Speak up ?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I attend a Christian school and it it compulsory for me to do a 'Studies of Religion' Course. I was actually looking forward to this subject, that is, until I met my teacher. Right now we're doing a unit on Christianity and he doesn't give us facts to learn or teachings of the church.. but simply his own oppinion and things that he makes up on the spot. For example he's always talking about the validity of the Gospels [that they may have been exhadurated so they would seem more interesting] and that Mary and Elizabeth were cousins...

I complained about this teacher at the beginning of the course and there was dramatic change in his attitude but now it's like nothing ever happened.
He's teaching a whole class of students who believe every word that comes out of his mouth. He's giving us wrong information, what can I do?

Should I correct him?

& Also, a lot of religious discussions come up amongst students.. should I partake??

Comments

• [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5213.msg69836#msg69836 date=1176734683]
    I attend a Christian school and it it compulsory for me to do a 'Studies of Religion' Course. I was actually looking forward to this subject, that is, until I met my teacher. Right now we're doing a unit on Christianity and he doesn't give us facts to learn or teachings of the church.. but simply his own oppinion and things that he makes up on the spot. For example he's always talking about the validity of the Gospels [that they may have been exhadurated so they would seem more interesting] and that Mary and Elizabeth were cousins...

I complained about this teacher at the beginning of the course and there was dramatic change in his attitude but now it's like nothing ever happened.
    He's teaching a whole class of students who believe every word that comes out of his mouth. He's giving us wrong information, what can I do?

Should I correct him?

& Also, a lot of religious discussions come up amongst students.. should I partake??

let me guess, this is a catholic school. if yes or no, it depends on you to correct him or not. i would somtimes but am sure he'll be ready to answer back. ya3ny i would say correct him if you are ready for him correcting you with what you saying. cuz am sure he'll have somekind of believable reason for what he says to the student in the class.
  • [coptic]+ Pi`<rictoc aftonf>[/coptic]

[quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5213.msg69836#msg69836 date=1176734683]

Should I correct him?

This is inevitable.  You will always find teachers who feel that they are the authority on matters and thus use the classroom as their soapbox to rant about whatever they can.  If you want to discuss it with you teacher, make sure you have sources to back up your arguments so that way not only your teacher, but your classmates can also read up on a particular subject matter.  As for Mary and Elizabeth being cousins, I had always thought that was the case.

If you are comfortable enough taking part in the discussion, then by all means do so. 
  • Hi,
    I think that Saint Mary and Elisabeth were cousins by the way. I mean, John the Baptist was related to our Lord.

As for the gospels being "Exagerated" - that's awful. He has no right to say that. Ask him for the proof. If its his particular opinion, then its simple: tell him that if he says anything that's part of his opinion, then any well respected examination board will require references. If he says that's exaggerated, then what references/proofs does he have?

I went to an RC school, and the teachers there were teaching us we all came from apes. i didnt disagree because they all acted like monkeys anyway.

Should I correct him?

• You should definitely correct the teacher, but in a respectful manner.  Maybe you could even correct him in the form of questions, rather than saying outright that he is wrong.

About the religious discussions, make sure that you are solid in your faith before you partake in them.
  • i dont necessarily think its about correcting him, i doubt a teacher would appreciate a student correcting them with their "wealth of knowledge and extensive experience" lol, but more to create awareness or to increase his understanding, so instead of saying your wrong, maybe like i wasnt aware of that sir my understanding was this.............i also think you need to be certain in what your saying, you too dont want to be flowing based on opinion...........participate in discussion, when n if you feel confident, even if your wrong and someone insights you, uve learnt something, but simply observing is a learning experience.....but sometimes its hard restraining your self listening to all the mumbo jumbo circulating within the room

God bless n take care
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5213.msg69848#msg69848 date=1176737661]
    [coptic]+ Pi`<rictoc aftonf>[/coptic]

Should I correct him?

This is inevitable.  You will always find teachers who feel that they are the authority on matters and thus use the classroom as their soapbox to rant about whatever they can.  If you want to discuss it with you teacher, make sure you have sources to back up your arguments so that way not only your teacher, but your classmates can also read up on a particular subject matter.  As for Mary and Elizabeth being cousins, I had always thought that was the case.

oops sorry I meant sisters.. but they weren't cousins, in the Bible only says that they were related.. they were from different tribes...

Luke 1:36
    "Now indeed, Elizabeth your relative has also conceived a son in her old age; and this is now the sixth month for her who was called barren."

Are you sure they were from different tribes?  Zachariah was a Levite, that's certain, because he was a priest.  But we don't know from what tribe Elizabeth is from.  Because she and Mary were relatives, it is possible they were from the same tribe and could very well be cousins.  I guess it's just tradition that says they were cousins. 
  • I am confident, he has no proof for anything. One time he was saying that Adam and Eve were only a legend because Cain and Abel had no sisters.. therefore couldn't multiply. I simply said that they did have sisters.. and that shut him up. He doesn't know his stuff... he just pretends he does and because no one else knows any better he gets away with it...

Well if the most obvious thing to do is to confront them, why am I always told I sould avoid such conversation ?
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5213.msg69951#msg69951 date=1176781620]

Are you sure they were from different tribes?  Zachariah was a Levite, that's certain, because he was a priest.  But we don't know from what tribe Elizabeth is from.  Because she and Mary were relatives, it is possible they were from the same tribe and could very well be cousins.  I guess it's just tradition that says they were cousins. 

Nope St Mary was from the tribe of Judah:

Matthew 1
    1 The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the Son of Abraham:
    2 Abraham begot Isaac, Isaac begot Jacob, and Jacob begot Judah and his brothers. 3 Judah begot Perez and Zerah by Tamar, Perez begot Hezron, and Hezron begot Ram....

You're right.  I just looked it up.  As you say, Mary was from the Tribe of Judah.  Elizabeth was a daughter of Aaron (see Luke 1:5), making her of the Levite Tribe I guess.  My bad.  ;D
  • LOL no worries.. I didn't really look into it either.. till my teacher said it..
    Perhaps it's not so bad to have him as a teacher. :P
  • Dear hizz_child,
    If you can approach your teacher in this manner, I think you will resolve many problems. Always ask him to give references, or just say if it was his personal opinion when giving any piece of information. Politely, respectfully, and without any fighting demeanour. The second, equally important thing, is to pray to the Holy Spirit that He set the other children's minds right, and never sway them from the proper and straight faith that we have in the church, as these discussions may lead them away in a way or another. Also, try to get into their discussions, and try to correct the leftover mistakes made by your teacher, proving to them by strong proofs, and not only your "personal opinion" again. After all, the Holy Spirit will help you through this, however long it may take, or your teacher stays.
    God bless you and mention me in your prayers
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5213.msg69954#msg69954 date=1176782519]
    [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5213.msg69951#msg69951 date=1176781620]

Nope St Mary was from the tribe of Judah:

Matthew 1
    1 The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the Son of Abraham:
    2 Abraham begot Isaac, Isaac begot Jacob, and Jacob begot Judah and his brothers. 3 Judah begot Perez and Zerah by Tamar, Perez begot Hezron, and Hezron begot Ram....

That genealogy is Joseph's.  Joseph was of the tribe of Judah.
    "And Jacob begot Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus who is called Christ."  (Matthew 1:16)
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5213.msg69952#msg69952 date=1176781840]
    I am confident, he has no proof for anything. One time he was saying that Adam and Eve were only a legend because Cain and Abel had no sisters.. therefore couldn't multiply. I simply said that they did have sisters.. and that shut him up. He doesn't know his stuff... he just pretends he does and because no one else knows any better he gets away with it...

Well if the most obvious thing to do is to confront them, why am I always told I sould avoid such conversation ?

We are told to avoid these conversations for two reasons:  Firstly, sometimes the people who say such ignorance can be thick-headed or close-minded and not willing to learn or be corrected, so a conversation with them will only result in frustration.  Secondly, at the high school age, we may not be solidly founded in our knowledge of our religion, or faith and participation in these conversations may just result in our faith being shaken, so we are told that it is better to stay away from them.
    If you are confident though, I think that you should pray and go for it. ;)  Don't let the other students in your class think that this wrong information is right.  Don't let it spread.
  • Thanks Gods Kid and everyone else. I will make my voice heard where I feel necessary, but more than that, I'll pray for him and all my class so we can avoid those situations in the first place..