Speaking against the Holy Spirit

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
"Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be Forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come." matt 12:32

what exactly does this mean?
may God guide u to Guide me.
George

Comments

• If someone speaks against the Son of Man they can repent later but the work of the Holy Spirit is to tell people to repent. Each time we don't repent we blaspheme the Spirit. The unforgivables is sin is not any sin we may do but the resistance of the Spirit's work that comes after.

Remember the context of the passage. They said that Jesus was casting out devils by beelezeebub so He warned the Jews because what they were saying is walking down a path that is very hard to return from.
  • CopticSoldier's right
    Also, keep in mind that the pharisees not only questioned Jesus as the Son of Man, but questioned the power by which Jesus worked, hence, the Holy Spirit.
    To speak against Jesus is okay, because if u repent, the Lord will forgive you, but if u speak against the Holy Spirit, one of the three states of God Himself, you will not be forgiven because you have then refused and denied God and all His Glory. Beware of turning you back on God and refusing the faith...because then you'll have to worry about not being forgiven... then your in real trouble!
  • [quote author=SMS link=board=4;threadid=175;start=0#msg1087 date=1083355916]
    To speak against Jesus is okay, because if u repent, the Lord will forgive you, but if u speak against the Holy Spirit, one of the three states of God Himself, you will not be forgiven because you have then refused and denied God and all His Glory. Beware of turning you back on God and refusing the faith...because then you'll have to worry about not being forgiven... then your in real trouble!

hey guys... sorry i am a little confused at your replies..

please clarify.. how is Jesus not one of the three states of God himself? ..

... i mean i know there was this story in the bible of a man and his wife .. who denied the Holy Spirit and lied against the Holy Spirit and died at once.

sorry i don't know where exactly the story is in the bible! but i hope someone can explain this topic further!

pray 4 me..
    DimYana
  • The sin against the Holy Spirit, is not accepting repentance. To deny that the Holy Spirit can forgive is the sin.
    So, if you go to confession and get absolution, you have no longer sinned against the Holy Spirit.

• DimYana I'll try to explain it for u as i understand.
    Jesus is a complete God as he is complete human.
    So we call him ( as he called himself) the son of man,
    And he is the son of God (God's word) When u speak
    against the son of man ,He prays for u ;He forgives.
    Like what happened on the cross the jews never believed that he is god they were insulting the human.
    The God praied for them. On the other hand if u speak
    against the God who is going to pray for u, who is going to forgive u ?
  • By the way if u read my words in " Marrying a Catholic"
    u 'll see me as if i'm talking against the Holy spirit.
    But I'm telling u i'm not.When u think about something
    And u don't find good answer against what u saying,
    U'll be sad ( that what i'm feeling right now).
    I'm talking about church rules, regulations, the way they direct us to behalf & believe in our realation with God &The people.When the father wants to teach his son something he gives it in the ideal way ( never to look at the girls, while he himself does)that is my feeling about our church rules ( We r the best, We r right & everyone else is wrong) that is the ideal teaching but not the stander for god with people.
    Not only the christian sons of god, He is looking for Nynaoa The whom don't know their right hands from the lift.
  • faithless, do you believe God Himself ordered the Church to install the Sacrament of Marriage?
  • + "Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be Forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come." (St. Matt 12:32)
    + " If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will pray, and He (God) will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death, I do not say that he should pray about that" (1st. John 5:16).
    + What is the sin that does not lead to death?
    1) "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men" (St. Matt 12:31).
    2) every sin that repent it and confess it to our Father of cofesion, get his absolution, and partake of the Holy Eucharist.
    3) there is no sin with out forgiveness escept the one we do not repnet, & confess it, & partkake of the Holy Commuion.
    + What is the sin that leads to death?
    1) "But every blashpemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men, ..... either in this age or in the age to come" (St. Matthew 12:31-32)
    2) The Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.
    3) God is Spirit = The Holy Spirit is God.
    4) The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit is One God in three Hypostases.
    5) Thus, any blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is directed to the Holy Trinity, the Father, the son, and the Holy Spirit, the One God.
    6) So, Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit = Blasphemy against Christ, = and against the Father.
    7) Whoever deneis Holy Trinity, Christ Divinity, The Holy Spirit Divinity, the Incarnation of Christ, His crucifexion, death, resurrection, asscion to the heavens, and send the Holy spirit, or the work of the Holy Spirit and insists on denying = Blasphemy against the Holy spirit .
    8) Since, there is no other way for slavation except through Christ = no forgivness to those who deny Christ neither in this age nor the coming age.
    9) Also, those who resist the work of the Holy Spirit, and insist on not repenting and confessing their sins.

• So if somebody speaks against the Holy Spirit, and say, converts, but later realizes his/her mistake and truly repents and confesses, will he/she be forgiven?
  • yes, because in that case he accepted the work of the Holy Spirit in him, which means he repented and not longer denied or refused the work of the Holy Spirit.
  • [quote author=DimYana link=board=4;threadid=175;start=0#msg6277 date=1089247405]

... i mean i know there was this story in the bible of a man and his wife .. who denied the Holy Spirit and lied against the Holy Spirit and died at once.

sorry i don't know where exactly the story is in the bible!

1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession, 2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet. 3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? 4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God. 5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things. 6 And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him. 7 And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in. 8 And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much. 9 Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out. 10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband. 11 And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things. (acts 5)

i think u mean this story ;)
  • Oh, I get it. Thanks hos irof. :D
  • no problem
    de rien
    geen dank
    keine dank

(guess what languages ;D)