith journey be long and may it never end!!

Taylor

• we have free health care in Canada :D lol  sorry totally of topic hahah
  • In truth, Canada really has their act together compared to the US.  I love my Canadian friends!!  They seem to hold things in more objective light than us Americans.

Taylor
  • Dear Taylor,

Your love for your great country does you credit.

No country is without its dark sides, but the USA has been, and continues to be, a unique experiment in many races and religions coming together. It is, I think I am right in saying, the only country in the world where every variety of Orthodoxy is to be found - along with every other major religion in the world.

It is a special place, much misunderstood by those who know it only through the media. Having spent a year living near St. Louis, I was privileged to spend time in the mid-west - and a more God-fearing place it would be difficult to find - outside of Egypt - of course.

In Christ,

John
  • i fully agree u should i meen wen in church u stand up rite.  also if u meet someone very famous would u slouch.  not really so this is ur country.  u should be happy or it.  im sure god would want u to stand up. 
  • thanks everyone once again for ur repplies

mahareel i never really thought about it that way,

also if u meet someone very famous would u slouch.

i am proud of my country and i tried standing up by i only did it for two days, i am going to try harder from now on

pp4m

EgY