woman and a young girl, and between a beautiful girl and an
ugly one..
Such bonds also make one discriminate between money and
stones..
What about praise and insult then?
Once a monk asked St. Macarius for advice.. St.Macarius
ordered him to go and praise the dead. He did so but no one
replied to him. The saint then ordered him to go and insult
them, but when he did no one replied either.
Then St. Macarius said to that monk, 'You also must be like
the dead since you have died to the world.. You must not be
affected by anything whether this be praise or insult'..
Once a rich man brought some money to the monastery in
order to be distributed among the monks.. the abbot wanted to
teach that person a practical lesson, so he put the money aside
and rang the bell. When the monks gathered the abbot asked
them to take their need of the money as an expression of their
love for the rich man. But the monks looked at the gold as if
looking to stones and took nothing of it in spite of it. Their
behaviour had so great effect on that person that he asked to be
a monk..
"

From reading that I think I might be just like that monk who was fought with self-righteousness?

will I not be saved if I do not reach the state St Macarius the Great talked about?

Comments

• i would seriously love to hear an answer
  • I dont think so, only Saint reach that level, but maybe its wishing and endeavoring hard to reach that status which is suffiecient to be saved,

JG
  • [quote author=mikeforjesus link=topic=4921.msg66609#msg66609 date=1169636822]
    From reading that I think I might be just like that monk who was fought with self-righteousness?

will I not be saved if I do not reach the state St Macarius the Great talked about?

You, as a person who is living in the world are not a monk. St. Makarios said to the monk:
    "You also must be like the dead since you have died to the world."

So he's doing what he's supposed to be doing in the monastic life. And he will be judged for what he does on the last day but on another level. Not as those who are living in the world as us.

As for the story, it's a great way to keep yourself (as those who are not monks) away from the great sin of pride.
  • initially i read your question mike and interpreteed it as the others have but then i thought about it about more and i think you meant, correct me if im wrong that you think you, as a man, a human being, fight self righteousness rather than you desiring to reach the saint's level of wisdom, if im wrong please feel free to correct me

also God will accept us as we are on judgement day, we are all sinners and only few are blessed with priesthood etc but we are all blessed with God's love, the key is faith not measuring yourself by higher standards although in saying that we need to learn from our beloved saints, you need not reach the saint's level to be saved....
  • I do desire to reach that level..

the way of service does not seem suited to my personality .. I think monasticism is more suited to me..
    I am shy.. and introverted maybe.. I would rather pray and talk to God alone and work alone.. like if I could.. make a basket or mow the lawn and other work..

Whenever I am with someone I do not have much to say and alot of priests they talk about God for a long time...

I just say Hi and how are you and want to escape quickly... I sometimes think there is something hugely wrong with me..

• [quote author=mikeforjesus link=topic=4921.msg68155#msg68155 date=1172890850]
    I do desire to reach that level..

the way of service does not seem suited to my personality .. I think monasticism is more suited to me..

I am shy.. and introverted maybe.. I would rather pray and talk to God alone and work alone.. like if I could.. make a basket or mow the lawn and other work..

Whenever I am with someone I do not have much to say and alot of priests they talk about God for a long time...

I just say Hi and how are you and want to escape quickly... I sometimes think there is something hugely wrong with me..

good luck reaching that. it's a huge blessing if you really wont to go that way. it woudn't be easy. some people say the service here in the world, as hard as it can be, it is considered easier than monastasisim. of course you need to connect with you father of confession and see if God had send you the ticket for this path.
  • Mikefor jesus, i am sure there is nothing wrong with not communicating a lot with peopel or prefering individual work rather than group work. I am like that too. A lot of people thinkn i am really quiet. If you look at it closely this behavior can be a gift from God. Being out-going is a good thing, but being quiet might be even better. From personal experience, when you are quiet you find so many ways to get closer to God. I am not saying that one is better than the other i am just saying that quiet time is really important in your relationship with God. Even some one said before that when i stop talking, i permit God to start talking.

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with you man. But that path is going to be hard - good luck and god be with you on that one