Becoming involved in the Coptic Church

Ok everyone, I have a problem i need advice with.

I have very recently (about 6 month) tried to become involved in the Coptic Church, before this i have been very very distant from anyone Coptic and the Church. I basically dont know anyone Coptic apart from 2-3 ppl.

The Coptic Culture is very different from any other culture and it is very hard to get your head around.

So my question is HOW do i become involved and make new friends, which im struggling to do because everyone seems to different to me. I would like practicle advice not just "Pray to God, He'll fix it"

and what advice would u give to someone that is not Coptic at all, if they were interested in the Church, because thats face it you dont make it easy.

Comments

• well the only practical advise i would give u is that you should just become more active in the church become a deacon (if your not one already) hang out with the youth (assuming you are old enough) and just put your mind to it. go to the sunday school/youth meetings, make an initiative to make new friends in the church and act yourself. help in cleaning the church and maintaining it. the list is really endless possibilities of the stuff you can do at church.
  • Im trying to become involved by aoing to bible study.

But as for being myself, I always am myself but i find i get myself into a lot of trouble or doin things that are not "appropriate" which half the time i dont know is not "appropriate" until someone is quick to tell me that what im doin is wrong. Wats right and wats wrong is very confusing for me at the moment.

Especcially things that I find very trivial like watching the simpsons for example, this really annoys me because i cant figure wats wrong with a cartoon. and more importantly it does stop me from being who i am because im always worried that i mite offend someone so i just keep quiet instead of saying how i feel.
  • O.k. here's some practical advice..... (from one in the same position)

first u must come to the realizaion of a couple of things. You said a very important and revealing statement... "before this i have been very very distant from anyone Coptic and the Church." The fact that u have for the past 6 months been trying to get involved in the church indicates 2 things: 1) God loves you dearly 2) His Spirit is speaking to yours.
    This being said, let me explain a little further. I recently listened to a sermon from Father Bishoy Andrawes called "the whole armor of God" In it he distinguishes how one can tell the difference between the voice of God and the voice of the other team. He stated that anything that makes u feel rushed or that u must do/attain/accomplish NOW is not of God. I have experienced this myself. God has his own timing and he likes to take his time with shaping/forming/molding/bringing us back to him. What is the reason for this? A house that is thrown up hurriedly will also develop problems quickly and implode on itself. However, a house that is built slowly and painstakingly with a good foundation will last indefinitely. Therefore as Christ says, concern yourself with the matters of the Kingdom first and all other things will be added to you.
    Now u said something else very important. U mentioned that u want "practical" advice. What could be more practical then asking God for your needs? Who better to grant u the things that u need? For example, when Adam required company, what did he do? Did he think practically and devise a plan to fashion himself some company, or did he go and ask God? and what were the results? It can get no more clear than how Christ said it "Ask and You shall receive" Tell God that u need a good buddy who is a Copt and he will put one in your path. BTW, if u have 1 good friend, u are lucky. That's all u need boss, dont look for a slew of friends. But if u ask God for that 1 good Christian friend, and u follow his commandments, he will bless u with above and beyond what u could possibly wish for. BUT U MUST HAVE FAITH.
    Now, as JYDEACON said, just show up! You go to bible study, that's great!!! Do some more stuff. Go to every thing u possibly can. Speak to your father of confession, ask him to give u specific jobs/duties/responsibilities. This will make u new aquantainces quickly. Also, speaking from personal experience, I will tell u that amazing things will happen. For example, I am just coming from Asheya. There was this man there tonight who I have seen many times but have never spoken to before, I honestly have no clue who he is or what his name is. He came up to me and said hi, gave me a hug and spoke to me as if we had been old friends for many years. God works in mysterious ways. It was so uplifting.
    Finally, on the point of right and wrong. Be yourself for now. People will point out to u if u make a gross error of faith, dont take it offensively, u are a new sheep in the flock and should welcome any teaching offered. As far as the little things, God's Will will slowly convict u in your heart as to what is right and wrong. This is also from personal experience. Things that I thought were all good sometime back are no longer so for me. Trust in God, read His word, and He will teach u His will for your life. Please write back, let me know if this all makes sense to you, and keep us posted on your progress. BTW, u now have a Coptic friend in me. PM me anytime.
    God Bless u all....
  • Thanks Forgiven1, that was actually quiet helpful.

Someone previously told me that the devil was making me think this way because he is jeolous that i was becoming involved in the church and not to listen to him.

during the week i honestly had enough and I was going to give up and just hang out with my normal friends on the weekend instead of church.

But i thought i'll give it one last try and step it up a bit as well. So i went to church Fri. Nyt and had confession, then I went to Mass Sat. morning and had communion and finally i went to bible study Sat. Nite. and after all that I did enjoy myself Sat. nyt and got to chat with a few ppl.

Hopefully tho that wasnt a one off "good nyt" and it continues

And just to clarify the only reason I asked for practicle advice is that i already know that i need to Pray and that GOD will fix it, I just wanted ideas and thoughts of practlice things i can do as well. I dont know i guess i wanted to hear something innovative or a few words of encouragement.
  • [quote author=Forgiven1 link=topic=4650.msg63512#msg63512 date=1163912612]
    O.k. here's some practical advice..... (from one in the same position)

first u must come to the realizaion of a couple of things. You said a very important and revealing statement... "before this i have been very very distant from anyone Coptic and the Church." The fact that u have for the past 6 months been trying to get involved in the church indicates 2 things: 1) God loves you dearly 2) His Spirit is speaking to yours.
              This being said, let me explain a little further. I recently listened to a sermon from Father Bishoy Andrawes called "the whole armor of God" In it he distinguishes how one can tell the difference between the voice of God and the voice of the other team. He stated that anything that makes u feel rushed or that u must do/attain/accomplish NOW is not of God. I have experienced this myself. God has his own timing and he likes to take his time with shaping/forming/molding/bringing us back to him. What is the reason for this? A house that is thrown up hurriedly will also develop problems quickly and implode on itself. However, a house that is built slowly and painstakingly with a good foundation will last indefinitely. Therefore as Christ says, concern yourself with the matters of the Kingdom first and all other things will be added to you.
            Now u said something else very important. U mentioned that u want "practical" advice. What could be more practical then asking God for your needs? Who better to grant u the things that u need? For example, when Adam required company, what did he do? Did he think practically and devise a plan to fashion himself some company, or did he go and ask God? and what were the results? It can get no more clear than how Christ said it "Ask and You shall receive" Tell God that u need a good buddy who is a Copt and he will put one in your path. BTW, if u have 1 good friend, u are lucky. That's all u need boss, dont look for a slew of friends. But if u ask God for that 1 good Christian friend, and u follow his commandments, he will bless u with above and beyond what u could possibly wish for. BUT U MUST HAVE FAITH.
            Now, as JYDEACON said, just show up! You go to bible study, that's great!!! Do some more stuff. Go to every thing u possibly can. Speak to your father of confession, ask him to give u specific jobs/duties/responsibilities. This will make u new aquantainces quickly. Also, speaking from personal experience, I will tell u that amazing things will happen. For example, I am just coming from Asheya. There was this man there tonight who I have seen many times but have never spoken to before, I honestly have no clue who he is or what his name is. He came up to me and said hi, gave me a hug and spoke to me as if we had been old friends for many years. God works in mysterious ways. It was so uplifting.
              Finally, on the point of right and wrong. Be yourself for now. People will point out to u if u make a gross error of faith, dont take it offensively, u are a new sheep in the flock and should welcome any teaching offered. As far as the little things, God's Will will slowly convict u in your heart as to what is right and wrong. This is also from personal experience. Things that I thought were all good sometime back are no longer so for me. Trust in God, read His word, and He will teach u His will for your life. Please write back, let me know if this all makes sense to you, and keep us posted on your progress. BTW, u now have a Coptic friend in me. PM me anytime.
    God Bless u all....

hi. Where can i get that sermon from Fr. Andrawes??? Thanks