What to do with an Orbana

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Ok so I was visting one of my family members who gave me an Orbana
but I had to go somehwere so I put it in the fridge and completely forgot about it
and when I came home (a copule of days later) I found it to have rotted. As I was throwing it out
I remembed what my mom used to make me do when I was a kid with the orban that went stale, which was
bring it to church, and give it to the like Orban Maker.....so I thought of doing that....but the whole Orbana was like completely rotted, so like would it be wrong if I just threw it out w/ the trash?

Comments

• Orbana's that are rotten are supposed to be burned so if you have a fireplace or know someone who does, that would be a good place to get rid of it
  • If it's an orbana from the hamal, the plate of the Lamb, it's supposed to be burned. if it's just the normal orban that wasn't prayed on, u can just through it in the trash.
  • Im just curious.. Instead of burnign Orbana, can we instead bury it in soil, or throw it out to sea?

Rabana maak,

Matt
  • interessting topic....i have the same problem...i have orbanas where i dont know if they are from hamal or not....answers?
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

If tradition says that the orban that was part of the hamal is to be burned, and you are not sure where the orban came from, then I think it would be best to burn it to be on the safe side.
  • It would be best if you could burn it; and perhaps even better not to forget it again? - Just a thought.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • [quote author=matt88 link=topic=5381.msg71612#msg71612 date=1180601370]
    Im just curious.. Instead of burnign Orbana, can we instead bury it in soil, or throw it out to sea?

Regarding the disposal of holy things, the practice is normally to burn them and THEN to dispose of the ashes in an appropriate place (burying it in a place where the soil won't be disturbed, scatter the ashes in the sea or a river). I don't think it's considered appropriate to simply bury something without first burning it.
  • That is my understanding. It must be disposed of with reverence.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • well yea, you have to burn it so the smoke could rise up to God, the same thing we do if we put anything in our mouth and spit it out or take it out ater communion ( 9 hours ), we burn it
  • well this actually came up on a retreat a while ago.

there were a few orbans that weren't eaten and then my priest said to just burn them in the fire place and some were and some weren't from the hamal so yea burn it either way and if you can gather the ashes respect them and bury them in an undisturbed place.