Should a person give up sport during the fast?

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
Should a person give up sport during the fast?

Since the person may enjoy it so much..

Comments

• I think that is silly, because you don't give up something during a fast just because you "enjoy it". If you want to give up something during a fast, it should be because you want to spend more time with God, and you feel that whatever you want to give up is something that consumes your time. So if sports are something that consumes your time, that you tend to put before God, that consumes a lot of your thoughts, then if you want, give it up during the fast.

However, sports are in no way a sin, or something all people should give up. Sports are wonderful because they teach a lot of good life lessons. People learn co-operation, teamwork, strategy, and many other skills when playing sports. Sports also keep you healthy, so I personally wouldn't advise giving up sports, especially during really long fasts like Lent. I would probably try to give up something like TV, or MSN, or music during a fast, because those aren't really beneficial, they're just time consuming.
  • I agree with you and i kinda don't. Sports do take up a lot of time. The very time consuming ones are usually soccer, football, basketball, and baseball. Some people will skip church just because they have a game,which is definatly not right, but going to church in fasting time is very important. Another wrong thing would be not praying when you wake up or before going to sleep because you have a game or some sort of practice you're going to. but if you still do these things during fasting times then i think you should be ok.
  • i think u should not becasue it is good for u.. u can just ask ur abouna..
  • Guys lets think logically about this ok... Sports is an awesome thing!! dont ever give it up cos it Does teach u a lot! BUT... in saying this... nothing should come in your way with Christ... so if YOU feel it is then cut down a little.. don't let it be your main priority in life!!
    with all honesty if you really wanted to fix the problem then attend more masses during the fast during the week. i'm sure your church has early and late masses during the week that u can attend during the fast!
    you just need to be smart about it and manage your time wisely
  • ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna! ask abouna!
  • umm isnt the whole pint to give up something you enjoy?
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=board=13;threadid=4284;start=0#msg62503 date=1162076668]
    umm isnt the whole pint to give up something you enjoy?

Not exactly. We fast in order to overcome the various passions and addictions that separate us from God. It's not simply because we enjoy something.
  • many people are addicted to sport and many forms of excersise.. if you feel you are addicted you should use fasting time to gain some control.