Why

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
hey guys im totally confused why does my father smoke? it makes me so sad and mad and even angrey when he smokes or when i smell smoke on him. I told him and he said he would quit. he smoked before and then quit but last summer he went to egypt and returned back smoking. i have done all i can i have prayed to god to help him quit and i have asked mother and my brother and sister to tell him to quit yet he just gets mad and goes off smoking. please guys help me out. :-[ how can i get my father to quit. i dont want it to be to late :'( i love my father dearly but i hate him when he smokes. Some times i just hold my feelings and in the end of the day i burst into tears :-X :'( :-[ please pray for my father and to all those who smoke. Pray to god that he helps them to quit.

Comments

• Hey konafa,

Did you try to give him facts about how smoking is bad???

bentBABAyasooa`

pray for me please
  • i guess just keep praying for him and just don't give up on him

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness
  • my uncle is a smoker too, so i just used to soak his pack in water and then give it back to him with my tongue sticking out like this :P
    but since i wasn't living with him, i couldn't get him to quite. you can do this too with your father, but remember don't show him anger or any of those feelings... just do it with a smile as if your teasing him and playing around with him. Once or twice, and he'll understand (he might get angry at you at one time, but that shouldn't be a problem :D)

plus, prayer is your friend.
  • [quote author=AnbaBola link=board=10;threadid=4717;start=0#msg64337 date=1165204028]
    (he might get angry at you at one time, but that shouldn't be a problem :D)

And have a shoe thrown at you, but that shouldn't be a problem!!

hahahahahaha.....

i am kidding!
  • And have a shoe thrown at you, but that shouldn't be a problem!!

looks like you have tried my technique!!
  • well... this is hard..cuase usually persistance is thekkey factor..

just keep showing him that u r upset at what he is doing..

dont be ashamed to show him your tears or share your feeling..

tell him dad i love u and it cuase i love u that i dont want anything to happen to you...maybe even ask him so whewn your sick..what are we going to do..even tell him..dad so when u die young..what am i to tell my friends..that u commited suicide??? scare him... affect him.... u can do it..

persistance is all it takes..

let abouna talk to him... that might anger him a bit..but he might convince ur dad..

• hi konafa,
    if u want to scare ur dad just use my own story,
    tell him that my dad had angina pectoris and a heart attack 2 weeks ago bcoz of smoking.he had to make a support in his arteries.doctors told him if u smoked only 1 more cigarette u will die.
    so tell ur father,do u have to get angina and heart attack before quit smoking?

hope this helps a little
  • I don't think you realise how hard it actually is to overcome an addiction. My guess is that your father has been smoking for a while.. It's become part of his life. Even if he quits (which he deffinetly can) he will usually turn to smoking for comfort when things get too overwhelming and the cycle will start all over again.

He needs to believe in himself & WANT to quit. He needs to turn to God for His aid. You can talk to him and everything else that everyone mentioned above [except soaking it in water, smokers tend to be rather sensitive about their cigarettes] but I think you will find that the most effective method is to pray for Him. & don't just pray, you must have hope.

My father is also a smoker, and I must admit I have tried everything from hiding his cigarrettes to taking him on a guilt trip and even lecturing him about the effects it'll have on his health & his familys'. Nothing worked. Well, not long term anyway. I have to admit, somewhere along the way I lost hope.. As in I stopped trying. I stopped praying for him, everything. I may have even run out of respect for him [not just for the smoking but other things that contributed]. But I thankyou, because you have reminded me that with Christ there is always hope.

So together we will pray that through Christ both our fathers and all others facing the struggle will overcome their weakness and have the perseverence and strength to get them through.

:D
  • [quote author=konafa link=board=10;threadid=4717;start=0#msg64321 date=1165198829]
    hey guys im totally confused why does my father smoke? it makes me so sad and mad and even angrey when he smokes or when i smell smoke on him. I told him and he said he would quit. he smoked before and then quit but last summer he went to egypt and returned back smoking. i have done all i can i have prayed to god to help him quit and i have asked mother and my brother and sister to tell him to quit yet he just gets mad and goes off smoking. please guys help me out. :-[ how can i get my father to quit. i dont want it to be to late :'( i love my father dearly but i hate him when he smokes. Some times i just hold my feelings and in the end of the day i burst into tears :-X :'( :-[ please pray for my father and to all those who smoke. Pray to god that he helps them to quit.

Hi Konafa!

Listen, your father sounds like a good man... he's obviously managed to raise a good child. Look, if you want him to smoke, tell this to your father:

Dad, when you smoke, i suffer, i actually inhale the fumes you smoke. That makes me a passive smoker. It's distroying my health. -- then just dig it in a bit more... about how much it's destroying your health...

Also, if you love me, then you should take care of your health because we love u very much. It doesnt do me any good to ever see u fall ill.

I think people who smoke think that they are the only ones who are ruining their health ; but if they look closer, the people who are inhaling the fumes they produce are also suffering , and what's more - suffering against their will.
  • Apparenty paaive smokers suffer even more because the smoke they inhale is not filtered. Just heard it somewhere... Unreliable ! lol.
  • it might be a little late but just pray even more
    try 2 make him realize how much god will judge him
    ooooo
    and i definetalii agree with all of u guys\
    i like AnbaBola's idea.
    thats pretty funnii
    umm.....
    leme tell u a story
    my friend knows this copt that goes 2 her old church
    we use 2 c her steel(not 2 judge)
    and one time she stole my friend's mom's money
    they all got mad
    this is the sad parrt
    she is divorced and the coprtic women works in mcdonalds and smokes
    my friend's mom finalii resolved the problem
    she went 2 the ladies house and she saw the lady smoking
    the ladies 2 young kids were there and they were soo sad
    wat do they do?
    my friends mom hid the ciarettes from the lady and she was so addicted 2 the cigarettes she was bout 2 cry 4 them
    my friend's mom talked it out with her and she stopped smoking
  • thanks guys for all your responses.  it actually made me cry i started giving up last week bugging my father on how its bad for him and hiding it away and seeing him go off with the car to buy some.  it really hurts and i've cried about it and told my mother but i dont want my father to hate me for all i do,i kinda nag him every day. i had el baba recorded saYing how its a sin yet that did nothing ,just when i was about to get over it and let him wIn i read your replies and let me tell you i wont Quit untill my father Quits smoking. ill pray to all those fathers who are smoking and with the help of god they will all Quit that nasty habbit of theirs.  thanks again to all who replied thank you from the bottom of my heart.  konafa
  • Thats exactly what you should do. Just keep praying.
  • I know what you mean Konafa, my dad smokes as well and he also quit for 6months and went back to it. The only thing i did was show him the effects of smoking and that smoking is against christianity it worked before so its bound to work again.

Hope i helped,
    remember always pray.
  • just make sure you pray for him all the time and since you truly care don't give up on him no matter what  my cousin and my aunt are both two of the most heaviest smokers i've ever met i always just pray for them just keep in mind that he still is you father smoker or  non-smoker
  • nicoderm: our patches help you through the rough patches

you heard that commercial??? apparently its supposed to work
    but i have to ask you something: does your dad WANT to quit??? if he does, then there are a lot of things he can try. i've heard of hypnosis, that gum thingy, patches...

well anyway i know how you feel. my uncle smokes too and my 5-year-old cousin is starting to develop breathing problems from it.i guess they dont really care that much in egypt or maybe they dont know the effects of it...
  • I agree with Person55 if your dad doesn't want to quit you really can't do much more than what you have already done
  • a lot of men smoke, i know that ur dad wants to quit becasue he loves u and he knowsa that when he smokes u r hurting him, there uis just one problem

quitting is so hard [I NEVER smoked] but my dad tried it for 3 weeks, and came back to it pray for him!!!

hope i helped, pray for me

EgY