Serious Personal problem...

edited January 2007 in Youth Corner
I have a problem with a certain type of sin...(lustful). Now you can piece together what the sin is because I don't want to say it. I struggle with this sin everyday and I know it is taking me away from God, but I don't know how to stop. Everytime I make a commitment and say "I won't do this," later on in the day I end up falling into the devil's trap...I need help bad...PLEASE HELP (URGENT).

Comments

• well the best thing to do is pray and talk to your FOC and confess about it. try to preocupy your mind with other stuff during the day and when you get lustful desires try to just waive them off. i know that might not be easy to do but you must not give up. because when you give up hope then the devil has really won. just don't give up and keep at it. stuff like that doesn't happen over night. every time we fall we must get up.

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness
  • Thanks for your advice jydeacon...It will help...

God bless...
  • Any more advice?...Please?
  • Hello there
    First of all I really admire that way that you talked about your problem and that you didn't hid anything. You must know that God is very happy from you that you are trying to overcome a certain sin to become close to Him, everytime you fall, stand up and pray and don't let the devil make you feel sad. If you lose hope then it means that the devil really really won his fight against you. Try things like: listening to alhan, praying, doing activities like teaching lil kids, playing sports, going out with good friends that like you. I I will tell you story that you will really really like, its exactly the same as yours but you just need to look at yourself at the correct way, one day a person came to HH pope shenouda and told him exactly like how you said: HH Pope shenouda looked at him with a lovely smile and said to him: "DON'T SAY EVERYTIME I STAND I FALL, SAY EVERTIME I FALL I STAND" AND THERE IS A VERY BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BOTH, EVERYTIME YOU TRY TO OVERCOME THE SIN, GOD GIVES YOU A CRWON OF PURITY BECAUSE OF YOUR TRY. Another story is that there was a young monk who used to always fall in lustful sins, but he use to always stand up and fight with patience, he had a great hope and faith that God will take him away from this sin, one day he did the sin again, he stood up fast and prayed to God and said "God you know how dirty I am and I know that I don't deserve to be your song but please help me to overcome the sin" suddenly the devil appeared to him and said "aren't you ashamed to talk to the holy god with your mouth you sinner" the young monk said to the devil "Well you you strike me with a hammer of sin and I strike you with the forgivness of God and lets see who is going to win. Since that time the devil left to him and didn't fight him because the devil knew that God will give him crowns for his fight towards sin. So lol no matter how many times you fall in sin, alwaysssssss stand up and fight, and the first step is by confessing and trying good habits, god be with you, please PM me any time if you need any help

Baladoos
  • Thank you so much baladoos...you really have helped me a lot with my problem.

May God bless you and reward you for your kindness.
  • Have you tried of confessing about it? and telling your abona?
    I am sure he is going to be a great of a help! ;)

Also, If you are like in your teen years then that is normal; however, it is not a nice thing to do.

Think of the consequences you are going to face on judgement day because of that sin.

Everytime we sin we crusify god all over again. :'( and I sin million times a day! :'(

May god forgive us all,
  • ..what's the sin?
  • ..what's the sin?

I believe its none of our business in knowing the nature of his/her sin. No sin is greater then any other, but we tend to associate particular sins as being far more corrupt and sinful then other sins.

My advice is to talk with your father of confession, because during confession it’s the Holy Spirit that gives you advice.

In His Name
  • ..what's the sin?

its the one that God can forgive....

ask God to give you fear of Him and of eternal condemnation, this always helps overcome any sin of any kind since we sin not knowing the consequences if we don't repent.

also ask for tears, it will make u feel sorry about it and will help you stop.... tears is a very close gate to the heart of God.

remember us.
  • oh i see. wait....tears...like crying tears?
  • I think I know what my problem is....I think that sadly...I have done the sin too much and have forgotten the consequences of the sin. Maybe if you remind me of why this particular sin is bad, it will help me in trying to stop myself from commiting it.

I really do appreciate all of your comments and they really have helped me.

please forgive my ignorance...
  • no, please forgive my ignorance...i don't even know what this thread is about ( other then it's about some sin) , lol...but w/e the sin is...you're still forgiven, we have a VERYYYYy mercyful God.
  • oh i see. wait....tears...like crying tears?

thats what i meant copticcross3!

Maybe if you remind me of why this particular sin is bad, it will help me in trying to stop myself from commiting it.

here are two simple examples that i personaly think of:
    1. ever get burnt from the oven? and u get a baa`lolat mayaa (somen like water under ur skin... whatever that's called)
    that same pain + more the sinners will feel
    2. ever get a sun burn after spending a nice day at the beach and have a FUNNY friend tough you on ur shoulders? remember how bad that pain is.... sinners will feel more

aside from the pain and stuff... no Jesus... sinners don't enjoy Jesus and his presence....no Virgin Mary... no saints... no angels... no etc.. etc.. etc..

I'm sure ppl can give you great examples from the bible (old & new testament)... but i like to simplify matters for my brain to comprehend big things...
  • [quote author=joyisgod link=board=13;threadid=4882;start=0#msg66158 date=1168853585]

..what's the sin?

I believe its none of our business in knowing the nature of his/her sin. No sin is greater then any other, but we tend to ***ociate particular sins as being far more corrupt and sinful then other sins.

My advice is to talk with your father of confession, because during confession it’s the Holy Spirit that gives you advice.

In His Name

Actually, there is one sin that's unforgivable: denouncing (cursing) the holy spirit. But I'm sure he wasn't talking about that.

Anyways,
    If i'm not mistaken , he is talking about lusting (looking at someone and lusting). i too had that problem and still think about it a little bit. i too am trying to overcome it.

i hope ur talking about what i'm talking about. if not sorry. but now what i do is everytime a girl passes by or on t.v. or anywhere, i just look at her for no more than 1 second and continue to what i was doing. even if i say i will not sin (lust), if i keep on staring as in being brave that i won't sin, it is likely i will. just try to stay away from anything that will make you think about it , ii know it is very hard. but that's why we have to pray to God so He can give us strength. Also like someone above said, occupy your time with other things like hobbies and those sorts.

hope this helped.
  • hey hailemikael....
    not trying to be negative or rude....
    i don't think denouncing the holy spirit is about cursing the holy spirit.... even though it might mean that way.... I think it means denial of its works.
    If the Holy Spirit tells me to not do something but i still do it non-stop... and not planing on repentence till the day i die... then this is denouncing the holy spirit or the works of the holy spirit. its basically not listening to what He tells you.

p4m
  • so denouncing the whole spirit..is not listening to it?...whatif you can't hear it?...ughh...copticism is so confusing. once i think i got it..bam.
  • AnbaBola, read Mark 3:29.

From what i understand, if you were a firm believer in God but then u denounce or deny it, you will not be forgiven.

speaking of this, satan is at work and some people called "the rational response team" are challenging people to deny the existance of God (holy spirit). watch the video here:
    people are doing it too. but i think most people that are doing it were never christians themselves be4 and they never believed in God , they were atheists so i dont think God won't forgive them if they go to Him later on their lives.

but some of them were christians and they took on the challenge and denied the holy spirit. :-[ u can watch the reply videos... ver y sad. those who deny it as christians who once believed in christ seem to be the young ones too. but someone b4 told me that this only applies to those christians who really really knew God and were close to Him. God knows that whoever tasted His love will never denounce Him and maybe that's why He said that. perhaps those on the videos did not really know God and that's why they're doing it and maybe He will forgive them (i hope) if they go back to Him.

• hey...
    here is mark 3:29 nkj

29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation

God will forgive everyone... even the unspeakable sins... St. Peter cursed Jesus and denied him 3 times... but Jesus forgave him. No sin is greater than God's love.

about blaspheming and denouncing the holy spirit... it means continues denail to death... then he/she is subject to eternal condemnation. but if this person repents at the last minute of his life... God will accept him!

i'm sorry i didn't watch the movies, but i know if they repent... they will be forgiven cause God Jesus is sooo sweet and He wants us all to repent.

p4m plz

• beloved eternal life,

i know exactly what your talking about, i am going through the same thing. it really stinks doesn't it. always say to myself i wont do it again and you get to the point and promise god that you will never do it again, but you end up doing at again. thats how i am. i always try to stop for long periods of time, like for a week or two or even three. but i neer got passed three. i used to always do the sign of the cross, it worked for 3 weeks, but at the end it stopped working because i let it stop working, my faith started to fade. but now that i finally opened my eyes, i noticed that it is kind of stupid and pointless, its more of a lustful urge. the best thing that wrks for me is to leave the place i am when i start having those urges or feelings. for example go take a walk or go watch t.v. but the most important is the sign of the cross, for about 3 weeks i kept doing it and the thought immediately went away but i started to get weaker and satan beat me >:( , try the sign of the cross, guaranteed. and also sit and think about it, is there gain out of any of this? i really hope this post helped, and email me if u want, [email protected]
    P.S. dont think your alone on this one, many many many people go through this, not just you and me
  • Thanks a lot egydave for your great advice. I really appreciate your help. I will try your advice and I think it will most likely work me.

Again, thank you for taking the time to help me. I really do appreciate it.

May God bless you.
  • go 2 the church and talk 2 ur FOC