Famous Coptics - Please add to this tread!

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I just found out that Haifa Wehbe's mother is Coptic and so i thought i would start a thread here of famous people who are Coptic, or of Coptic Lineage..

I'll start by the few that i know:

Sir Magdy Yacoub - World renowned heart Surgeon
Boutros Boutros-Ghali - Former Secretary-General of the United Nations
Sam Soliman - World Champion Boxer
Akmal Saleh - A famous Egyptian/Australian Comedian
Dina Powell - A top George Bush aide, also works very closely with Condolezza Rice

And of people who have Coptic Lineage..

Haifa Wehbe - Lebanese entertainer who's mother is Coptic.

I cant really think of other famous people right now, but please, if you can add anyone to the list do reply!! I hope find this thread interesting because its nice to know of famous people who are of our background..

Rabana maak,

Matt

Comments

• Sorry, also -

Bob Marley - YES, he was Coptic, he converted as he was dying.. I can send anyone links if they are interested.
  • [quote author=matt88 link=topic=5135.msg69001#msg69001 date=1174726073]
    Sorry, also -

Bob Marley - YES, he was Coptic, he converted as he was dying.. I can send anyone links if they are interested.

yes please
  • http://www.popstarsplus.com/music_bobmarley.htm

go down to the paragraph that says death and it says he converted to coptic- ism lol i kno not a word but yea you know wat i mean
  • [quote author=Christforlife7 link=topic=5135.msg69020#msg69020 date=1174761339]
    http://www.popstarsplus.com/music_bobmarley.htm

go down to the paragraph that says death and it says he converted to coptic- ism lol i kno not a word but yea you know wat i mean

Thanks a lot Christforlife.

The section says:
    "Death
    A month before his death, he was awarded Jamaica's Order of Merit. He wanted to spend his final days in Jamaica but he became too ill on the flight home from Germany and had to land in Miami. He passed away at Cedars of Lebanon Hospital in Miami, Florida on May 11, 1981. Before his death he was baptised into the Coptic Orthodox Church. and took the name Berhane Selassie (meaning the Light of the Holy Trinity in Coptic). His funeral in Jamaica was a dignified affair with combined elements of Ethiopian Orthodoxy and Rastafarianism. He is buried in a crypt at Nine Miles, near his birthplace."

That is from one of his fan clubs, but that he converted to be Coptic is noted on many of the sites dedicated to him.

Rabana maak,

Matt