Why do they call it Xmas

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I was wondering, why do people call Christmas Xmas

They leave out the word Christ.

Comments

• I think because they are too lazy to spell it out!
  • LOL

I thought it had something to do with that they didnt beleive in christ and they still wanted to celebrate the holiday

lol
  • I do NOT think so!

They think they are cool, by doing it "XMAS" instead of Christmas!

But one thing i do NOT understand about the american culture is...... where do they get eggs and bunnies from in EASTER!

???

I would appriciate it if somebody opened my eyes and explain it to me!

• I never got that either
  • Maybe somebody can tell us and open our eyes!
  • [quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=board=11;threadid=4711;start=0#msg64275 date=1165088363]
    I do NOT think so!

They think they are cool, by doing it "XMAS" instead of Christmas!

But one thing i do NOT understand about the american culture is...... where do they get eggs and bunnies from in EASTER!

???

I would appriciate it if somebody opened my eyes and explain it to me!

i think it has to do with rebirth..u kno how eatser consists of rebirth?..when Jesus got up again? so the eggs probably have to do with rebirth...but i dont kno about the rabbits!
  • i found this website that explains why they use rabbits and eggs

http://www.christianitytoday.com/tc/8r2/8r2047.html

I dont know how credible it is though
  • There is beautiful symbolism behind the X in Xmas. The X represents two things:
    1) A cross.
    2) X: as in the first letter of the word Ekhristos in Greek.

Therefore, it originally was not an attempt to remove Christ's name from Christmas. However, since most people do not know this, I don't like it because it replaces the word "Christ" with what has become a meaningless X. How about +mas??
  • thats a good point
  • I agree mjoe80
  • In Greek, Chi-Rho, is the first two letters of the greek word "Christ".

Roman letter "X" resembles the Greek letter Chi.
    Roman letter "P" resembles the Greek letter Rho.

"Christ" was often abbreviated as "XP" or an even shorter "X"in Greek. So if we abbreviated the "Christ" as X in Christmas, then we get Xmas or X-mas

I hope that helps to understand where the X in X-mas came from. Though I personally think that it takes away or hides the truth of the Nativity of Our Lord from my perspective.
  • these pages give details
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas
    http://www.starstuffs.com/xmas/xmas.html

quoted from the second site:
    It wasn't until around 1038 the Mass of Christ or Cristes Maesse was recognized.
  • well i have been told that we should never write x mas becasue that enourages it..

pople that write x mas..they try to exclude the christ part of christmas..and therefore write an x...

although it sounds true..i think the people who do write it..its all unintentional...