Baptism by A Bishop?

pp
edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Is it possible for a bishop to baptize anybody?

Comments

• [quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5396.msg71794#msg71794 date=1180903059]

Yes
  • yea they can i was baptized by Anba Moussa and i know anba Youssef baptized some kids from our church
  • It had better be, since I was baptised by Metropolitan Seraphim of Glastonbury!

The answer, of course, is that it is. Did someone say it wasn't?

In Christ,

John
  • our bishop here does a lot of baptism in the church...of course a bishop can baptize someone....
  • Of course they can, I mean I know someone who was baptized by the Pope "the head of the bishops"...
  • Thank you very much for all the responses, but I have one more question?

If you want to dress up as a deacon, how come the bishop doesn't bless the tonia?
  • He can bless it but he usually doesn't because the deacons and the priests must be there before the bishop to greet him with the appropriate him for the season. annual ekesmarout, 50 days ekhristos anesti
  • [quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5396.msg71794#msg71794 date=1180903059]

the original way, batism was done done by a bishop and not a priest. but do to the increasing number of believers, the priests started baptising.

[quote author=bballdude23 link=topic=5396.msg71820#msg71820 date=1180912094]
    If you want to dress up as a deacon, how come the bishop doesn't bless the tonia?

if he isn't present, the tonia is blessed by abouna. but if he is present, he have to bless the tonies or give premession to the priest to bless.
  • Thank you so much, Mina and jydeacon. I understand so much because of your explanations.
  • and my friend got baptised by the pope...so, in conclusion baptism can be done by priest/ bishop/ and pope---so far as i know of...
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

To avoid any confusion, the pope is a bishop.  He is just a bishop who has been appointed to be the head of an entire See instead of just a diocese.