adam and watos in lent?

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
hey guys, i was just wondering, you know how in lent the tunes are not split by adam and watos, rather by weekdays and weekends.  However, the other day i was in tasbeha, and all the psalis that are added before each hoos and stuff are all labelled as either watos or adam.  so what does this mean?

-peter

Comments

• Dear Copticpete,
    For your knowledge, adam and watos don't actually refer to the "days", they rather refer to the length of hymns: so you would still find adam and watos hymns together in the same Mass (like aspasmos adam and aspasmos watos). As for the Great Lent, the difference in tune between the weekend, and the weekdays is more to do with the hymns that we say in the Mass, and not entirely in tasbeha (however, you still have to follow the day tune for the doxologies, and the theotokia lobshes), which is partly because the length of these hymns is rather watos, similar to the Great Lent Mass Hymns. This is my personal view about this, but I don't stand on strong grounds, so let's hear from other members who know more. Please mention me in your prayers.
  • [quote author=CopticPete link=topic=5113.msg68800#msg68800 date=1174245148]
    hey guys, i was just wondering, you know how in lent the tunes are not split by adam and watos, rather by weekdays and weekends.  However, the other day i was in tasbeha, and all the psalis that are added before each hoos and stuff are all labelled as either watos or adam.  so what does this mean?

in this case it means the tune.