Ticked off!

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
At school today i was talking to someone about religon cuz we were just talking about politics in history class so now we get into religon. He was saying that he was a (quaker). I didn't know what that was so i asked him. He said that it is some denomination in christianity. So i asked him what do you believe in. He said we don't believe in the bible, and we have no rules, laws, or priests. There are only 3 beliefs in our group,
(They don't have churches, they have meetings in parks!), always cause peace, support anti-war always, and jesus is god. THAT'S IT! So I asked him that since he was christian, how does his denomination not have beliefs, commandments, and rules. He says that we believe in Christ as god, but don't believe in the bible. He also says that everyoe believes w/e they want to. How does this work!!!! He also says that the bible is bad, it contradicts itself. I said, How so? He said that the one gospel says one thing and the other says the opposite. I asked him "show me one thing". He says that he's never read the bible because his parents read it, and they told him not to because they hated it. So I asked him, where did you get this info, he says my parents told me. These types of people get on my nerves!!!! How do I answer him? What's right?

PK

Comments

• The one thing i can tell you is this is the work of satan. Now don't get me wrong or anything im not saying that he is satan its this is one of the many ways satan tries to move your faith. There are 2 ways for you to do this
    1 you can talk to your priest and ask him how u should reply to your freind
    2 Unless you know the bible very well tell him about our faith tell him verses of the bible that support wat you r saying
    Just have faith In the Lord Jesus Christ that he will help you
    just remain in strong faith in Him

Pray For Me
  • i agree with ps_730 
    and i would just like to add on and say...pray for him.
    pray so God will be with him and guide him to the right path and read the bible and learn not to hate it.
    I'm not sure but this sounds like Jahova's Witnesses religion.
    I've heard alot about that religion and always learned to just either just ignore it and keep God with you always in your heart, talk to your FOC like ps_730 mentioned, or talk to this person more about God,heaven, and (etc.)
    GBU
  • my dear brohter,
    i live in a muslim country, and from expierience
    the best thing to do is to AVOID DISCUSSING RELIGON IN-DEPTH with these people
    for if they are so "ignorant of another faith" then they will not comprehend anything u explain to them" and instead they will probably insult our true faith and speak bad about nit, so instead of causin them to sin, just take the "escape route" because escaping is sometimes the best thing to do.

of course don't forget my brohter's opinions as in praying and asking abouna, for their opinons are clearly better than mine.

God Bless
  • yea, i agree with all of you guys...you shouldnt really talk into religion because also it makes you think and wonder what he says about the bible - about opposite things- so just Pray For Him is the key thing- What would Jesus do?
  • To be honest, I really kinda wanted everyone to help me w/ verses and stuff, and think of explanations and ideas on how it's not possible to believe in Jesus and not in the bible.

PK
  • Dear PopeKyrillos,

I am not certain that the person you are talking to actually understands his own denomination, let alone our Church. The Quakers are a Protestant sect which originated in seventeenth century England. They believe in the ministry of all believers and have no sacraments or priests; they are essentially a fundamental Protestant sect which reacted against the Church of England by rejecting anything that seemed sacramental; but they do read the Bible, and if your friend is relying on his parents and not reading it himself, then he is not really in a position to say very much either way.

Protestants generally have little experience of the Orthodox Church; they are rarely strong where it is, and vice-versa. How do you answer him? First, as has been suggested, conversations along the lines of the one you mentioned rarely have good outcomes; he doesn't know enough to speak freely and with knowledge, and you feel on the defensive; but don't be. Our Church is the one Church which Jesus Christ gave to the Apostles; we trace everything we do and say back to the Apostles and to Christ Himself. The Bible itself is the product of the early Church, and we are the modern descendant of that Church, and we hold everything it has always held. You can tell him that we rely upon two thousand years of wisdom and Christian teaching based upon what Christ told His Holy Apostles, on what they told the Church Fathers, and upon what the Fathers tell us. He can, if he likes, rely on what a few men decided to believe in their own pride; but it is, at best, a very limited and partial understanding.

In Orthodoxy lies the fulness of the Faith. The point of the Christian life is to be remade in the image of God, as we were made to be; that salvation comes only through receiving Him in us, so that we may be one in Him. For that we need the saving Grace that comes with the Sacraments and through His redeeming love; for that we need the help and guidance of the Church; for that we need to do works in His name. At best, the Quakers can do only the last. That is not to say they will not be saved - only God Himself knows who will and will not be saved, and it is a great blasphemy for any human to pretend to know that mystery.

We are all spiritually sick. The Church is the best hospital in which to be cured; its bishops and priests offer the best spiritual medicine and the best care possible. Other hospitals exist, and may do good things - but most of us prefer to be in the hospital which has been offering the best care for the longest time, and with the best founder. He should read some of Pope Shenouda's works, and he should talk to some Orthodox people who can tell him why it is that he should consider not cutting himself off from this care.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • i wouls personally not talk to him about it b/c he might curse you or something. I hate talking to ppl about religion b/c i
    always tell them the truth ansd then they get mad at me, i would just pray for him and just make believe the conversation never happened, you know the truth and maybe some day he will know it too.

hope i helped

plz pray for me

EgY