i have question regarding wearing styles of ladies

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues

In my country Ethiopia, our church prohibit ladies to wear trousers (any type). is there similar trend in coptic?
eventhough, it is prohibited most of the ladies wear trousers, only few wear skirts.
please tell me the trend of coptic church.

Comments

• [coptic]+ Pi`<rictoc aftonf>[/coptic]

In the Coptic church, there are no such restrictions.  Women can wear trousers, skirts or dresses.  Of course, the length of the dresses and/or skirts should be appropriate, but other than that, there are no restrictions on what women can wear.
  • the only requirement that the chrch obviously want everyone to follow is for women to not look like 'men' with their style of clothing. there is a vere in the bible that i am unfortunately unable to locate that state that women are unable to wear the clothing (thus look like men) like that of men.

i know that some religons in christianity take this verse literarly and thus discourage that women wear trousers. (i know that the greek orthodox do)

i have had a sunday school teacher who had the same view as your church and pretty much INSISTED that no girl come to church in pants, becuase of the contriversy this cuased throughout the teeneage girl, it was taken up before abouna and to what we should belive.
    abouna reassured us that this verse should not be taken literally, but should be taken that our minset is that we donot dress like men

+WHY+
  • thank u very much for ur response
    what is problem here in our church is that they literaly take the one mentioned on the bible and forbid ladies to wear trousers. in now days many girls prefere wearing trousers than wearing scirts and really many of girls are discouraged. especially peoples who dont wear trousers, they really discourage those girls who wears trouser. unless those which r confident or just reasonable, they even fear to get into church. some of our people see wearing trouser as great sin and as those ladies are rude and bad. there is really great variation in perception abt it. they even see those ladies who wear  only  scirt as great spritual women, but what it was supposed to was actually by her spritual maturity.

i remember one event when i was in univeresity, one girl from sunday school she was active participant, one of the guy told her not to wear trouser, then immediately she stoped coming to the sunday school and evry spritual activity. finally she was not in good condition, other brothers tried to advise her but she was not willing to come back.

please again give me ur ideas and experinces if i can bring change.

LET GOD HELP US!
  • Selam Tifshet,
    i used to wear only skirt when i was in ethiopia as wel.because all the good preachers there teach not to wear tousers.because trousers expose the body more.
    But after i came to Uk i couldn't wear skirts all the time except when i go to sunday mass.At first i couldn't adapt to this but where i am the weather is totaly different from that of back home so i had to wear trousers and my father of confession told me it's totally okay.
    so what i am trying to say is,it depends on the person.if you feel it's wrong don't do it but if you are okay with it wear what ever you want.

However there is one important thing that we shouldn't forget.Sometimes we do things for people as St.Paul said "if eating meat misleads my brother i will never eat meat forever". So what i am trying to emphasis here is if you think you are misleading other sisters(the ones who think it's wrong to wear trouser),then don't do it if it's possible for you.
    If you see my case i'm in a country where people don't see what you are wearing so whether i wear trouser or skirt it doesn't really matter.but if i were living in ethiopia,i would wear skirt or dress instead of trouser.

hope i helped,
    pray for me.
  • habesha and tifshet, selam . Enkuan le'dagmawi tensae aderesachu.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing trousers at all. I think it all depends on the purpose, meaning if you are wearing that clothe, whether a trouser or dress, in order to show of your body, then it's wrong because others will fall into the sin of lust.  Other than that there is nothing wrong with wearing trousers. 

• Dear habesha and tifshet,

There is much good sense in what has been said.

There will always be people who set themselves up a judges of what others should wear; they should, perhaps, remember that we are told in Acts 15 not to make the 'yoke' too heavy. It is no-one's job to discourage others from coming to Church.

What is required is that we should, all of us, dress with modesty and respect for God in His house. How would you dress if you were going to see your grandfather or your priest? You wouldn't turn up in shorts and a t-shirt; nor should you turn up to worship God in a way that might imply disrespect.

Some men (and it is usually men, alas) get very worked up about skirts versus trousers. Sure, if ladies turn up in skin-tight jeans that isn't showing respect to anyone; but the same could be said if they turned up in short skirts. Most women know, instinctively, what to wear to Church - something comfortable yet modest. The same goes, by the way, for men - their dress should be equally respectful.

Things will vary from culture to culture, and so it is impossible to set absolute rules for all times and all places. But a little common sense - and advice from your priest if necessary, will usually put you right.

In Christ,

John
  • Dear tifsehit,
    I think John aka Anglian smmed it all up. That is it. I will add another point (which I hope I am not adding to your concerns). Here in the Coptic Orthodox Church in England, the young don't really show respect for the church, and priests don't really pose any restrictions, just because they think that if they do so, the will put the youth off attending church altogether. I don't really approve of that concept. I would rather be a follower in your church, than mine based on that point alone. I think it is also what habesha said. "If eating meat will stumble my brother, I won't eat meat". Likewise, if people left churches because they thought they liked doing what they wanted to do, I wouldn't think that was all right. Look at yourself, you still go to church preferring to obey the rules with skirts, rather than wearing trousers and out of your church. My bottom line is try to convince others to follow church rules. It is always decent and nice, and shows oneness and unison in thought and deed.
    God bless you and mention me in your prayers
  • +++
    hellow brothers and sisters
    thanks for ur nice advises, it has really helped me
    thanks
  • [quote author=Tifsehit link=topic=5204.msg71104#msg71104 date=1179559303]
    +++
    hellow brothers and sisters
    thanks for ur nice advises, it has really helped me
    thanks

I believe that women can wear whatever they want. However, once in the house of God, they should cover their hair, and wear modestly.

I personally HATE with all my might the following which look really silly.
    a) seeing women wearing jeans with their underwear coming out of their jeans.
    b) seeing women wearing a t-shirt that doesnt cover their wastes, and their bellies coming out.
    c) Long boots with small skirts.
    d) Long skirts with long boots,

If u are interested in the full list, email me.
  • d) Long skirts with long boots,

I dont quite get that one? If the skirt is long... doesnt that mean you wont see the long boots?

Anyway I totally agree... I hate the trend where pants are now lower than they should be and really loose around the hips... this means that reaching up or bending down or any other sort of that kind of movement will reveal what is underneath.

So please make sure you wear your clothes in modesty so that you do not cause your brothers or sisters to fall into temptation.

PS: And yes this does apply to Guys as well who like to show off their boxers.
  • There is a way to dress for each event, and i cannot talk about what girls should wear outside church, yet inside church, we all agree, for both MEN and women, there should be a sign/spirit of respect in how we dress when we enter the house of God.

Concerning boots and skirts: Egyptian girls do this often, and i don't like it: Long skirts and long boots. If the skirt is too long, and it covers the boots, than that's really bad, if the skirt is long and the boots are long that they reach the seam of the skirt, then this looks so bad - whether in public or in Church.

Anyway, im not the fashion police. Its just something i was hoping we don't see in the west. I understand if girls dress like that in Egypt, but its a sad day when they come to France and do the same.

[quote author=billious link=topic=5204.msg71145#msg71145 date=1179642784]

d) Long skirts with long boots,

I dont quite get that one? If the skirt is long... doesnt that mean you wont see the long boots?

Anyway I totally agree... I hate the trend where pants are now lower than they should be and really loose around the hips... this means that reaching up or bending down or any other sort of that kind of movement will reveal what is underneath.

So please make sure you wear your clothes in modesty so that you do not cause your brothers or sisters to fall into temptation.

PS: And yes this does apply to Guys as well who like to show off their boxers.