Tomb of Jesus

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey, guys im not sure if you've all heard about this "tomb of jesus" that they claim they've found holding the remains of jesus, mary magdalene, and their "son" juda.  well theres suppose to be a special on it on sunday, but what do you people think the explaination for this could be?

Comments

• yeah  i heard about this but i dont think its true where did they find the tumb beacuse i ask my father and he said the tube is in Isreal el ots i thin k i spelled it wronge. :)
  • when and where is this program going to be on?
  • on the discovery channel...not sure when
  • i dont think there are remains for Jesus
  • Apparently, Discovery Channel has gone crazy with this... They also have a book which is already in circulation and Barnes & Noble claims its the 17th best selling book from them... This is absurd, it really is. The documentary will be aired on the Discovery Channel on March 5th. 
  • [quote author=CopticPete link=topic=5053.msg68106#msg68106 date=1172711546]
    Hey, guys im not sure if you've all heard about this "tomb of jesus" that they claim they've found holding the remains of jesus, mary magdalene, and their "son" juda.  well theres suppose to be a special on it on sunday, but what do you people think the explaination for this could be?

i think this is all just fake. i'll have to watch the show and see for myself. but for the info they have about the tombs on the site, (http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/tomb/explore/explore.html), some of the tombs has the names written in differnet languages. why i that. also i think having a family tomb like this one is kind of a rich person's thing. Jesus' family wasn't that rich. it showed that in the bible by how did joseph didn't look like a son of david since he didn't have much money when he and st. Mary went to bethalhem. please don't trust what am saying here.....i might be wrong.
  • This discovery is absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

First of all, the names Jesus (Joshua) and Mary (Maryam) were as common in Palestine at that time as Muhammad or Abdul are today. And so the tomb could belong to anyone quite frankly.

Secondly, the Semitic script is very difficult to render, and its not even certain that the inscription reads Jesus at all.

Appart from the names, and the approximate dates, there is absolutely nothing to link these to our Lord. And since the names and dates prove nothing, it is pretty safe to say that this whole discovery does absolutely nothing to discredit or validate a reevaluation of the Christian faith.

Christ is Risen! and we have no reason to suggest otherwise.
  • First we must remember the way the media always goes into overdrive on these things - remember the 'Gospel of Judas' etc., etc.

Secondly, the man making it, James Cameron is a big-budget Hollywood mogul - 'Titanic' and 'Terminator', so the T.V. people have spent a lot of money on the programme and will hype it up.

Third, as Orthodox11 says, the number of people at that time called Joseph, Jesus and Mary was legion.

Fourth, since Our Lord rose from the dead there could be no body to go into any tomb.

Fifth, since Our Lord neither married nor had children, this can have nothing to do with Him.

Sixth, how likely would it have been that He would have named His child after Judas - that would make real sense!

In other words, as Orthodox Christians we know this is nothing to do with us; and as sensible people, we know the media are not sensible, they are sensationalist. The TV people have put a lot of money into this and want to make it back by persuading people to watch it on the spurious ground it is something to 'disprove' Christianity.

Well, you can't 'disprove' Christianity. You either have Faith that what the Church has always taught is true, and you either know in your heart that Jesus is Lord, or you don't. If you don't, fair enough, but don't presume to be able to comment on those who do; we don't go around telling you what to believe - just what we believe.

That's my view, at any rate.

In Christ,

John
  • Lol this is probably some Jewish scheme to convert Christians
  • Ya actually just today i read a few online articles that say many of the same things that you guys have said.  Its definately not true, logically, scientifically, and through our faith.  One thing that made the most sense to me is that their basis behind it was saying that jesus and mary were married and it wasnt just another jesus and another mary who were family because theyre dna did not match meaning they were not family.  However, in one of the articles i read, it quoted many JEWISH, not even christians, that said that there is no way this dna evidence is credible.  They say its hard enough to match dna from crimes that happened a couple of years ago, let alone 2000 YEARS.  The DNA samples were obviously contaminated as those archeologist and scientists said.  Also just as a few of you said, the names were extremely common, andd it is also known that jesus's family was poor.  Only the rich could afford to burry their dead in such a way. Another thing is, jesus's family came from Nazereth, an area of israel in which the people used the place they come from as a last name (jesus of nazereth) however, they say that these remains were probably those of a family who originated in galilee where the names were written in a different manner.
    So thanx for clearing that up again.
  • To date, there have been approximately 1,000 ossuaries found.  Out of them, there have been two (2) ossuaries with the inscriptions "Jesus son of Joseph" in separte tombs found.  The average population of Jerusalem at the time of Jesus was approxiamtely 100,000 persons.  Given all this, that would mean that if you dig up all the ossuaries of all 100,000 or so people who lived in Jesus' time who'se bones are in ossuaries, you will likely find over 200 persons named, "Jesus son of Joseph" on them.  This is because 1000 (ossuaries already found) x 100 = 100,000, so mathematically, the equivalent 2 (ossuraies with the inscriptions "Jesus, Son of Joseph" ) x 100 = 200.  The find is nothing special, particularly when you consider that so much of the population was named Joseph and also many Mary's, Miriams, and Mariams were present.  If a family had five siblings and some of them were females, there's a very high likely that some of them would be named Mary.  It was such a common name that the Virgin Theotokos' own sister was also named Mary.

What is dishonest is that the so-called scholar who is featured in this show says that he believes that this really is the tomb of Jesus the Christ, and at the same time, says that "this does not undermine CHristianity in anyway". 

Any reputable scholar would be honest to to say, "I know the Bible teaches that if I can prove that Jesus did not rise from the dead, then Christianity is a myth and Christians are of all people fools to be pitied, as the Bible says" 
  • Furthermore,

there are tombs of Jesus in Kashmere India, Mexico, Japan, and Israel.  And he is supposedly burried in all of them!!!!
  • ya all that is true, ya well im going to go watch this thing right about now, however right after it is a "critical look" on the show.  hopefully this will reverse this guy's effects on everyone.  thanx again people.
  • Matthew 28:11-15
    11While the women were on their way, some of the guards went into the city and reported to the chief priests everything that had happened.
    12When the chief priests had met with the elders and devised a plan, they gave the soldiers a large sum of money, 13telling them, "You are to say, 'His disciples came during the night and stole him away while we were asleep.' 14If this report gets to the governor, we will satisfy him and keep you out of trouble." 15So the soldiers took the money and did as they were instructed. And this story has been widely circulated among the Jews to this very day.

John 12:30-34
    30Jesus said, "This voice was for your benefit, not mine. 31Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out. 32But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself." 33He said this to show the kind of death he was going to die. 34The crowd spoke up, "We have heard from the Law that the Christ will remain forever, so how can you say, 'The Son of Man must be lifted up'? Who is this 'Son of Man'?"

Notes: Since Jesus Christ came in the world the Jews have been afraid and jealous (read Acts) of His successful ministry, deeds and glory and refused Him as written in Isaiah. They refused the establishment of the New Covenant: the Heavenly Kingdom of God as He planned for ALL mankind - though they have to accept the nowadays Judaic faithed gentiles (don't they).

John 3:14
    14Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up,
    Luke 17:25
    25But first he must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation.
    Luke 24:46
    46He told them, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day,"

Luke 23:53
    53Then he took It down, wrapped it in linen cloth and placed It in a tomb cut in the rock, one in which no one had yet been laid.

Notes:
    * the Tomb was "cut in the rock"
    * "no one" else is buried in this single tomb
    * it has a heavy stone for cover (still there)
    * the Tomb of Jesus Christ still exists today: every year worshipers (and pilgrims) witness the heavenly light and phenomenal flashes coming from the tomb of Our Lord Jesus Christ during prayers at the Feast of Resurrection and use it to lit and bless their hand-carried candles (candles specially made for this occasion, so they can take them away to lit their homes with the blessings of this yearly miracle). Photos and recorded footage for this great yearly event are widely available.

Jesus did not get married before Crucifixion and certainly not after His Death and Resurrection. Furthermore He did not need to: He has 1000x1000s and 100,000x100,000 of daughters and sons, and of all nations.

Dear, I think Jesus Christ's DNA (as they claim they lab "analysed") would also be traced in all the multitude of Christians who partake His Holy Body and Blood for over 2000 years.

Finally, does this come out conveniently especially at this timing of the great lent, just as the so-called Da Vinci code stuff was released last year. Do they really hope to alter, diminish or weaken faith in Christ before the passover?

Have the NG become corrupt or are they so short of funds to release such adventurous not so scientific and historically twisted claims?

Let us pray to God He will turnover all these bad moves into global benefit.
  • yeah i heard of this and jewish ppl will do ANYTHING..seriously ANYTHING to break down christianity. we all know that they're wrong, and i mean, we know Jesus woke up from the dead already, and this is just a whole big thing to make us seem like we lied about Jesus and the bible is just a whole big lie. the GOAL of jewish people is to cut down christianity, completely, and convert everyone into being jewish. and JESUS WAS BURRIED IN A TOMB. with NO ONE there. therefore, this is all wrong. and i dont think we should worry at all because God is definatley going to solve this for us.  :-\
  • A little extra dose of medicine from the Holy Bible:
    1 John 4
    "Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world."
    ... and St John goes on to say,
    "...and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh, is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world."

Clearly these verses explain what we as Christians are facing in this World today.

GB.

• Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

Since we know that Our Lord was raised from the dead of the third day and later ascended into Heaven, it is no doubt interesting that an ossuary bearing a similar name has been found, but it is sad that someone should be trying to make a connection between the two things; there isn't one.

Still, some people will do anything to make money - and we know you can't serve God and Mammon.

In Christ,

John
  • All I want to say is that there is nothing to be afraid of and that we should pay more attention to our spiritual life then to this non sense. Read your gospel, pray to God, read history or spiritual books and leave these dicussions for the people that are strong in the faith and in Spiritualaty not Theology. For theology and these kind of dicussions without having the faith bring you down. Pray for my weakness
  • all of thatis bologny, seriously when you think about it God was not even buried in a tomb, plus he rose from the dead, Jewish ppl are trying to abolish christianity but it is not going to work

Egy
  • Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

Let us retain a sense of perspective and Christian sense here.

We know about the tomb of Jesus Christ. When Mary Magdalene went there on the third day it was empty; it was empty because He is Risen; and by that we are saved if we repent and follow Him.

If others choose to get excited over TV programmes so be it; we get excited over something real - that we are saved through the Risen Lord, with whom, at every Liturgy, we can be united. Now that is exciting. What is more, we are part of the Church He founded; what it teaches is what it received from the Fathers, who received it from the Holy Apostles, who received it from Christ Himself.

How sad that our TV people cut themselves off from the real Good News; and how fortunate they are that, however far they may be from Him, He is always near them; all they need to do is to turn to Him.

Tomb of Jesus? Yes, we know, it was empty - that's very old news.

In Christ,

John