Catholic Beliefs

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Does anyone know of a website that compares the beliefs of different denominations of the Church? Coptic Orthodox and the Roman Catholic Church in particular?? IN DETAIL ??

I need a really in depth study of the differences in theology and teaching, etc.

I recently moved to a new school [Catholic] and I was completely unaware of what I was going to be up for. I'm not actually sure though that everything that I hear is actual teaching of the Roman Catholic Church or just the biased opinions of individuals... I really need a line drawn somewhere cause I'm getting no where but 'confuzzled' land.. HELP!

Comments

• Fr. Markos R. Hanna has written a brilliant study, Theological and Dogmatic differences between Orthodox and Catholics (2002), which your priest might be able to help you get hold of, or which might be available on the inter net.

It is a very good book and does just what you want.

The RC's hold that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and from the Son; we, like all Orthodox, hold that there is scriptural warrant only to say that He proceeds from the Father (John 15:26).

The RCs used to believe in Purgatory, which we hold to be unscriptural; I think they have recently decided to agree with us - which is great.

In the 19th century the RCs decided that St. Mary's conception was also immaculate and that she was born without sin; we say that this is not so; she was born as we were, but thanks to her humility to God's will she never sinned; but only Our Lord was born without sin.

The RCs also decided to make their Pope infallible on matters of Faith; we do not agree with this - nor with their view that he has a primacy in the Church.

These are some of the main differences, but see what you can find on Fr. Markos' website. I hope that helps a bit.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • [quote author=Anglian link=topic=5344.msg71183#msg71183 date=1179676373]
    The RCs used to believe in Purgatory, which we hold to be unscriptural; I think they have recently decided to agree with us - which is great.

Dear John,
    The RC no longer believes in purgatory?? I had no idea... where did you learn this information??
  • Dear Vassilios,

I checked up on what I had been told - and it might have been better to do it first, but sometimes you just accept things. It is, apparently, 'limbo' that they have decided not to believe in; yes, I know, go figure!

In Christ,

John

p.s. that'll teach me to accept what my Catholic friends say without checking - though to be fair to her, she says it's not her fault that I don't understand Catholicism and that if I did I'd convert! I told her she's too late and I've already converted to THE Church!

• I believe the reason for the change of heart was due to recent evangelical efforts in third world countries where infant mortality rates and still-born rates are really high. Due to the fact that those high death rates would mean that children would be sent to purgatory, thus discouraging people from becoming catholic, the idea of purgatory was simply taken out to fit their agenda.
  • [quote author=Anglian link=topic=5344.msg71183#msg71183 date=1179676373]
    Fr. Markos R. Hanna has written a brilliant study, Theological and Dogmatic differences between Orthodox and Catholics (2002), which your priest might be able to help you get hold of, or which might be available on the inter net.

Does anyone know if that book is on the internet ?
  • I can't find it on the net - but it can be ordered here for $4.00
    http://www.copticorthodoxliterature.com/cgi-bin/Bookstore.pl
    Hope that helps.

In Christ,

John
  • Yes, Thank you very much. ;D