Communism in the Bible

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Acts 2:32-36

32 Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul; neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common. 33 And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all. 34 Nor was there anyone among them who lacked; for all who were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of the things that were sold, 35 and laid them at the apostles’ feet; and they distributed to each as anyone had need.
36 And Joses, who was also named Barnabas by the apostles (which is translated Son of Encouragement), a Levite of the country of Cyprus, 37 having land, sold it, and brought the money and laid it at the apostles’ feet.

Is this somehow a biblical justification of Communism, and could these verses be rightly used to prove that the bible "prefers" communism?

Comments

• [quote author=EpNomos EnTaio link=topic=5148.msg69145#msg69145 date=1175056710]
    Acts 2:32-36

32 Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul; neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common. 33 And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all. 34 Nor was there anyone among them who lacked; for all who were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of the things that were sold, 35 and laid them at the apostles’ feet; and they distributed to each as anyone had need.
    36 And Joses, who was also named Barnabas by the apostles (which is translated Son of Encouragement), a Levite of the country of Cyprus, 37 having land, sold it, and brought the money and laid it at the apostles’ feet.

Is this somehow a biblical justification of Communism, and could these verses be rightly used to prove that the bible "prefers" communism?

i don't see the connection between this and communism. First the apostles never forced anyone to do that. Selling all what they owned showed their ultimate faith and love for Christ.

Also Christ Himself said it's harded for a rich man to get into the kingdom of heaven, in Matthew 19:23 ("Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.")

another thing is that in communism, the leader bascily controls the person in every way. But Christ gives us full free will even thoo He created us.......also if we choose Him in this case, He gave us many ways to get to Him as it says in Habakkuk 3:6 ("...And the everlasting mountains were scattered, The perpetual hills bowed. His ways are everlasting.")
  • Epnomos,

Very interesting observation.  However, there are a few differences between the two.

1) What was done during the time of the apostles was voluntary.  They didn't tell the land owners to do it.  It was out of thier LOVE that they sold thier possesions and gave the money to the apostles. So the main difference is the motive behind the process.

2) The process was done in a spiritual atmosphere.

3) This was done in order to help the needy not enrich the government and those controlling the economy.

4) There was no political agenda in the Bible.

These are just some of the differences.  The church promotes Giving and charity.  Our Lord Jesus Christ said in Matthew 25: "in asmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My Brethren, you did it to Me" The church does not necessarly promote social justice (everyone has enough for his/her needs).  The church does not concern herself with politics.

Hope this helps.

• Dear Epnomos,

On a surface reading there might appear some similarities, although as the previous posters have pointed out, they are only superficial.

There are enormous differences between modern Communism and Christianity.

The first is that Marxism is a materialist philosophy stemming from the ideas of the secular European Enlightenment. It sees man as the measure of all things; it sees him as intrinsically good; and it sees that there is nothing beyond this world. Its idea of equality is a secular and political one, and its aim is to produce a society which is perfect in this world, because this world is all there is.

It knows nothing of salvation or the Risen Lord; it knows nothing of the Sacraments; it denies the body and blood of Our Lord; indeed it denies Him. It seeks to compel its followers to do that which it thinks right, and it seeks to control the thinking and speech of its society.

The Church, as Coptic Boy so rightly says, knows nothing of social justice, since it is concerned with us as children of God. We are called to service to each other, and support each other in love and charity, because when we do that to the least amongst us, we do it to Him.

What the Apostles practised was Christian love; that is what we are called to do. Communism is a materialist doctrine; Christianity preaches the Risen Lord; one is the Good News; the other has tended to be very bad news, not least for Christians.

In Christ,

John
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5148.msg69163#msg69163 date=1175108256]
    Also Christ Himself said it's harded for a rich man to get into the kingdom of heaven, in Matthew 19:23 ("Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.")

I don't see how this proves your point.

[quote author=minagir link=topic=5148.msg69163#msg69163 date=1175108256]
    another thing is that in communism, the leader bascily controls the person in every way.

I believe that's totalitarianism.

Coptic Boy,

I agree with what you said, especially about political agendas not being included in the bible, but I was looking at this from a different angle. I realize that Communism as a form of government is the last stage of a violent social revolution led by the proletariat, which holds the means of production. This is very political and is in no way alluded to in the bible. However, Communism as a utopian ideal -in this case devoid of its political baggage- is not very foreign in the religious realm.
    Some examples of religious organizations who held this belief include the Jewish Essenes, who were in existence during the time of Christ, and, to some degree, the Franciscans, as well the Anabaptists of the 17th century.
    Other, far less acceptable sources of this idea are the Manichaeans and the Gnostics.

I guess my question would be: is this excerpt of the bible favoring a communal system or simply retelling a story?

Anglican,

I was not referring -and I apologize for not making it clear- to Marxist Communism. I was alluding to the type mentioned above as seen in feudal times and later on in Sir Thomas More's Utopia, which he wrote in reference to the economic realities of pre-Industrial-Revolution England. 
    Also, since the converts were practicing Christian love and charity by revoking all private ownership, is this a sign that the bible "prefers" this way of life?
  • Dear EpNomos,

Many thanks for the clarification, and I can see more clearly now what you are aiming at.

The Church has tended to see the model described in the Gospels as an ideal, and one which religious communities adhere to; its suitability for the rest of us is as debatable as the notion of universal chastity. Even St. Paul acknowledged that it was better to marry than to burn! What I am getting at is the difference between what is appropriate for those who can devote their whole selves to God, and those who have to engage in seeking him whilst being in the world.

We know that from the start, Christians have lived in a variety of ways, and the Church has not pronounced that one is better than another - as long as that way of life is based upon His teachings, and is devoted to Him. So, for one, there may a call to an ascetic life as a monk; to another there might be the call to the mutual martyrdom of marriage and the care of children.

At all times, and in all places, there have been those who point to one or two passages in the Bible (which, let us not forget, grew with and out of the early Church) and seek to make them central; the Church has always told us to read the Bible in its full context - which, of course, includes the Church itself.

One of the great marvels of our faith is that it can embrace the Emperor Constantine in his palace, the widow and her small coins, the outcast and the sinner; and all of them can find salvation in Him, if they but repent and walk in His way.

I hope that is helpful.

In Christ,

John
  • [quote author=Anglican link=topic=5148.msg69175#msg69175 date=1175152690]
    I hope that is helpful.

It most definitely is! Thank You!