Catholic Confession

edited July 2004 in Faith Issues
My friend and I have been bothered by this, sometimes we feel too embareresed to confess to some one that knows us, however my friend thought about confessing to a Catholic Priest since he can't see u, I never thought about doing that but I am also bothered that in Confession I don't confess everything....

So is it Ok to confess to a Catholic Priest?

Mike

Comments

• yea because their advice isnt personal, u go to a preist and have 1 father of confession because they follow up with u, if ur veiled behind a partition u wont look somebody in the face and feel bad for ur sins, u need somebody who will follow up and make u stop the bad habits not somebnody who just listens and thats it, and also i dont think we approve of their absolutions for ur sins, a catholic priest can't forgive u ur sins, u dont even take communion at the church

theres too many advantages to confessing to a coptic priest especially if ur coptic lol
  • Tony's definitely right in all he said.

You need the feeling of being ashamed of commiting a sin so that next time the moment comes before you choose to sin again, you think about that feeling.

I hope that explanation didn't confuse anyone.

For He created the heavens: and all their hosts: and established the earth: on the waters.

- Chris
  • Actually the confessions in the Catholic Church are normally in the open nowadays. The open of private confession is still available.

It would be allowed for a Coptic Orthodox to confess to a Catholic priest, but only when a Coptic priest is unavailable or in an emergency. It is important to remember that the Catholic priest CAN absolve you, but when your Church is available, it would be inappropriate.

Of course, no one will ask if you are Orthodox or Catholic when you go to confession.
  • well its not about that its open "nowadays" because it was always an option, however behind the veil is what the catholic church is famous for, and media propagates that idea in so many movies
    i think these days with all types of communication around u, EVEN if a catholic priest would be able to absolve u, u woudlnt need to confess to them, you can always confess by phone, email, etc...repentance however is the key, living a life of repentance (which is what we are called to do along with regular confessions) can in many ways replace confession for a short period of time IF there is absolutely no way to reach a priest, however these days its easy to reach a priest in some way or the other
    a catholic priest however is not the immediate answer since there are other orthodox churches who are in communion with us which im sure u will find at least 1 in 99% of places in the world
    and i think the priest SHOULD get to know u, or else confession would be so impersonal, catholic priests dont advice they tell u to say a number of hail mary's and bam ur forgiven, thats not the idea behind confession, its spiritual advice to help relieve u of ur habits not just a word from some form of clergy so u can go back and do ur sin all over again
  • i agreed with everything up til:
    "catholic priests dont advice they tell u to say a number of hail mary's and bam ur forgiven, thats not the idea behind confession, its spiritual advice to help relieve u of ur habits not just a word from some form of clergy so u can go back and do ur sin all over again"

not true. the priests i go to always advice me. the prayers are a supplement to reconciliation, to help you gain strength, also they will tell you to make restituition if its directed at someone else.

btw, confession is not valid by phone, fax, email, etc.. only in person..
  • Servant of Jesus:

Canon 844, sec. 3 says: "Catholic ministers may licitly administer the sacraments of penance, Eucharist, and anointing of the sick to members of the oriental churches which do not have full communion with the Catholic Church, if they ask on their own for the sacraments and are properly disposed. This holds also for members of other churches, which in the judgment of the Apostolic See are in the same condition as the oriental churches as far as these sacraments are
    concerned."

Canon 844, sec. 4 says: "If the danger of death is present or other grave necessity, in the judgment of the diocesan bishop or the conference of bishops, Catholic ministers may licitly administer these sacraments to other Christians who do not have full communion with the Catholic Church, who cannot approach a minister of their own community and on their own ask for it, provided they manifest Catholic faith in these sacraments and are properly disposed."
  • thats not true, so many people use this method in circumstances that there isn't one available, and many bishops and priests see nothing wrong with using technology these days to keep up with spiritual advice especially if one in person isnt available, i know many bishops that have talked about this in their sermons Bishop Youssef is one
  • I was referring to Catholic confession, I have never been to Coptic Orthodox. Sorry for not being specific, Egytony.
  • so then ur catholic? u shoulda said so man, i wouldnt have been so rough on ur church ;)
  • Hey guys, thanks for all the information.

Michael_Thoma,

I have a question, how come you say Hail
    to Mary and not something to Jesus Christ, is there anything said to Jesus Christ. Also, I have heard that there is no specific Absoloution as well, the Priest just says "I forgive you in the Name of Jesus Christ" is that true?

However, the Coptic Confession includes 3 sections every Confession :

• Telling about your sins(main part)
    • Telling the Priest your problems and recieving advice
    • Priest reviews how you are doing Spirittually by making sure you pray from the Agpeya everyday and read the Bible and also that you fast the number of hours you need to fast

Khen Bekhrestos Icos Benchois,

Mike

• Catholic confession varies depending on which Church (Latin, Melkite, Coptic, Maronite, Syriac, Syro-Malabar, etc..)
    but mainly:

1) Telling about your sins

2) Telling the Priest your problems and recieving advice

3) Act of Penance (this is a reparation of sorts for committing the sin), the priest will ask you to do a good deed, like, do an extra kind act of charity, pray for the person who you fought with, or say a prayer.

4) Prayer of Contrition (Lord, Jesus Christ I am sorry I have offended you.. or something similar)

5) The priest will say the Absolution. The words vary depending on which Church, but in the Latin Church it is:
    I absolve you of your sin, in the name of the + Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. (Go in peace or similar)

There are many prayers to Jesus as well as Mary and the Saints

Here's a few:

Anima Christi

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
    Body of Christ, save me.
    Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
    Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
    Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
    O good Jesus, hear me.
    Within thy wounds hide me.
    Permit me not to be separated from thee.
    From the wicked foe defend me.
    At the hour of my death call me.
    And bid me come to thee.
    That with thy saints I may praise thee.
    For ever and ever. Amen.

Another Prayer:

Lord Jesus Christ,
    Pierce my soul with your love
    So that I may always long for you alone,
    Who are the bread of angels
    And the fulfillment of the soul’s deepest desires…

May my soul thirst for you,
    Who are the source of life,
    Wisdom, knowledge, light
    And all the riches of God our Father.

May I always seek and find you,
    Think upon you,
    Speak to you
    And do all things for the honour
    And glory of your holy name.
    Be always my only hope,

My peace,
    My refuge and my help
    In whom my heart is rooted
    So that I may never be separated from you.

Saint Bonaventure.

A Byzantine Catholic Prayer:
    THE JESUS PRAYER

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

• I'll try getting you the English Absoloution, it's diffrent and longer, any PK's help??

Mike