question about the qu'ran in arabic

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hello you guys,

i am a Catholic, I'm white, i'm American, and yeah.. not an arab, not a Copt.. but i do love the Coptic Church!!

now i have been doing some research on islam, and have heard two different things..

1. the qu'ran has its own unique arabic style, that isn't saj', or any of that.. is that true?

2. no one can produce anything like the qu'ran, and they have tried but failed for thousands of years. is that true?

3. the style of the hadiths is much different then the qu'ran.. is that true, and if so, what do you guys think of it? like how did mohammad did that?

Comments

• hey kyle,

Im so happy that u like the coptic church! and welcome to this site!
    the qu'ran does not make any sense at all. I never read it b4 but my parents told me that it i  all about sex etc.
    also, the reason why it is not in english is because no one is going to understand it

i dont know if i right, but i think mohammed made thew whole thing up. he had 40 wifes and he hated christians, that why it says in the qu'ran that if a muslim person kills a christian person, they he'she will go to heaven and their god will give them 40 women to sleep with

the only reason y none can copy it is b/c they dont understand it

hope i answered ur question [correctly..lol]

EgY
  • [quote author=Kyle link=topic=5300.msg70765#msg70765 date=1178676966]
    hello you guys,

i am a Catholic, I'm white, i'm American, and yeah.. not an arab, not a Copt.. but i do love the Coptic Church!!

now i have been doing some research on islam, and have heard two different things..

1. the qu'ran has its own unique arabic style, that isn't saj', or any of that.. is that true?

2. no one can produce anything like the qu'ran, and they have tried but failed for thousands of years. is that true?

3. the style of the hadiths is much different then the qu'ran.. is that true, and if so, what do you guys think of it? like how did mohammad did that?

i don't wanna brag much about what i dono but the quor'n is written in 2 parts. first was i think called 'Madeneia' and the 2nd is called 'Makeia'. just diffrent place where it was written, 1 in Maka and one in Maddena. now half of the quran speaks about general good things about all 3 religions, Christianty Islam and Judism. the other half is against that first half.  also Mohamad was led by an excommunicated monk of the church who strengthened him and who helped him be the 'prophet' he is. that's why you see many parts of the quran about Jesus and the Mother of Jesus, St. Mary,  (Mariem as in the quran). and one reason the monk always said mother of Jesus is that he didn't belive in the Theotokos, for he was one who follwed Nastor, and that's why he was excommunicated from the church.

here is a great documentry that shows a little of Islam:
    http://www.veoh.com/videos/v235662e4SSDqkr

As far as I'm aware, this is true, though it would be wrong to completely dissasociate it from other styles of Arabic poetry, which clearly influenced its writing.

This is claimed only in the Qur'an. It's a claim that's pretty hard to prove or disprove, since it is not clear what it means. Does it mean produce something more beautiful or articulate in terms of poetry? In that case I would say the Qur'an has been surpassed many times.

Or is it a reference to the message of the Qur'an, in which case, again, many works have been produced that surpass it in almost every way.

3. the style of the hadiths is much different then the qu'ran.. is that true,

I don't know if the hadith have any one particular style. They are just a collection of sayings and doings of Muhammad, dating from various times in history. But yes, they differ from the Qur'an.

and if so, what do you guys think of it? like how did mohammad did that?

When looking at the literary style of the Qur'an, it is very impressive, and whoever wrote it was clearly a very skilled poet, with a good command of the Arabic language.

However, this does not in any way, as Muslims often claim, point towards any kind of divine origin.

The divine origins of the Qur'an can be easily dismissed based on its gross distortion of the Truth handed down to us by Christ and His Apostles, that many of the stories and doctrines in the Qur'an find their origins in gnostic apocryphal books, countless absurdities, etc.

Just three simple examples from classic roman and greek writers ;)

Homer (homerus)
    Vergil (Vergilius)
    Ovid (Ovidius)
  • my brohters,

i have a 20 page essay titled "islam unveiled" explaining the reasons why the Quaran isnt' what it seems, or in other words it basically proves its falsehood.

I'd be more than glad to send it to anyone, who wants it.

The author is unknown, and its place of orgin is a website, that i unfortuantley forgot to save, sorry :/

God Bless
  • Kyle,

1) The Quran, linguistically speaking, violates many of the Arabic language rules. So it is hard to say that it has its own unique style, because it barely has any... (it is not even all in Arabic, it has words from like 27 other languages; not exadurating)

2) The Quran claims that nothing better can be written. Aside from the above mentioned examples, Dr. Taha Hessien (he was the secretary of education and has his Ph.D. from France I believe in the 1940's) wrote a book saying 2 things:
        a) The quran took texts that predated it and claimed it as its own from pre-islam Poets
        b) Linguistically speaking, better books have been written and he can write an even better book

3) Hadiths are recollections of things Mohammed said or did, as it is mentioned above. Very RARELY are they passed down from 1 person. It usually starts by saying, "This person said, that this person said, that ....." etc... so they are VERY distorted accounts and not direct quotes.  There are over 174,000 Hadiths on record, but they only consider about 6,000 of them to be Authentic.  Even now, they are revising those 6,000 and reevaluating them saying that they may not be as authentic as they thought they were originally.

By nature of the Hadiths, they are stories about things Mohammed said or did.  The quran is more about things that were told to Mohammed, so they have two different styles from the nature of their content.  While the quran was passed down verbally as well before it was written years later, Muslims argue that Arabs have a talent that lets them memorize poems.  Since the quran was passed down in the form of poems, it was memorized because of its importance.

Hope this answers your questions.
  • thanks all for the response.

now Coptic_boy - why do muslims constantly claim that the quran is beautiful and can't be produced with something similar?

like i have heard muslims constantly say how beautiful the quran is.. and so i went to allexperts, and asked this egyptian christian, and he even said it was beautiful.. ugh!! so like why do muslims claim that if it isn't?

and is it true that many verses in the quran make no sense?
  • [quote author=Kyle link=topic=5300.msg70830#msg70830 date=1178857477]
    and is it true that many verses in the quran make no sense?

"They will ask thee of Dhu'l-Qarneyn. Say: I shall recite unto you a remembrance of him.
    And he followed a road
    Till, when he reached the setting-place of the sun, he found it setting in a muddy spring, and found a people thereabout. We said: O Dhu'l-Qarneyn! Either punish or show them kindness." - 18:84-86

Does this make any sense to you?? The sun setting in a muddy spring that had a people living next to it??