Science and God

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
The question is simple. How does science (not only evolution but biology.. chemistry.. physics.. geology.. astronomy.. etc..) prove God's existance. I've heard it said many times that 'Science doesn't disprove God.. it proves His existance' but I can't find any articles or anything that explain it. So will someone explain?

Comments

• This type of thinking and philosophy is not easy. It takes an effort to see the wonders of the world in connection with the creator. You can not just easily look at something and say that it is a wonder of God. You have to contemplate on all aspects of science in relation to the its purpose which God gave it. The first step to finding this relation is to first make sure that what is being learned is really science. There is definitly alot of science out there it is completely based on probability and weak evidence. Once you know for sure, through knowledge, and your own experience, you can start to think about this science's purpose in its relation to God.
    By the way...St. Anthony did not have a Bible. He had nature. Knowing nature is how St. Anthony brought himself closer to his God.
  • For example in science they talk about the big bang ok. They say that from just a little speck came out so much energy. And as you know that energy cannot be created or distroyed so how could this little speck creat that much energy. The only explanation is God created that energy.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

I have always been hesitant to say that science is capable of proving (or disproving) the existence of God.  The aim of science is to explain the physical world.  It can, in no way, account for anything supernatural/spiritual.  God, as we know, is Spirit, and cannot be confined to a test tube.  He cannot be empirically poked and prodded and tested in anyway.  Thus, we have to realize the limitations science has when it comes to matters of spirituality.  God is Love, and as such, He must be experienced.  Love cannot be seen, nor can it be tested, but you know it when you feel it by your experience of it.  That is the same with God.  The only way you can prove to yourself (and only yourself) that He exists is by experiencing Him.  You cannot explain love to a person who has never felt it, or experienced it.  What makes you think you can explain or prove God to someone who has never experienced Him?  Just my thoughts.

Please pray for me.
  • Science will always change, the bible will never. What do you trust, something that was always there, or something that always changes, and never truly proven. its a harsh way to look at it, but its another perspective.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=fatcopticmike link=topic=5089.msg68485#msg68485 date=1173756553]
    Science will always change

Science does not change.  Our understanding of the world around us is what changes, and so our understanding of the mechanics of this world (i.e. science) also changes.  The same way that our understanding of God and the Faith has developed over time.  The concept of the Trinity was not very well known in the OT times and even early on in the NT times.  Our understanding of who God is has developed and that is reflected in our faith.  If this were not the case, then there would not have been any need for any of the Ecumenical Councils.  So, in short, science does not change and our faith does not change.  It is our understanding of these subjects that evolves and develops, as more and more things reveal themselves to us.

Please pray for me.
  • Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

There is no way you can 'prove' the existence of God to those who do not want to believe; and there is no need to prove it to those who do believe.

Remember what the Risen Lord said about Doubting Thomas - blessed are those who believe and yet have not see. That is what Faith is about - believing because we know in our heart and our soul that He is our Father.

Or so it seems to me.

In Christ,

John