Monasticism, other

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
I have not been going on tasbeha much anymore because of university.. Im not like others maybe.. I can't get high in school or uni and still get good marks.. Please pray for me

About monasticism ... the bottom comes from the book "Sublimity of monasticim"

http://coepa.org/tNG/cnt_download.php?id=329&dname=Download2tNG/cnt_download.php?id=329&dname=Download2

At times, there are specific family circumstances that
hinder a person from becoming a monk, for example:
1. A widow with an only son. It is not appropriate for
to leave his mother and go to the monastery. He
not feel comfortable there, and the devil will always
fight him through his mother.
2. An elderly couple with an only son, as he is
support in their old age. If he leaves them he
continually be thinking of them, and this will spoil
relation with God.
3. A brother who is the eldest in a family of many sisters,
whose father has just died. He is the one responsible
his sisters; otherwise, they may go in the wrong
direction.
4. A brother of younger brother and sisters, he is the
bringing them up and is responsible for them.

In all these cases, one should not make haste to
monasticism as long as his family needs him, either
socially, financially or emotionally. If such a person leaves
his family and heads to the monastery, then St. Paul’s
words apply to him. He should at least postpone the idea of
going to the monastery until his circumstances change.

My question is doesn't that exclude everyone or nearly everyone?

a male who has no sisters might have a mother whose father died..or she might die one day.. does that still exclude him?
and how do you know if someone really needs you emotionally or are just pretending they do.. they have other people they can talk to

Also I want to ask why should a person be a monk and not a priest? don't they both live a life of repentance? does a priest serve more? in what way does a monk serve? just by prayers? but can't a priest pray too? maybe God accepts the monks prayers more? does the monk get to know his sins more?
will the monk be judged for not serving?
if a monk has a talent in mathematics will he be judged for not using it?

How can a person grow to love God more? is the life with God just repenting of your sins? can you know God like you know a person? how?
I know God deserves out love because He died for us and is merciful to us .. but can you have fun with God?

When I am studying should I fast by only eating non tasty food? shouldn't I eat for nutrition and give myself temporal rewards if I study for so long a time? it might encourage me to study.. I don't mean eating meat or dairy products.. but eating siyami tasty food

Please pray for me

Comments

• [quote author=mikeforjesus link=topic=5110.msg68752#msg68752 date=1174121990]

My question is doesn't that exclude everyone or nearly everyone?

a male who has no sisters might have a mother whose father died..or she might die one day.. does that still exclude him?
    and how do you know if someone really needs you emotionally or are just pretending they do.. they have other people they can talk to

no i dont think it does exclude everyone.....the key word is "haste".....dont make decisons without thinking about it thoroughly and seeking God's guidance........if it is God's will that you become a monk or priest and in fact you are the eldest in your family the Lord will make way for you...........i think as an elder in your family you would feel obligated regardless of what people telll you..........it is unfortunate tho that the males and elder siblings carry such a load.............and i dont EVER think that people would pretend to need you.....you know within yourself the need within your family it may not be physical perhaps just material or financial but simply think of the consequences of your abscence..........and the way i see it our parents have given up plenty for us so being there for them in their time of need should not be a concern........... i dont think waiting for the right time to serve should be a problem
  • thanks for your reply.. pray for me
  • i have a friends, they are brother and sister, and have only mother...they are now monks...and mother lives here in the town..........she lives in monastry St.Georgi and he lives in St. Arhangel Mihail...