commandements and sin

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hi everyone,
i just wanted to get some feedback on waht everyone thought on the following.
at a meeting some youths asked the following questions and so i wonder waht everyone here thinks, and how would u answer this.these are not the exact words of i write as best i can recall

1. "Abuana please tell me why does/would a person knowing sin and its death waht ever form it may be of RETURN to and not forsake it to be wit GOD instead. waht is it(or are the things) that blinds such a person that he returns to his sin and then falls in weakness and then sighs in failure?

2. "Abuana please tell me how can i love God in other words obey his commadments such that it is not obedience to a law but obedience and steadfastness in the opposite of this.  i do not know what we call this but one thing i am sure of the saints followed this and such was their thier sucess and closeness to God. (st Paul talks about this in romans)

(this conserns the heart and those (obedience) that are not seen by any except God i.e. obedience to commandment of God in the heart and unseen not obedience to GOD in things like coming to church and all the good things these are ok and we do these  but this qestion is refering deeper than that. as i understood it i think )

so how would u answer this many answers were given and futher elaborated on but i wanna see what everyone here can comeup wit...thanks everyone and please pray for my weak self

Comments

• Dear Karas7,

My prayers are with you, and with those whose questions you are answering.

It seems to me that it is our human nature weakened by sin which leads to our continuing to sin, even though we know what the consequences are; those consequences seem distant to us, the rewards of sin are immediate; we do not see things in their proper perspective. That is why we need the Church and its sacraments and its teaching; only by having Christ in us, and by walking in His way, and by prayer, can we hope to transcend the effects of sin. Like yourself, I would be most interested to read the views of others here.

The second question likewise asks how we can transform our weakened nature to be one with His will, for in obedience to that will is true freedom: through prayer, through ascesis of all kinds (fasting, control of our human appetites of all kinds), and through the reception of His body and blood in the Eucharist. When we see that we are responding to His love for us, only then can we see that it is our love for Him, and not the law, which compels our willing obedience to His will.

But let us see what others here have to say.

In Christ,

Anglian

• [quote author=karas7 link=topic=5298.msg70762#msg70762 date=1178672816]
    hi everyone,
    i just wanted to get some feedback on waht everyone thought on the following.
    at a meeting some youths asked the following questions and so i wonder waht everyone here thinks, and how would u answer this.these are not the exact words of i write as best i can recall

1. "Abuana please tell me why does/would a person knowing sin and its death waht ever form it may be of RETURN to and not forsake it to be wit GOD instead. waht is it(or are the things) that blinds such a person that he returns to his sin and then falls in weakness and then sighs in failure?

2. "Abuana please tell me how can i love God in other words obey his commadments such that it is not obedience to a law but obedience and steadfastness in the opposite of this.  i do not know what we call this but one thing i am sure of the saints followed this and such was their thier sucess and closeness to God. (st Paul talks about this in romans)

(this conserns the heart and those (obedience) that are not seen by any except God i.e. obedience to commandment of God in the heart and unseen not obedience to GOD in things like coming to church and all the good things these are ok and we do these  but this qestion is refering deeper than that. as i understood it i think )

so how would u answer this many answers were given and futher elaborated on but i wanna see what everyone here can comeup wit...thanks everyone and please pray for my weak self

Well, I'd answer the question(s) as follows:

To even stop sinning or live a pure life, you cannot do it alone. You have to call upon the Lord to even help u, as being a christian a life of struggling begins. If you are not struggling for seadfastness, then there is a problem. The reason is simple:

When we were baptised, we declared a war against Satan and all his angels. We testified allegiance to Christ during our baptism. From that day, a war starts. The devil is against us, and we are against him. So, we will have tribulation and temptation from him, but struggling not to sin is quite noble. The day u give up struggling is when you say to the devil :"You've won". The fact that u are struggling in whatever temptation to overcome means that the devil has not succeeded in destroying your love for Christ.

So, why do we return to sin? I think the reason for everyone is different,but to consistently raise yourself is a testament that
    a) You believe that Christ's love for you is greater than your sin, so u rise from it KNOWING that He is forgiving and loving towards you
    b) You admit that the state you are in is unholy, and you try to overcome it for the sake of God.

But its best to pray for help. During our baptism, the Church tells us, we are "clothed" in Christ. As if we "wear" Christ when we are baptised. This is also our shield against the devil. He usually uses this shield against us to make us live in our sin by telling us: "How can you being clothed in Christ, commit this sin... just give up and submit to the desires of your heart". Christ is aware that you will have temptation, but you need to call on Him for assistance actually rather than depend on your own good nature in overcoming anything evil: whether it be tempation from the devil, or hatred, or anger , or anything that's unholy.

Don't depend on yourself at all to overcome a sin, NOR your own good intention in overcoming any sin... this is not wise. You should see sin as an illness, and Christ as a kind doctor who is not looking for your detriment and punishment, but He is eager for your cure from this situation. We don't dare sometimes to consider Christ as a doctor/physician who can heal us from our sin; we consider Him often as our Judge, our Saviour also. His is our Creator, and its for this reason that we should appeal to Him , revealing our illnesses in the hope of a cure. If we do not , it means that either we are content with our state of illness, or we are content with our power to overcome any sin (which ever reason, it is not the Holy Spirit leading you as both result in compounding the sin and its effects on you).